SiouxSports.com Forum

Students kicked out

Siouxfull

Huh, I didn't realize that applied any time of day.  I guess the city council is already on top of it.  I believe you will be proven correct regarding the record-breaking afternoon.  Dealing with court dates, lawyers, and several hundred dollar fines should help the students to achieve very fine results on their finals that week.

I know it's probably impossible for most students due the cost/time investment, but would love to see everyone who gets a loud party citation that weekend plead not guilty and request jury trials.  It would clog up the municipal court system in Grand Forks enough that it just might force the city council to rethink this idiocy.

• Upvote 1

Only the unedjucated would say that. The same people that insisted the majority of Sioux people were offended by the name for nearly a decade until the Fargo forum got a clue and asked them.

The fact is that Standing Rock was set to allow a vote on the name until Murphy, their new tribal chair- who by the way was elected on a platform of supporting the name- did a 180 and blocked the vote that would have passed.

Oh and this was the reality of the situation with no input or interaction by Kelley et all... It is more than reasonable to assert had Kelley been vocal and supportive of the name outwardly that our chances would have been better...

Further, the fact that he didn't was perplexing which along with things like the summet situation created quite a curious happening to say the least.

I am one of the people that always believed the Sioux people supported the nickname but also realized our options eventually ran out.  

Standing Rock didn't vote and our deadline expired so the NCAA imposed sanctions, potential conferences were hesitant and larger schools wouldn't play us.  Only the uneducated and foolish still can't face the reality of the situation.  Continuing the fight was killing our sports other than hockey.   You don't need to believe me - just ask the UND coaches of sports other than hockey.  I have and they said the same as I stated above.

I was pretty militant about keeping the nickname but eventually realized it was over.

• Upvote 1

Continuing the fight was killing our sports other than hockey. You don't need to believe me - just ask the UND coaches of sports other than hockey.

If only UND had changed the nickname years ago...Chris Mussman would have had the football team in Frisco for sure!

The difference with Illinois, though, is that permission for the nickname and dance were given by the local tribe.  The person doing the dance might not have been Native American, but they were taught how to properly do the dance by the local tribe.  It wasn't just somebody out there jumping around, it was done correctly.

The Peoria Tribe of Oklahoma are the only ones left.  I don't recall their input being solicited by the U of I.  

Unfortunately for the do-gooders, house parties don't need a liquor permit.  I'm somewhat excited to see what happens when there isn't an organized effort in the park to contain some of the madness.  I almost expect to see new city ordinances banning the consumption of alcohol in front yards by individuals under 30 soon.

I'm told that the student body at the University has got use of the old warehouse in Buxton...for the purposes of putting on a Spring dance.  Please...join me in praying to the Lord...to guide them in their endeavors.   

I'm told that the student body at the University has got use of the old warehouse in Buxton...for the purposes of putting on a Spring dance.  Please...join me in praying to the Lord...to guide them in their endeavors.   

Sounds like a "fund raiser" for the Traill County Sheriff's Department. 

Because this is their time to dance...
  • Upvote 1

I'm told that the student body at the University has got use of the old warehouse in Buxton...for the purposes of putting on a Spring dance. Please...join me in praying to the Lord...to guide them in their endeavors.

What innovators. Real pioneers. Taking the word liability to the next level. I like it.

Thank you, Reverend Shaw(n-O) Moore*

*You got me. It took me a bit to realize the reference. Well played. 

Because this is their time to dance...

:lol:  Awesome.