SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Marquette

SWSiouxMN

UND might be waiting awhile for that signature win. Weber State hasn't beaten a ranked opponent in 14 years.

In fact Weber State just helped set an NCAA Division 1 record. Against ranked Oklahoma the largest run every- 39 consecutive points for Oklahoma. It was 49 to 4 at one point.

I think we may see a new BSC champ as this team doesn't look like the dance team of last March.

Marquette fan forum is Even ripping jones... Anyway, how did shanks look? Replay on now btw

Hate to see something like this written, even it is just from an opposing fan with no axe to grind....   http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=45821.0

9. ND is a bad team with an even worse coach. Inside of 2:30 to play, trailing by 9 and he had his defense just stand and watch Derrick dribble. Pick up your check and go home.

UND was outscored 43-25 in the 2nd Half, after leading by 5 at halftime. 

UND seems to lack in the fundamentals.  Is that bad coaching, bad listening, bad attitudes or is there lack of respect going on?

When I read that comment from an opposing fan's observation, it make me wonder what it is going on.  There is definitely a problem between the players and the coaches.

UND might be waiting awhile for that signature win. Weber State hasn't beaten a ranked opponent in 14 years.

In fact Weber State just helped set an NCAA Division 1 record. Against ranked Oklahoma the largest run ever - 39 consecutive points for Oklahoma. It was 49 to 4 at one point.

Wins don't matter - what's important is that $100,000 check, right?

"Just cash it, baby."

I noticed that the announcing crew of Eric Hollins and Dickey Simpkins, who I thought were really good, were very high on Shanks and very complimentary of UND's team for the most part (outside of the obvious rebounding deficiencies).  Was kind of surprised by some of what they said.  They think that once Shanks gets the rust off, he'll make a big difference in UND's pick and roll game with him setting screens and popping out for a jump shot.  Said he was lighting it up in the shoot around.  Hopefully they are right, the offense gets bogged down more often than it should.

I noticed that the announcing crew of Eric Hollins and Dickey Simpkins, who I thought were really good, were very high on Shanks and very complimentary of UND's team for the most part (outside of the obvious rebounding deficiencies).  Was kind of surprised by some of what they said.  They think that once Shanks gets the rust off, he'll make a big difference in UND's pick and roll game with him setting screens and popping out for a jump shot.  Said he was lighting it up in the shoot around.  Hopefully they are right, the offense gets bogged down more often than it should.

The crew from the Gopher game was "very complimentary" as well.  Its what they do when talking about the little guy.  

Shanks will be fine, he hasn't played in forever.  

The crew from the Gopher game was "very complimentary" as well.  Its what they do when talking about the little guy.  

Shanks will be fine, he hasn't played in forever.  

I get that, but they seemed to actually go into depth a little more than normal and there was actually some substance to it. 

Jones has done a great job in the big sky 8 of 12 . Big Sky teams have done worse in league play .  That folks is  75% would trade Big Sky records with Jones.....Non conference play means little it is about getting a paycheck.  The Big Sky is a one bid low D1 league. Conference Play is WAY more important. Lets see the Football team travel to a SEC and Big ten Schools and see how their non conference record  looks.  Great Job Jones...

The fire Jones crowd probably won't agree with me but if we can play like we did last night for 30 minutes, like we did against SDSU, UNI we will be fine in conference play. I realize those games were losses but those teams are better than what the Big Sky offers. Yes if we lay eggs like against Texas Pan Am and NDSU we'll be in trouble but even last years team laid a few eggs. We also won't be on the road every game like they have had to in non conference play.

For me the goal of this season has always been to make the BSC tourney and then see what happens from there. This year is a building year for the next two when we should have a shot at conference titles if our bigs develop. I think the HS kids jones signed this year along with Crandall coming in are going to be fantastic players for UND. Next years backcourt depth will be really good.

15-16

Hooker

Tyler

TDR

Drick Bernstein

Shanks

Bench

Crandall

Seales

Coleman

Cashman

Sheilds

Collins

McDermott

16-17

Hooker

Crandall

Seales

Drick

Shanks

Bench

Collins

McDermott

Cashman

Sheilds

Fr G

Fr C/PF

Jones has done a great job in the big sky 8 of 12 . Big Sky teams have done worse in league play .  That folks is  75% would trade Big Sky records with Jones.....Non conference play means little it is about getting a paycheck.  The Big Sky is a one bid low D1 league. Conference Play is WAY more important. Lets see the Football team travel to a SEC and Big ten Schools and see how their non conference record  looks.  Great Job Jones...

Could you be a bigger homer for Jones?  Pretty obvious you have ties to him somehow.  Every post is gushing about what a great job he is doing under the circumstances.  

The fire Jones crowd probably won't agree with me but if we can play like we did last night for 30 minutes, like we did against SDSU, UNI we will be fine in conference play. I realize those games were losses but those teams are better than what the Big Sky offers. Yes if we lay eggs like against Texas Pan Am and NDSU we'll be in trouble but even last years team laid a few eggs. We also won't be on the road every game like they have had to in non conference play.

For me the goal of this season has always been to make the BSC tourney and then see what happens from there. This year is a building year for the next two when we should have a shot at conference titles if our bigs develop. I think the HS kids jones signed this year along with Crandall coming in are going to be fantastic players for UND. Next years backcourt depth will be really good.

15-16

Hooker

Tyler

TDR

Drick Bernstein

Shanks

Bench

Crandall

Seales

Coleman

Cashman

Sheilds

Collins

McDermott

16-17

Hooker

Crandall

Seales

Drick

Shanks

Bench

Collins

McDermott

Cashman

Sheilds

Fr G

Fr C/PF

Please explain to me how bringing in NINE transfers is "building the program for the next few years"?  Bringing in high school kids is building for the future.  Remember we heard that line when they brought in Archer, Wilmer, Goodman, etc?  WTF are we doing.

I agree good recruits coming in next year.

But if you don't box out and/or crash the boards you don't rebound well.

If you can't make FT's down the stretch, you are a poor shooter or out of shape.

Both rebounding and free throws can be corrected with good coaching. 

We have talent now develop it.

I am not sure if I am completely in the Fire Jones camp, but I can say that I expect solid fundamentals from my favorite team.  I don't see how a team can do ANYTHING in the national tourney (assuming they win the Big Sky tourney) if they can't rebound or box-out.  These are things you learn in grade school!!!

I agree with hoopster.  We need to lower our standards, we're still a DII school after all.  It's amazing that UND, with a student enrollment of 800 and an annual budget of a nickel, can stay within 20 of anybody.

• Upvote 1

I am not sure if I am completely in the Fire Jones camp, but I can say that I expect solid fundamentals from my favorite team.  I don't see how a team can do ANYTHING in the national tourney (assuming they win the Big Sky tourney) if they can't rebound or box-out.  These are things you learn in grade school!!!

Nodakhoops and hoopster don't expect UND to do anything in a national tourney.  Almost getting in the tourney is the best any team from the state of North Dakota can expect to do.  Winning a game in the tourney would be impossible.

• Upvote 1

Please explain to me how bringing in NINE transfers is "building the program for the next few years"?  Bringing in high school kids is building for the future.  Remember we heard that line when they brought in Archer, Wilmer, Goodman, etc?  WTF are we doing.

I'm struggling with this too. I guess we can focus our attention on the development of Hooker, Cashman, Shanks and Shields, because for the most part the rest of the current team is gone after this year or next year.