SiouxSports.com Forum

Predict the New Nickname

GeauxSioux

I fully understand and appreciate your argument against Roughriders based on historical evidence. I think for a lot of people it's kinda 'close enough', and the best option they have heard. Teddy Roosevelt is a large source of pride here, and probably will continue to be despite only spending a couple years here nearly bankrupting himself due to a cow-killing blizzard. 

However, I really can't stand the whole, 'we can't use it because it's Red River's' argument. It just seems so small time to me, and I can't imagine they are many people outside of the Greater Grand Cities area who could care one iota about sharing a nickname with high school.

Yes it would be very small time of UND to steal the a local high schools nickname, and besides it is in no way unique. 

My long shot names are rapers and/or pillagers

If they're marketing savvy, they'll go with Ermines.  It links to the state, matches UND's brand of being a tough, high-energy school that punches more than its weight, and it's completely unique and original.

92814551.IPfpIZK3.ermine5.jpg

And don't forget, mostly white!

• 4 months later...

We have arrived at a point where there is much angst between the nickname folks (whichever that may be) and the no nickname camp.  Back in March I predicted Nodaks would be the name with some basic reasoning. I am now putting forth Nodaks as a compromise name.  Some say UND has to pick a nickname, others say that is hogwash.  Some in the no nickname crowd don't want a nickname, because they want to keep Fighting Sioux in perpetuity.  If a any new nickname is chosen, such as Sundogs or North Stars, there will be a huge shift in logos, marketing, etc.  If Nodaks was to be chosen, I can see that as easier vehicle for the no nickname camp to keep their beloved Fighting Sioux going.  Why?  Because Nodaks is just saying North Dakota, which is essentially saying "no nickname".  So, for those who say that UND has to have a nickname and for those who say they don't want one, Nodaks works.

We have arrived at a point where there is much angst between the nickname folks (whichever that may be) and the no nickname camp.  Back in March I predicted Nodaks would be the name with some basic reasoning. I am now putting forth Nodaks as a compromise name.  Some say UND has to pick a nickname, others say that is hogwash.  Some in the no nickname crowd don't want a nickname, because they want to keep Fighting Sioux in perpetuity.  If a any new nickname is chosen, such as Sundogs or North Stars, there will be a huge shift in logos, marketing, etc.  If Nodaks was to be chosen, I can see that as easier vehicle for the no nickname camp to keep their beloved Fighting Sioux going.  Why?  Because Nodaks is just saying North Dakota, which is essentially saying "no nickname".  So, for those who say that UND has to have a nickname and for those who say they don't want one, Nodaks works.

We were all fans of the Fighting Sioux name.  We all hoped things could be worked out so UND could continue to use it.  That didn't work out.  My question is why would we want to "keep the beloved Fightind Sioux (nickname) going"?  What good is that going to do?  I get it that some people have move on quiker than others.  Suggesting that UND pick a name so people cannot not move forward is a horrible idea.  We will all eventualy move on and accept a new name.  Doing something that allows fans to hold on to the old name will never accomplish this.  

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/20661-why-not-choose-nodaks/

I suggested Nodaks back in July instead of having no nickname.

I believe it's going to be Fighting Hawks or Rough Riders. Sorry Mafia Man, I know you're in favor of the Sundogs nickname. :D

My top 2 are RR and NS........my prediction is Sundogs or Fighting Hawks.

..............now watch it be Nodaks.

No UND/North Dakota

No Nodaks

No Sundogs

No Fighting Hawks

That leaves North Stars (or Stars) and Roughriders.

Roughriders seems like the best option considering what we have to work with.

I encourage everyone to support Roughriders so we can move on and focus on winning some championship gold around here (in case you haven't noticed, we don't do that much anymore).

• Upvote 1

Until there is an official announcement that the NCAA will not approve of it without threat of sanctions, no name is the best choice.

hawks-  sure

north stars- fine

nodaks- whatevs

sundogs-  uffda.... Ok I guess.

roughriders-  serenity now!

hawks - not good but ok

north stars - ok

nodaks - not good but may grow on me before i die

sundogs - never

roughriders - not good but ok

Until there is an official announcement that the NCAA will not approve of it without threat of sanctions, no name is the best choice.

hawks-  sure

north stars- fine

nodaks- whatevs

sundogs-  uffda.... Ok I guess.

roughriders-  serenity now!

I like Hawks, and Roughriders

I don't like North Stars (too much Minnesota in that name)

Nodaks can be a filler to have the Fighting Sioux as the "unofficial" nickname of UND just like it (Nodaks) was when Flickertails was the nickname

As for Sundogs....I don't think so.

I have also suggested Nodaks for essentially the same reasons stated above. If the UI Illini can handle the phonetic reference and OU is the Sooners, then UND stakeholders could eventually identify with Nodaks.

I predict it will either be Fighting Hawks or Roughriders.  I would bet on the former.

I don't think Kelley will allow just plain "North Dakota" on the ballot.

In an ideal world, it would have been Screaming Weasels.  I would have made a fortune....