SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Marquette

SWSiouxMN

Here is the article in today's Grand Forks Herald: http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-basketball/3640332-mens-basketball-marquette-comes-back-beat-und

Direct quote from Brian Jones:

“I am very proud of our effort,” UND coach Brian Jones said. “That is what we want to hang our hats on; competing and playing with energy for 40 minutes. Of all the top-tier programs we have played, I felt like tonight we put together a full 40-minute game -- not only competing, but following the game plan. I thought our guys did a tremendous job with that.”

All that is missing from that statement is "toe to toe", then you couldn't tell the difference between Jones and Muss. :silly:

• Upvote 2

Until Jones is replaced, UND men's basketball has now officially become unwatchable

No one will ever watch another UND basketball game ever again.  The tv and radio contract has been cancelled. The gym will be closed to the public for all remaining games.  UND must win the national championship before anyone will ever watch another game

Rebounding is a lot about effort. Effort was pretty poor in that regard last night.

Like I said, for the most part I thought they played pretty well last night. It showed that there is talent there. Now can Jones get the most out of that talent on a consistent basis? So far the answer is no. I am confident they will improve over the next two months. And after all that is all that matters. These first 11 games all mean nothing right? If it doesn't matter how we perform against Minnesota and NDSU, it certainly doesn't matter how we perform against Marquette or UNI........

Here is the article in today's Grand Forks Herald: http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-basketball/3640332-mens-basketball-marquette-comes-back-beat-und

Direct quote from Brian Jones:

All that is missing from that statement is "toe to toe", then you couldn't tell the difference between Jones and Muss. :silly:

Wow. Any coach with a brain would be outraged by the lack of effort on the boards, and would have his video guy making a lowlight tape of all the non box outs and free throws missed to show the team today, followed by a simple math lesson of the points given up to Marquette and not scored by us for said reasons.

I don't care how many "great recruits or transfers" he brings in, if they can't play fundamental basketball we will never be competitive with top teams.

• Upvote 2

Rebounding is a lot about effort. Effort was pretty poor in that regard last night.

Like I said, for the most part I thought they played pretty well last night. It showed that there is talent there. Now can Jones get the most out of that talent on a consistent basis? So far the answer is no. I am confident they will improve over the next two months. And after all that is all that matters. These first 11 games all mean nothing right? If it doesn't matter how we perform against Minnesota and NDSU, it certainly doesn't matter how we perform against Marquette or UNI........

46-28 they out rebounded us.  That is pathetic!

Please explain to me how bringing in NINE transfers is "building the program for the next few years"?  Bringing in high school kids is building for the future.  Remember we heard that line when they brought in Archer, Wilmer, Goodman, etc?  WTF are we doing.

I'm struggling with this too. I guess we can focus our attention on the development of Hooker, Cashman, Shanks and Shields, because for the most part the rest of the current team is gone after this year or next year.

I would agree this years team has to many transfers, but next year most of them will have a year of playing together under their belts and we add a fantastic incoming class. Fact of the matter is there are not to many HS kids I would take over Nash, TDR, and Tyler. Shanks is basically a HS kid as he came here two months into his freshman year. Calcterra and Salmonson were guys signed when we needed big guys that could play right away to go along with the guys that just graduated and Hobough and Stefan are walk ons. Each scenario is different, but I would agree this years team has to many...it is what it is for now.

Looking ahead I think based on the last two years of recruiting we have seen a big shift in focus going back to HS kids which is good to see. I base my statement on the talent of that class from watching those kids on film. My basketball eye tells me that Seales and Crandall have the most basketball talent and potential I have seen from a UND signee ever. Hooker was close behind them out of HS, but these two guards have talent and potential that is off the charts for a BSC level athlete. I know nothing of what they are like between the ears, but BBall talent is outstanding. I think Collins is physically ready to play now, and I think Bubba would like this kid for a year on the football field when his BBall career is over. Could be one of our better defenders, and reminds me a lot of Kory Brown from NDSU. McDermott looks like a better version of Schuler IMO, with great potential as well. Comparing this class to Archer, Wilmer, Goodman, is no even close and that is no knock on those guys who were great program guys. They just aren't on the same talent level as the guys coming up. 

