SiouxSports.com Forum

The Truth

Fetch

I think UND knew what they had to do but chose not to.

You hit the nail right on the head!  Weak ass leadership at the University and the SBHE led us to the end result we are living with today...A pissed off citizenry that doesn't want to change and is suspicious of a University President who is planning to help us adjust to the 'new reality'.  Well, I'm one of the people who doesn't accept the proposed paradigm shift...

• Upvote 2

You hit the nail right on the head!  Weak ass leadership at the University and the SBHE led us to the end result we are living with today...A pissed off citizenry that doesn't want to change and is suspicious of a University President who is planning to help us adjust to the 'new reality'.  Well, I'm one of the people who doesn't accept the proposed paradigm shift...

I see a very few 'pissed off citizenry' who can't let go of the nickname.  The rest of us are just fine with UND and aren't wasting our time living in the past.  

• Upvote 2

I see a very few 'pissed off citizenry' who can't let go of the nickname.  The rest of us are just fine with UND and aren't wasting our time living in the past.  

Agree.  I've seen a lot more protests/marches/etc about what still remains than what isn't here any more. 

The "pissed off citizenry" I see voted by a significant margin to end this gong show (and to quit bleeding money into it) by voting to allow UND to remove the name. 

What I see now are more and more people asking, "Why isn't this done yet?"

Purely anecdotal, but I see the younger folks saying, "Just pick something and move on" and the ... ahem ... "more mature" crowd wallowing in history. 

Disclaimer: My ID puts me on the line between younger and "more mature". Heck, I've never been accused of being too mature. :D

Like I said ... 

I'm thinking which ever happens first, the other won't.

And I think Dan Snyder is next to lose to Suzan Harjo, her media lackeys, et al. 

Yawn.  The same tactic -- getting the U.S. Patent/Trademark Office to throw out the trademark protections -  employed by them and reversed by the Court.   All the more reason to continue fighting The Suzan Harjo's of the world and the accompanying sycophantic "media lackeys".

Ok you are right. Statistically there is never a zero percent chance of anything to happen. Ok, let me fix my prediction......there is a .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent chance that UND will be the Fighting Sioux again. There, that better? :)

I still thinking seeking the council of a of a statistition might do you some good. :-)

Count me in the "mature" demography. We will never be the FS again and to those who see any utility in trying to go back I can only suggest that sometimes there is relief in no longer banging one's head against the wall. Having said that, there is also no reason we have to take on a new identity. "Green and white" is fine if we can't simply be North Dakota. That is my "vote", anyway.

I still thinking seeking the council of a of a statistition might do you some good. :-)

Curious on your personal opinion on the following:

1)What changes would be needed under the current agreement you would find it acceptable to reinstate the nickname

2)What changes would be needed for UND to actually consider reinstating the nickname

To bad your not a billionaire and I won't be alive in 50 years or I would give you a trillion times better odds in your favor than the ones you posted and bet you a penny that they get their name back within 50 years.

Then If we are successful and reason finally prevails and we again are free to call ourselves what our name is I, being The richest man in the world, will throw a big party where I will make every Sioux fan who never gave up a millionaire. :-)

To bad your not a billionaire and I won't be alive in 50 years or I would give you a trillion times better odds in your favor than the ones you posted and bet you a penny that they get their name back within 50 years.

Then If we are successful and reason finally prevails and we again are free to call ourselves what our name is I, being The richest man in the world, will throw a big party where I will make every Sioux fan who never gave up a millionaire. :-)

Did you miss the part where UND does not currently have a name despite what you want to think?

Maybe seeking the council of a of a grammar expert  might do you some good :p

If schools like Stanford, St. Johns, Marquette, etc have not made an attempt to change back even before it wasn't an NCAA policy, why would you ever think that UND would now that there is a policy against natice american nicknames. 

Wait.. were you the one I saw the other day wearing a maroon "Redskins Forever" shirt?!! :)

Ok you are right.  Statistically there is never a zero percent chance of anything to happen.  Ok, let me fix my prediction......there is a .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent chance that UND will be the Fighting Sioux again.  There, that better?  :)

poindexter.jpg

So what you're saying essentially is, is that along with infinite space which extends beyond perpetual bigness there's also infinite smallness?

• Upvote 1

Wait.. were you the one I saw the other day wearing a maroon "Redskins Forever" shirt?!! :)

I wish I had one of those shirts. I still have a GFC Redskin shirt and jacket, but I know there is no way, zip, zero chance they dump the Knights name and return to Redskins, just like there is no chance UND goes back to the Fighting Sioux name, the SBoHE won't let that happen as much as the NCAA, and the Standing Rock Tribal Council.

I wish I had one of those shirts. I still have a GFC Redskin shirt and jacket, but I know there is no way, zip, zero chance they dump the Knights name and return to Redskins, just like there is no chance UND goes back to the Fighting Sioux name, the SBoHE won't let that happen as much as the NCAA, and the Standing Rock Tribal Council.

Shame on you, Darell!  We're North Dakota, we don't cow-tow to politically correct lunatics!  Keep fighting the good fight and we'll be the Fighting Sioux again!!!!

:crazy:  :silly:

• Upvote 1

poindexter.jpg

So what you're saying essentially is, is that along with infinite space which extends beyond perpetual bigness there's also infinite smallness?

Yes that it correct.

And in a universe, perhaps deep within an atom which is a part of the granite which makes up the Sioux logo in the lobby of the Ralph, there is a planet in a solar system much like our own(just much smaller:-)) where there is a university where fine skating beings not unlike ourselves play a game pretty much the same as the one we call hockey and after loosing their name which honored the native beings of the land where they resided to the whims of foolish zealots for a period of a few dozen revolutions around their sun chose to again be called what they should have been allowed to all along.

Like everything else it's happened an infinite number of times. Which is a bit far from never. Hehe :-)

Maybe seeking the council of a of a grammar expert  might do you some good :p

I wish people who are or could be taken as graduates or students of the Univ. of N. Dakota would pay more attention to grammar. A good starting point would be distinguishing between and properly using there/their/they're and your/you're. But then again, I admit t being a grammar Nazi.

• Upvote 1

Ok you are right.  Statistically there is never a zero percent chance of anything to happen.  Ok, let me fix my prediction......there is a .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent chance that UND will be the Fighting Sioux again.  There, that better?  :)

So, what you're saying is....there is still a chance?  Right?  :p

The "pissed off citizenry" I see voted by a significant margin to end this gong show :D

People voted for it because they had a gun to their head. And yes the gun is still sitting on the table but that doesn't mean people don't want to keep the name if there would be a way to accomplish that. And it certainly doesn't speak as to what any public sentiment is with regard to just being North Dakota vs getting a new nickname.

I also do not agree with you that the younger crowd has less passion for the name. On the contrary just look at the players words to hear their passion for our name.

...I'm suprised Fiason hasn't gone gestapo on them.

• Upvote 3

... that they get their name back ...

They did ... except the "they" in question is Standing Rock, with the help of coercive effects of the NCAA as leverage. 

UND was never the "Fighting Sioux". Tatanka Yotanka was. Red Tomahawk was. Woodrow W. "Woody" Keeble was. 

UND was using the name by permission of some tribal elders. 

That permission was later revoked by a tribal council, again as I said, with the help of coercive effects of the NCAA as leverage. 

We can argue all day about whether or not they can take back words in the public domain; but, respect means following wishes, even those wishes we don't agree with. 

The "Fighting Sioux" at Standing Rock, and let's face it, at Spirit Lake also because they didn't rush in to save UND, say don't use that name any more.

I don't have to like it, but, if I claim to respect them I have to follow their wishes and move on.