SiouxSports.com Forum

Students kicked out

Siouxfull

They dropped the word "Fighting" from the name.  Also, I've heard that the tribe is extinct, or at least no longer an organized/recognized group, thus no one had to approve of the name, but that could be bad info flowing in...

They still use Fighting Illini.  They made a claim that the term Fighting Ilini referred to Illinois residents that fought in World War I, and had some evidence that the term was used in that context.  The tribe has not existed for a while.  They had to drop their NA mascot and all references to Native Americans.  Getting rid of all NA references was enough to get off the NCAA list.

In the mind of President Kelley, the nickname issue is/was nothing more than a nuisance. Kelley does not want to be preoccupied with university athletic issues; he has very little interest in university athletics and his mindset has impeded the potential progress of UND athletics.

Huh, that flies in the face of everything that the current UND Football staff has said about President Kelley and his wife.  They raved about both of them when discussing recruiting and how they participate in the weekend official visits.  Marcia does a great job selling the university to recruits, as does President Kelley during this speeches.  Almost seemed like they go out of there way to help promote the university to the football recruits, which they do not have to do.  

• Upvote 1

Huh, that flies in the face of everything that the current UND Football staff has said about President Kelley and his wife.  They raved about both of them when discussing recruiting and how they participate in the weekend official visits.  Marcia does a great job selling the university to recruits, as does President Kelley during this speeches.  Almost seemed like they go out of there way to help promote the university to the football recruits, which they do not have to do.  

Wo, Wo, whoa. I too have been told this by a member of the football staff.   But careful, you don't want to let facts and people who deal regularly with President, get in the way. 

• Upvote 1

I think Illinois just removed all references to Indians and now use Illini as a reference to a resident of Illinois.

They dropped the word "Fighting" from the name.  Also, I've heard that the tribe is extinct, or at least no longer an organized/recognized group, thus no one had to approve of the name, but that could be bad info flowing in...

They still use Fighting Illini.  They made a claim that the term Fighting Ilini referred to Illinois residents that fought in World War I, and had some evidence that the term was used in that context.  The tribe has not existed for a while.  They had to drop their NA mascot and all references to Native Americans.  Getting rid of all NA references was enough to get off the NCAA list.

THIS was the crux of the issue at Illinois...and they're still the Fighting Illini.

THIS was the crux of the issue at Illinois...and they're still the Fighting Illini.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq4KpDhFZVM

That's what pisses me off! Schools like this with NA nicknames put fuel on the fire for anti-nickname PC zealots. I remember when I was younger having NA's from the state coming out before a handful of games and performed. To me it was done in a respectful manner and I personally felt a sense of pride being from a university that honored the local Native American tribes. This ended however. I don't know if there was a fall out with the university and the local tribes, or if it was the start of the undermining of the nickname by those folks such as Jeannotte and company. Regardless, I do not recall the time when UND ever acted like the Illini, FSU, etc.

The difference with Illinois, though, is that permission for the nickname and dance were given by the local tribe.  The person doing the dance might not have been Native American, but they were taught how to properly do the dance by the local tribe.  It wasn't just somebody out there jumping around, it was done correctly.

Why was Springfest cancelled?

Kelley doesn't approve of alcohol...... or general merriment.

He claims that UND's rep as a party school will ruin its reputation much like the University of Colorado has for being a party school

Nevermind the fact that Springfest is a city event and not a UND function that Kelley has control over...

Kelley lobbied the city council to not issue the liquor permits.

And the city has been more and more reluctant to issue the permits each year.  That event has been on borrowed time for close to a decade.  It almost got cancelled after the couches got burned.

And the city has been more and more reluctant to issue the permits each year.  That event has been on borrowed time for close to a decade.  It almost got cancelled after the couches got burned.

Unfortunately for the do-gooders, house parties don't need a liquor permit.  I'm somewhat excited to see what happens when there isn't an organized effort in the park to contain some of the madness.  I almost expect to see new city ordinances banning the consumption of alcohol in front yards by individuals under 30 soon.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately for the do-gooders, house parties don't need a liquor permit.  I'm somewhat excited to see what happens when there isn't an organized effort in the park to contain some of the madness.  I almost expect to see new city ordinances banning the consumption of alcohol in front yards by individuals under 30 soon.

As sad as it is, considering the city's loud party ordinance can be enforced at any time of the day anytime there are 2 or more people gathered together, I think there will be some sort of record set.

A lot of ways for the police to break up private parties.  They will be very busy that weekend.  Not having a public event will probably stop some of the out-of-towners from coming to party.  And I think the city already has some public consumption laws in place that will be enforced that weekend.

As sad as it is, considering the city's loud party ordinance can be enforced at any time of the day anytime there are 2 or more people gathered together, I think there will be some sort of record set.

Huh, I didn't realize that applied any time of day.  I guess the city council is already on top of it.  I believe you will be proven correct regarding the record-breaking afternoon.  Dealing with court dates, lawyers, and several hundred dollar fines should help the students to achieve very fine results on their finals that week.