I really really like the HS kids Jones has signed the last few years (Hooker, Shanks, Crandall, Sheilds, Cashman, Seales, Mcdermott, Collins) and I think they along with what is returning next year will form a very good team.  The year following I look at that core along with Drick Bernstein as a very seasoned and good core. We also don't know about signings next year as it pertains to that team. Talking 2 years out is tough, but by that time these guys will have played a lot of minutes. 

Point is I never expected a BSC championship this year, but I think we are setup for the following years to be in the conversation for one.  I will save everyone the trouble I am not a Jones lover or hater. There are things he does well and things he doesn't I am just stating what I think. 

Wow. Any coach with a brain would be outraged by the lack of effort on the boards, and would have his video guy making a lowlight tape of all the non box outs and free throws missed to show the team today, followed by a simple math lesson of the points given up to Marquette and not scored by us for said reasons.

I don't care how many "great recruits or transfers" he brings in, if they can't play fundamental basketball we will never be competitive with top teams.

This is it in a nutshell - It isn't the won-lost as much as the frustrating play.  Many gave him a pass on team discipline the last couple of years under the theory that in order to bring in some talent he had to give in to their selfish play and maybe get some kids that weren't so coachable.   However, to see us start a new cycle of not boxing out drives me nuts.  To any fan of good fundamental basketball the Sioux are almost unwatchable.  

• Upvote 2

I really really like the HS kids Jones has signed the last few years (Hooker, Shanks, Crandall, Sheilds, Cashman, Seales, Mcdermott, Collins) and I think they along with what is returning next year will form a very good team.  The year following I look at that core along with Drick Bernstein as a very seasoned and good core. We also don't know about signings next year as it pertains to that team. Talking 2 years out is tough, but by that time these guys will have played a lot of minutes. 

Forgot about Bernstine.  Another transfer.  

I would agree this years team has to many transfers, but next year most of them will have a year of playing together under their belts and we add a fantastic incoming class. Fact of the matter is there are not to many HS kids I would take over Nash, TDR, and Tyler. Shanks is basically a HS kid as he came here two months into his freshman year. Calcterra and Salmonson were guys signed when we needed big guys that could play right away to go along with the guys that just graduated and Hobough and Stefan are walk ons. Each scenario is different, but I would agree this years team has to many...it is what it is for now.

Looking ahead I think based on the last two years of recruiting we have seen a big shift in focus going back to HS kids which is good to see. I base my statement on the talent of that class from watching those kids on film. My basketball eye tells me that Seales and Crandall have the most basketball talent and potential I have seen from a UND signee ever. Hooker was close behind them out of HS, but these two guards have talent and potential that is off the charts for a BSC level athlete. I know nothing of what they are like between the ears, but BBall talent is outstanding. I think Collins is physically ready to play now, and I think Bubba would like this kid for a year on the football field when his BBall career is over. Could be one of our better defenders, and reminds me a lot of Kory Brown from NDSU. McDermott looks like a better version of Schuler IMO, with great potential as well. Comparing this class to Archer, Wilmer, Goodman, is no even close and that is no knock on those guys who were great program guys. They just aren't on the same talent level as the guys coming up. 

Point is I never expected a BSC championship this year, but I think we are setup for the following years to be in the conversation for one.  I will save everyone the trouble I am not a Jones lover or hater. There are things he does well and things he doesn't I am just stating what I think. 

I can agree with most all of this.  I really wish the players would develop more once they get to UND though.  The talent/athletic ability is great, but without fundamentals it's all for naught.

I can agree with most all of this.  I really wish the players would develop more once they get to UND though.  The talent/athletic ability is great, but without fundamentals it's all for naught.

How can you even get into a college program without the elementary skill of boxing out. 

do not settle!! for anything less than NCAA D1 title.  Why settle for Big Sky titles or getting into the NCAA.  Nothing less than NCAA title good enough for men in green.

