SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX vs CC Friday game thread

Emerald joker

CC came into this game very well prepared. They obviously knew UND tendencies and anticipated quite well. In the first period and a half they played excellent defense. Anybody looking for a rebound or coming up the slot was covered. They did not give UND a chance to get to very many rebounds. They couldn't sustain it for the whole game but that was a significantly improved CC team from when UND played them in October.

Agreed - sometimes I am surprised at how easily a very talented Sioux team can be knocked off their game.  It was a real good game to get a win though.  Two things that kind of drive me nuts - dump and chase, dump and chase, dump and chase (ok, thats one thing) - the other is that we called time out with about 10 minutes left and seemed to go into penalty kill mode for the rest of the game and it almost cost us.  

Agreed - sometimes I am surprised at how easily a very talented Sioux team can be knocked off their game. It was a real good game to get a win though. Two things that kind of drive me nuts - dump and chase, dump and chase, dump and chase (ok, thats one thing) - the other is that we called time out with about 10 minutes left and seemed to go into penalty kill mode for the rest of the game and it almost cost us.

Dump and chase was the only play CC was giving us. They played with one forechecker the whole game and sat back. Once we started to press the play, win the battles on the end boards and wheel into the zone, we took a bit of control.

• Upvote 1

Just have to keep winning battles on the end boards and win races to the puck. CC is going to clog the middle again, you can bank on it.

Another thing I'd like to see and Hak mentioned it in the post game, is getting to rebounds within 5 or 10 feet of the net. Marble was letting up some juicy, fat rebounds that we never got to.

From the mid of the second to the middle of the third, we won the battles and pressed our game. We do that early, we pot a couple goals.

I think we saw the best of CC tonight but we did enough to win it. We'll see if they can bring it again tomorrow. UND showed for chunks of that game that they are the better team. The senior leaders on this team don't ever let this team slow down. Mark and Parks with monster goals and I think Gaarder was our best skater tonight. He was everywhere.

Stoney is right, the Tigers are playing a trap game. Apparently after being beaten 8-1 by DU, the Tigers decided to play a defense first type game. Or Trap. That means you have no choice but to chip the puck in and chase after it.  

Agreed - sometimes I am surprised at how easily a very talented Sioux team can be knocked off their game.  It was a real good game to get a win though.  Two things that kind of drive me nuts - dump and chase, dump and chase, dump and chase (ok, thats one thing) - the other is that we called time out with about 10 minutes left and seemed to go into penalty kill mode for the rest of the game and it almost cost us.  

Those thoughts are understandable, but I think we sometimes overlook the fact that this team has to succeed because of hard work and players accepting their roles.   All kids playing D! hockey are talented, but this Sioux roster is not so full of elite talent that can just turn it on and beat teams with skill.   The forwards are, by and large, good skaters with experience and work ethic.   

That's part of why I like this team so much. 

It seemed that for a while CC knew where the puck was going before the Sioux player passed it.

This is spot on. UND was able to open things up after the Mac goal as CC came out of the trap in stretches.

You get a shorty...2-1 but instead of taking advantage of it by going for the KO and the fact CC was completely deflated by the shorty UND goes into a 10 minute prevent D shell. Absolutely hate that mentality.

Zane was superb after the goal in first. If posters here continue to want to play LJ and Murphy who both do next to nothing there better be some praise for Panz by those same people. He was really good last night. Gaarder is quietly becoming a 2 way stud. His line w OD playing very well has been UNDs best line the past couple weeks. Fun game to watch. CC played a very good game.

This is spot on. UND was able to open things up after the Mac goal as CC came out of the trap in stretches.

You get a shorty...2-1 but instead of taking advantage of it by going for the KO and the fact CC was completely deflated by the shorty UND goes into a 10 minute prevent D shell. Absolutely hate that mentality.

Zane was superb after the goal in first. If posters here continue to want to play LJ and Murphy who both do next to nothing there better be some praise for Panz by those same people. He was really good last night. Gaarder is quietly becoming a 2 way stud. His line w OD playing very well has been UNDs best line the past couple weeks. Fun game to watch. CC played a very good game.

