SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. DU - 3:30 Gameday

AZSIOUX

Just be glad we don't have Blais running the show--his team collapsed down the stretch and couldn't even get his boys into the dance in Mpls. Sandelin was no better.

We could go after Eaves. He's won a banner, so he's the kind of coach we need.

i would take bennett over eaves any day

Wait, so your idea to fix the coaching is to replace Hakstol with his assistants, either new or old? Haha. Yeah, I'm just going to ignore you from now on.

I am in no way condoning or suggesting anything. Just want to point out that Rube Bjorkman (or Bjork Rubeman as some call him) was replaced by one of his assistants who did pretty good: Gino Gasparini

• Upvote 1

Just be glad we don't have Blais running the show--his team collapsed down the stretch and couldn't even get his boys into the dance in Mpls. Sandelin was no better.

We could go after Eaves. He's won a banner, so he's the kind of coach we need.

Man if Eaves coached UND and had a season like this year, it wouldn't be "burn the ships" it would be "burn the Ralph."

Give those coaches the resources and amenities of UND hockey at the REA and see what happens…oh wait we did that already…turned out pretty decent.

Both those coaches have natty's and one was at a school with "less." (No nattys for UND's current "new" coach.)

Well Blais won his titles with the old Ralph and he didn't make the Frozen Four with the New Ralph. 

We are supposed to have more talent then St.cloud so why is their power play better than ours?

I would like to hear some discussion on this - in my opinion this is one of the areas that falls on the coaches - I'm not saying we never score, but our power play has looked miserable for years.  Some games it seems we never even get things set up.  Why do lesser talented teams have much better power plays.  It makes no sense to me.  

Our PP baffles me as well.

You see teams like Miami and SCSU and UMN have PP's that move the puck so well and enter the zone so easily.

Is it just me, or is our PP zone entry so crazy predictable?

Every time...dman behind the net, skates to our blue line, passes to either wing going up the boards...that wing is then met with 2 opposing players so he dumps the puck into the zone.  From there, it's about a 50% shot at which team gets to the puck first.

It's quite frustrating.  To me, that was one of the best skills that Rocco possessed...put him on the PP and just let him skate it into the zone with speed.  Worked way better than just dump and chase on the PP.

I don't think it's a personnel issue...both Schmaltz's have skill and great passing, Pattyn is great to take away the goalie's eyes, Mattson is lethal from the point or dishing it to O'Donnell for the one-timer.  They just need to work on that zone entry.

Our power play was brutal this weekend. If you think about the Clown vs Brotherhood game, Clown who does have a good pp absolutely generated zero chances on a critical 5 minute power play that could have changed the game. It's no secret teams that typically play well at special teams and get good goaltending win this time of year and that is why Miami won last weekends tourney. We need to be better at these areas of the game and it's definitely on Haks radar. I hope the power play playbook wasn't left on one of those ships...

We are supposed to have more talent then St.cloud so why is their power play better than ours?

Good question. Hell, when CC came into the Ralph last weekend their power play was actually a decimal of a percent more effective than UNDs over the course of the season. I'm not kidding.

this is disgraceful

After being at both games Sioux Fri and Sat and not getting home until 8:30 Sun night from the Twin Cities, was curious what was being posted following two very disappointing games. Looks like I'm in yours and many other camps here on my opinion on what I witnessed. Between the Sioux lack of any real urgency/intensity and the TC as a facility/tourney host, doubtful I'll return next season if we make it.

Terribly hard to score goals when you can't even put the puck on net...

Spot on. 3rd period Sioux putting on some pressure and 3 or 4 straight shots, hard like rockets and they go wide of the freaking goal. Goalie didn't even have to make saves. Hard to score when you don't put SOGs.

After being at both games Sioux Fri and Sat and not getting home until 8:30 Sun night from the Twin Cities, was curious what was being posted following two very disappointing games. Looks like I'm in yours and many other camps here on my opinion on what I witnessed. Between the Sioux lack of any real urgency/intensity and the TC as a facility/tourney host, doubtful I'll return next season if we make it.

I live in Minneapolis, but happened to have a trip planned that overlapped with Friday.  Still, I almost went down and scalped tickets for Saturday for my kids and I- so glad that I did not.  This is the first time that I haven't been to the Final Five or Final Faceoff in over a decade- I'm pleased that I saved my money!

I live in Minneapolis, but happened to have a trip planned that overlapped with Friday.  Still, I almost went down and scalped tickets for Saturday for my kids and I- so glad that I did not.  This is the first time that I haven't been to the Final Five or Final Faceoff in over a decade- I'm pleased that I saved my money!

It wouldn't have cost you anything they were giving tickets away. :) 

I wonder if there was a big importance put on getting through the weekend with no more injuries and no suspensions? 

We were wondering why there seemed to be a real lack of physical play by our team.  I know we're not the big hitting team we've been some years in the past, but it seemed like there was a lack of physical play.

so if hak and co win it all this year and he leaves for the riches of the nhl and faison offers the head job to brad berry he would say "no thanks?"

yeah right

You listed 3 coaches. I said 2 of those would never coach in Grand Forks. Figured you were smart enough to figure out which 2, but I guess not. I was referring to Eades and Bennet, which obviously leaves Berry in the mix.

I have to agree.  There was really nothing to be gained by winning those two games.  I wonder if there was a big importance put on getting through the weekend with no more injuries and no suspensions?    I can't help but think that this may have been by design, "playing a little possum" if you like.  Wouldn't you expect big hits and stupid penalties as the frustration built?  

Incredible.  

It could all be a great conspiracy.  If I am Quinnipiac, what video do I want to see?  I want to see the two tournament games from this past weekend to learn how SCSU and DU beat UND.  The UND team I saw at the Target Center was not the same team that I have been watching the past few weeks.  The breakouts were different and the zone entry was completely different.  It could be a plan that the opponent will use these videos for preparation and will face an entirely different UND strategy.  Could be!