We have received none of the above so we cannot "settle" for it.  What he have gotten is a below .500 record over NINE years of coaching.  Quality.  

• Upvote 2

Forgot about Bernstine.  Another transfer.  

One in a class with 3 HS kids is not a big deal imo, plus he is needed to play PF next year. He also will only be a Soph and will have 3 years to play with that core group I mentioned. I have no problem with this signing. He'll be a good player for UND. 

I can agree with this, but I do think UND does an ok job at players developing. Aaron Anderson came to UND as a kid with only 1 D1 offer and left an All Conference player. Troy Huff can to UND as a kid with very little D1 interest and left an All American and a pro. 

As for fundamentals I would agree, but fundamentals in basketball in general seem to be lacking in this day an age. Kids rely on their athletic ability to much in high school and then those habits tend to spill over to college. I would agree we need to improve with certain fundamentals though. (rebounding & boxing out) I also think bringing in a 6'2 and 6'5 guards, a legit tough 6'6 SF, and a strong athletic 6'8 PF could help rebounding next year. 

We have received none of the above so we cannot "settle" for it. What he have gotten is a below .500 record over NINE years of coaching. Quality.

Wrong thread, but new nickname idea: the Settlers! It would pay homage to the pioneers settling this area, and would also accurately describe the expectations for the men's basketball team.

We have received none of the above so we cannot "settle" for it.  What he have gotten is a below .500 record over NINE years of coaching.  Quality.  

why aim low like winning most of you non conference road games vs mid to high major D1 teams.  Being in the top 25% of your conference since joining it is WAY TOO LOW. Are we not UND the mecca for basketball recruits with 5 STAR players begging to grace Grand Forks and  UND  basketball greatness!!! UND  must come in first place every year and beat the likes of Duke, Kansas, North Carolina and Kentucky!  forget about beating losers like MN and Marquette on the road.... Until UND rests upon their deserved spot (national championships only) less than that the coach must be fired. 

Wrong thread, but new nickname idea: the Settlers! It would pay homage to the pioneers settling this area, and would also accurately describe the expectations for the men's basketball team.

Described the expectations of some for the football team 14 months ago too.

• Upvote 1

why aim low like winning most of you non conference road games vs mid to high major D1 teams.  Being in the top 25% of your conference since joining it is WAY TOO LOW. Are we not UND the mecca for basketball recruits with 5 STAR players begging to grace Grand Forks and  UND  basketball greatness!!! UND  must come in first place every year and beat the likes of Duke, Kansas, North Carolina and Kentucky!  forget about beating losers like MN and Marquette on the road.... Until UND rests upon their deserved spot (national championships only) less than that the coach must be fired. 

You seem to have a low opinion of North Dakota and UND, perhaps you should leave.  I struggle to imagine how the basketball meccas of Fargo, Greeley, Brookings, and Missoula have had such success in the past decade.

You need help.  Why do you keep bringing up Duke and North Carolina and Kentucky?  They are not our competition.  The teams we need to be concerned with are SDSU, USD, Montana, NDSU, Weber State, Omaha.  Those are the teams UND recruits against and actually play at the same level as.  

Right now - UND is worst one on that entire list, especially over the last nine years.  Omaha is still in their transition and hands UND their lunch every time they play.

why aim low like winning most of you non conference road games vs mid to high major D1 teams. Being in the top 25% of your conference since joining it is WAY TOO LOW. Are we not UND the mecca for basketball recruits with 5 STAR players begging to grace Grand Forks and UND basketball greatness!!! UND must come in first place every year and beat the likes of Duke, Kansas, North Carolina and Kentucky! forget about beating losers like MN and Marquette on the road.... Until UND rests upon their deserved spot (national championships only) less than that the coach must be fired.

Before UND thinks about beating Duke or North Carolina lets beat the likes of Cal Poly, and TX-PA first. You know the bottom of DI basketball which is where Jones is putting UND.