SiouxSports.com Forum

Students kicked out

Siouxfull

Whos he, he sucks sh.....has been going on for over a decade. Blame the older generations.

Over a decade? That's for sure. I believe it's been going on for at least 3 - 4 decades. I was at school 81-85 and believe it was going on then or at least soon thereafter.

Over a decade? That's for sure. I believe it's been going on for at least 3 - 4 decades. I was at school 81-85 and believe it was going on then or at least soon thereafter.

I was not even in kindergarden in '85. So forgive me for not knowing how long its been going on.  :p

• Upvote 1

I remember the first time I heard it in the mid-80's and it was simply "Who's he, he sucks!". It wasn't til several years later that the manure reference was added to the end of the statement. I wish it was like that still today.

I'm no fan of Dr. Kelly, but if these students have an issue with the loss of the Fighting Sioux nickname shouldn't they have had a "Fire Stenehjem" banner instead? I mean he is the one who actually negotiated the settlement agreement with the NCAA. I understand that would be pretty inconvenient for the one kid since he's head of the college Republicans but he should at least be accurate when assigning responsibility for the loss of the nickname. Not that the pro-nickname supporters have ever concerned themselves with accuracy.

Don't you have somewhere else to be? Like desecrating some beloved donors grave?

• Upvote 1

Yes, thankfully the nickname is gone so that ISIS won't attack Grand Forks, UND won't be closed permanently, and whatever else was supposed to happen if the Sioux name wasn't scrapped. Whew!

I oftentimes wonder if for some nickname supporters this is the first time they haven't gotten their way on something in their entire lives.  To spend years continuing to piss and moan about this really makes me wonder how much time some of you have on your hands.  Are you not adults?  There are toddlers who are more resilient.

Every argument I see from the pro-nickname side on this seems to boil down to if we all would have stuck together, crossed our arms, and called the NCAA "Big Meany's" they would have eventually backed down.  What world do you people live in?  

Don't you have somewhere else to be? Like desecrating some beloved donors grave?

I'd never dream of desecrating Ralph's nor anyone else's graves.  I have to admit though that I'm half surprised his body hasn't been exhumed by some of the posters on this board and his bones worshiped as holy relics. 

I have to admit though that I'm half surprised his body hasn't been exhumed by some of the posters on this board and his bones worshiped as holy relics.

I think his bones were secretly placed inside the statue at REA, weren't they?

More FACTs is:  The Commissioner of that joke league-the league which caused all of our opinions on how to handle the name issue to change because of fear of rejection by them- proclaimed that he was told to publically state that the league would kinda feel negative about the name if it was not removed and that something bad could happen.

...How is Florida State and Illinois doing with the with the problems this is causing them??? 

Illinois and Florida State don't have the same issue we have so they don't really apply to this conversation.   Florida State got tribal approval and I am not sure what Illinois did to avoid problems.  

You can pretend that we had a way out but we didn't and that happened before Kelley came into office.  The only program that wouldn't have been totally screwed was the hockey team.  That may be the only program some care about but it isn't the only one on campus.

I was strong nickname supporter until the cost got too high.  It wasn't really a hard decision for those that care about a majority of the sports on campus. 

• Upvote 2

Illinois and Florida State don't have the same issue we have so they don't really apply to this conversation.   Florida State got tribal approval and I am not sure what Illinois did to avoid problems.  

You can pretend that we had a way out but we didn't and that happened before Kelley came into office.  The only program that wouldn't have been totally screwed was the hockey team.  That may be the only program some care about but it isn't the only one on campus.

I was strong nickname supporter until the cost got too high.  It wasn't really a hard decision for those that care about a majority of the sports on campus. 

before accusing me of pretending things please look at the post to which I was REPLYING:

Oh and one other thing that you and others seem to fail to realize.  Even if UND would have gotten full support from both tribes and Kelley would have spear headed the effort, the FACT is that the Big Sky, and other conferences we were looking at joining (Summit/MVFC), had an issue with our native American name.  Having the Fighting Sioux name after the NCAA came out against them in 2005 became a problem for many Universities.  For a school that just reclassified to D1 and in search of conference affiliation, it became a big problem

You can pretend that we had a way out but we didn't and that happened before Kelley came into office. 

That is not true.  The very embodiment of the settlement was that we DID have a way out.  The way out being actualized or not is not equivalent to not having a way out. Grossly faulty logic...

• Upvote 1

Gotta admit, well said.

That is not true.  The very embodiment of the settlement was that we DID have a way out.  The way out being actualized or not is not equivalent to not having a way out. Grossly faulty logic...

That way out? Get Standing Rock Tribal Council (see: Jesse Taken Alive and his ilk) to change POV.

Odds? Buy a PowerBall ticket; you'll have better odds.

At one time we did have a way out but most people would say all options were exhausted before Kelley took office. 

At one time we did have a way out but most people would say all options were exhausted before Kelley took office.

Only the unedjucated would say that. The same people that insisted the majority of Sioux people were offended by the name for nearly a decade until the Fargo forum got a clue and asked them.

The fact is that Standing Rock was set to allow a vote on the name until Murphy, their new tribal chair- who by the way was elected on a platform of supporting the name- did a 180 and blocked the vote that would have passed.

Oh and this was the reality of the situation with no input or interaction by Kelley et all... It is more than reasonable to assert had Kelley been vocal and supportive of the name outwardly that our chances would have been better...

Further, the fact that he didn't was perplexing which along with things like the summet situation created quite a curious happening to say the least.

Illinois and Florida State don't have the same issue we have so they don't really apply to this conversation. Florida State got tribal approval and I am not sure what Illinois did to avoid problems.

You can pretend that we had a way out but we didn't and that happened before Kelley came into office. The only program that wouldn't have been totally screwed was the hockey team. That may be the only program some care about but it isn't the only one on campus.

I was strong nickname supporter until the cost got too high. It wasn't really a hard decision for those that care about a majority of the sports on campus.

I think Illinois just removed all references to Indians and now use Illini as a reference to a resident of Illinois.
  • Upvote 1

It is more than reasonable to assert had Kelley been vocal and supportive of the name outwardly that our chances would have been better...

Yes it is.

It would've been like buying a second PowerBall ticket.

The chances would've gone from 1:175,000,000 to 1:87,500,000. 

I think Illinois just removed all references to Indians and now use Illini as a reference to a resident of Illinois.

They dropped the word "Fighting" from the name.  Also, I've heard that the tribe is extinct, or at least no longer an organized/recognized group, thus no one had to approve of the name, but that could be bad info flowing in...