SiouxSports.com Forum

The Truth

Fetch

Who were the weak sheep?

And could you provide examples of a situation that will allow the school to use the fighting sioux/logo again?

The ones that went Baaaaaaaahh!!!...

..How many example situations would you like me to provide from the infinite group of scenarios?

Go SIOUX!!

What is being lost here is the big picture - the small group that was against Native American names is becoming a large group and they have the media's ear - who is always looking for a victim. More questions are being raised about Florida State but they are big enough to hold them off - UND was not. Changes across the board are coming. 

I think the way UND used the nickname was very respectable (in the last 20 years but don't dig back further because it gets ugly). I also think that if one school has to change then EVERY school should have to change. 

But the reality is if UND still had Fighting Sioux as its official nickname the distractions from liberal do-gooders would be incredible and would hurt the entire university. It's sad but true.

I do think that those who think once a new nickname is chosen the FIghting Sioux will disappear are mistaken - while the logo isn't being printed on any new merchandise there is plenty of logo stuff out there to last another generation. And there is nothing wrong with preserving a proud history. 

What is being lost here is the big picture - the small group that was against Native American names is becoming a large group and they have the media's ear - who is always looking for a victim. More questions are being raised about Florida State but they are big enough to hold them off - UND was not. Changes across the board are coming. 

I think the way UND used the nickname was very respectable (in the last 20 years but don't dig back further because it gets ugly). I also think that if one school has to change then EVERY school should have to change. 

But the reality is if UND still had Fighting Sioux as its official nickname the distractions from liberal do-gooders would be incredible and would hurt the entire university. It's sad but true.

I do think that those who think once a new nickname is chosen the FIghting Sioux will disappear are mistaken - while the logo isn't being printed on any new merchandise there is plenty of logo stuff out there to last another generation. And there is nothing wrong with preserving a proud history. 

I think if the NCAA had the balls to stand up to everyone and follow the original policy to ban all NA nicknames picking a new name would be a lot easier to swallow, instead of this school can have it and this school can't type policy. If UND knew all they had to do is bribe the Sioux tribes like FSU did to their tribe then UND will be the Fighting Sioux today. 

Truth.  Ask Dan Snyder how his fight is going and that is a privately owned entity.

Tell that to our current administration.

I still see all historical references in the athletic buildings I've been in, which what was permitted by the settlement agreement.

Yup. This group started small (some HSs, then "easy mark" colleges*) and is working up to the crown jewel they seek: the Washington NFL franchise. 

They may get Washington (NFL) and then come back for Florida State. Why? Media in DC has a similar political viewpoint as this group. 

*By "easy mark" I mean the schools without monstrously deep pockets and without big political influence. 

What do you mean by this?

I guess I wasn't feeling the love for the Sioux nickname when our administration spoke of 'scrubbing' the name and image from the campus. It's semantics but to me that's not exactly retiring the name with dignity or honoring a proud past...still waiting for that to happen. (but I'm not holding my breath)

I love how everyone speaks like it's an absolute positive no chance for any other outcome, a hundred percent guarantee, 0% chance of changing, the truth of all truth, rule of the universe fact that there is no way the University of North Dakota athletics will ever ever ever ever never never never never again be called the Fighting Sioux.

which way would you all take the bet on that in the next 50 years we get our name back?

Dude, you been living under a rock the lst 10 years?  YOu need to meet a good friend of mine.  His name is Reality!!  The name ain't coming back.  Time to move on.  The only way that there is even a chance for UND to be known as the Fighting Sioux ever again is if the NCAA changes its policy on native american names for college nicknames.  There is deffiitely a ZERO percent chance that will happen.  So that is why us here in the real worl realize that the name is not coming back.

• Upvote 1

I guess I wasn't feeling the love for the Sioux nickname when our administration spoke of 'scrubbing' the name and image from the campus. It's semantics but to me that's not exactly retiring the name with dignity or honoring a proud past...still waiting for that to happen. (but I'm not holding my breath)

In fairness, I think that UND and REA stood shoulder to shoulder when the NCAA relented on the existing imagery at the arena.  The original settlement was much more draconian.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I'm impressed with how little the Ralph had to change - it will be weird to see it someday with what they do if there is a new name - Another reason to stay North Dakota that works with what Ralph wanted the Arena to be

I think if the NCAA had the balls to stand up to everyone and follow the original policy to ban all NA nicknames picking a new name would be a lot easier to swallow, instead of this school can have it and this school can't type policy. If UND knew all they had to do is bribe the Sioux tribes like FSU did to their tribe then UND will be the Fighting Sioux today. 

I think UND knew what they had to do but chose not to.

• Upvote 1

Dude, you been living under a rock the lst 10 years?  YOu need to meet a good friend of mine.  His name is Reality!!  The name ain't coming back.  Time to move on.  The only way that there is even a chance for UND to be known as the Fighting Sioux ever again is if the NCAA changes its policy on native american names for college nicknames.  There is deffiitely a ZERO percent chance that will happen.  So that is why us here in the real worl realize that the name is not coming back.

Tell you what: call up your good friend reality and get him to join you in going to visit any professor of statistics at the University of North Dakota home of the fighting Sioux and ask them if making the statement, "There is 'diffiitely' ZERO percent chance that [the Sioux change the name back] will happen" would qualify you as one who doesn't live under a rock.

• Upvote 1

Tell you what: call up your good friend reality and get him to join you in going to visit any professor of statistics at the University of North Dakota home of the fighting Sioux and ask them if making the statement, "There is 'diffiitely' ZERO percent chance that [the Sioux change the name back] will happen" would qualify you as one who doesn't live under a rock.

Yep....

post-36309-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-

• Upvote 4

can_you_repeat_the_part_of_the_stuff.jpg

• Upvote 3

Ok you are right.  Statistically there is never a zero percent chance of anything to happen.  Ok, let me fix my prediction......there is a .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent chance that UND will be the Fighting Sioux again.  There, that better?  :)

• Upvote 2

Like I said ... 

Which happens first :

UND restores the old name 

- or - 

the Washington NFL franchise changes its name

I'm thinking which ever happens first, the other won't.

And I think Dan Snyder is next to lose to Suzan Harjo, her media lackeys, et al.