Completely agree on LJ, Murphy was avg, however I disagree on panz. Other one great outlet pass out of the zone I thought he didn't stand out whatsoever. I know I'm in the minority here but I would like to see poolman go back to the point.

Does anyone think N.Schmaltz has not looked quite right since coming back from the World Juniors? Perhaps I was expecting more from him than I should be but he seems to just be disinterested out there right now. He also could be hurt too.

You mean the same Nick Schmaltz that people thought was a huge upgrade over Rocco after one exhibition game? Don't get me wrong, I like his upside better in the long run, but Rocco would be much more noticeable night in and night out. I think right now Schmaltz is much more one dimensional. True, that one dimension is phenomenal, but in order to continue to take advantage of his incredible passing skills, the opposition has to perceive a threat of him scoring more often. Thoughts of all the chances he missed don't run through my mind like they did with Rocco, but his passing ability does. This isn't meant to be a rip on Schmaltz, just that his impact right now isn't that what Rocco might have brought, and that's o.k. because he is still learning to be that consistent impact player. I just think if he would shoot more often, that would complement the rest of his game, and if we can get him and LJ going, that makes us that much better.

Does anyone think N.Schmaltz has not looked quite right since coming back from the World Juniors? Perhaps I was expecting more from him than I should be but he seems to just be disinterested out there right now. He also could be hurt too.

I thought he had pretty good jump making some nice plays last night and thought he looked a lot better than last weekend. 

You mean the same Nick Schmaltz that people thought was a huge upgrade over Rocco after one exhibition game? Don't get me wrong, I like his upside better in the long run, but Rocco would be much more noticeable night in and night out. I think right now Schmaltz is much more one dimensional. True, that one dimension is phenomenal, but in order to continue to take advantage of his incredible passing skills, the opposition has to perceive a threat of him scoring more often. Thoughts of all the chances he missed don't run through my mind like they did with Rocco, but his passing ability does. This isn't meant to be a rip on Schmaltz, just that his impact right now isn't that what Rocco might have brought, and that's o.k. because he is still learning to be that consistent impact player. I just think if he would shoot more often, that would complement the rest of his game, and if we can get him and LJ going, that makes us that much better.

I'd still probably take Nick over Rocco right now Nick just seems to be in much better position defensively most of the time and I like the way he can play along the boards while also not turning the puck over near as much as Rocco did.

Completely agree on LJ, Murphy was avg, however I disagree on panz. Other one great outlet pass out of the zone I thought he didn't stand out whatsoever. I know I'm in the minority here but I would like to see poolman go back to the point.

I'm not a huge fan of Panz back on D but until we get some guys healthy I think our best option is him on D and Poolman up front. When everyone is back healthy I think it will be interesting to see if Hak keeps Poolman up front because I would expect both Olson and St.Clair to be in the lineup regularly probably comes down to whether you would rather have Johnson or Mattson stay in the lineup. 

Lots of combination possibilities, for sure. But why oh why do continue to use that second power play unit?

I equate it to trying to get that 7-8 year old his/her first goal in rec soccer. Round peg meets square hole.

I don't see the hate on Johnson that others do, or Murphy.  I know Murphy was supposed to be a goal scorer coming in, but the guy is working and keeping plays alive in the offensive zone, wearing the D men down for the opposing teams.  Johnson is kind of the same, always seems to be in the middle of the action on the ice, at least to me.  I'm the opposite on Panz and Mattson.  Mattson does a good job pinching down to keep the puck in the zone, but to me, Panz is almost invisible out there. 

I don't see the hate on Johnson that others do, or Murphy.  I know Murphy was supposed to be a goal scorer coming in, but the guy is working and keeping plays alive in the offensive zone, wearing the D men down for the opposing teams.  Johnson is kind of the same, always seems to be in the middle of the action on the ice, at least to me.  I'm the opposite on Panz and Mattson.  Mattson does a good job pinching down to keep the puck in the zone, but to me, Panz is almost invisible out there. 

Being invisible is generally a good thing when referencing a defensive defenseman.

Matt Greene was generally invisible unless he was commiting a penalty