SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Marquette

SWSiouxMN

You need help.  Why do you keep bringing up Duke and North Carolina and Kentucky?  They are not our competition.  The teams we need to be concerned with are SDSU, USD, Montana, NDSU, Weber State, Omaha.  Those are the teams UND recruits against and actually play at the same level as.  

Right now - UND is worst one on that entire list, especially over the last nine years.  Omaha is still in their transition and hands UND their lunch every time they play.

You aim too low....We should define our competition.. not the Big Sky. We need to beat the big boys on the road in the non conference  season...right on.!  Heck if Gonzaga can be top 10 why not UND..  In order to win the NCAA title all UND really needs is a new coach

why aim low like winning most of you non conference road games vs mid to high major D1 teams.  Being in the top 25% of your conference since joining it is WAY TOO LOW. Are we not UND the mecca for basketball recruits with 5 STAR players begging to grace Grand Forks and  UND  basketball greatness!!! UND  must come in first place every year and beat the likes of Duke, Kansas, North Carolina and Kentucky!  forget about beating losers like MN and Marquette on the road.... Until UND rests upon their deserved spot (national championships only) less than that the coach must be fired. 

You, my friend, need to work on your sarcasm. :whistling::silly:???

You aim too low....We should define our competition.. not the Big Sky. We need to beat the big boys on the road in the non conference  season...right on.!  Heck if Gonzaga can be top 10 why not UND..  In order to win the NCAA title all UND really needs is a new coach

Can they beat one "big boy"...ever?  Or do something of substance besides beating up on the middle-to-bottom tier of the Big Sky every year?

But you are probably right.  Nobody could win at UND, just way too many disadvantages.  Makes me wonder why Jones hasn't left for a better job then.  Somewhere he can win at.

Rebounding is the thing I have noticed the last few years as being the thing that is most frustrating thing about watching UND basketball.....for the record I see many college teams that rebound just as poorly. Last night against Marquette, when they missed it was basically a 50-50 proposition of who would gain possession. When a shot goes up you see all of our guys just turn around and look at the rim and try and figure out where the ball is going to end up and then hope they have the athletic ability and luck of the bounce to get it before their opponent does. I would rather see 1 or 2 of our big guys average 9 or 10 boards a game rather than all of our guys have 2-6 a game....this would happen if everyone did their job and actually put a body on their guy and had confidence that their teammates were doing the same.

You can tell that we do not spend any team on rebounding. An average team should have 4 times as many defensive rebounds as their opponent has offensive rebounds and the goal should probably be 5 to 1. On offense you want to trend that number the other way and get at least 25% and try and get to 30%.

An average team like Quinnipiac(5-5) who I wouldn't imagine is any more athletic than UND leads the country in rebounding and they don't have a guy on their roster over 6-9. It is all about effort and technique. When I went to school at UND, Gunther was still the coach and then Glas. both those teams rebounded pretty well but Gunther's teams were exceptionally hard nosed. I remember watching practices a few times and watching them attach the small rim or rim blocker on the bucket and every guy would check the guy they were guarding and block out(we did this drill when I was in high school as well) and a coach would throw up a shot from outside and you had to block your guy out well enough for the ball to hit the floor. if the offense got the ball, you ran. Sometimes in high school we would even do the drill with anything goes for the offensive guy as far as pushing, grabbing, going over the back etc.(usually did this until tempers flared a bit). I used to take it personally and get a little embarrassed even in pickup ball if the guy I was checking got an offensive rebound.

Anyway long story short, Coach Jones says all the time and for that matter "coachspeak" these days is valuing the basketball and not wasting possessions....I think obtaining possession can be just as important.

Unfortunately fundamentals in basketball have all but gone away from the NBA on down to where you have very few teams that understand the game and instead rely on athletic ability alone....I know if started in the NBA and has been a running joke since at least the 80's about how much traveling is allowed in the NBA but that has now made its way to the college game as well. In about a 5 minute stretch last night we counted at least a dozen non called traveling violations on each end.

Rebounding is the thing I have noticed the last few years as being the thing that is most frustrating thing about watching UND basketball.....for the record I see many college teams that rebound just as poorly. Last night against Marquette, when they missed it was basically a 50-50 proposition of who would gain possession. When a shot goes up you see all of our guys just turn around and look at the rim and try and figure out where the ball is going to end up and then hope they have the athletic ability and luck of the bounce to get it before their opponent does.

You can tell that we do not spend any team on rebounding. An average team should have 4 times as many defensive rebounds as their opponent has offensive rebounds and the goal should probably be 5 to 1. On offense you want to trend that number the other way and get at least 25% and try and get to 30%.

An average team like Quinnipiac(5-5) who I wouldn't imagine is any more athletic than UND leads the country in rebounding and they don't have a guy on their roster over 6-9. It is all about effort and technique. When I went to school at UND, Gunther was still the coach and then Glas. both those teams rebounded pretty well but Gunther's teams were exceptionally hard nosed. I remember watching practices a few times and watching them attach the small rim or rim blocker on the bucket and every guy would check the guy they were guarding and block out(we did this drill when I was in high school as well) and a coach would throw up a shot from outside and you had to block your guy out well enough for the ball to hit the floor. if the offense got the ball, you ran. Sometimes in high school we would even do the drill with anything goes for the offensive guy as far as pushing, grabbing, going over the back etc.(usually did this until tempers flared a bit).

Anyway long story short, Coach Jones says all the time and for that matter "coachspeak" these days is valuing the basketball and not wasting possessions....I think obtaining possession can be just as important.

Unfortunately fundamentals in basketball have all but gone away from the NBA on down to where you have very few teams that understand the game and instead rely on athletic ability alone....I know if started in the NBA and has been a running joke since at least the 80's about how much traveling is allowed in the NBA but that has now made its way to the college game as well. In about a 5 minute stretch last night we counted at least a dozen non called traveling violations on each end.

Good Post

Home Attendance at UND (avg. per game):

2003 - 2585 (Glas)

2004 - 2791

2005 - 2285

2006 - 2189 (Jones)

2007 - 1866

2008 - 1809

2009 - 1919

2010 - 1720

2011 - 2045

2012 - 1625

2013 - 1839

Parallel's the football attendance decline.

Last year's attendance was the same as 2007 and higher than the previous three year average that's not much of a decline.

Home Attendance at UND (avg. per game):

2003 - 2585 (Glas)

2004 - 2791

2005 - 2285

2006 - 2189 (Jones)

2007 - 1866

2008 - 1809

2009 - 1919

2010 - 1720

2011 - 2045

2012 - 1625

2013 - 1839

Parallel's the football attendance decline.

The 2011 numbers included the NDSU game at the REA.

I think the early 2000 numbers were inflated because of double headers and I'm guessing the 2004 numbers included the Kansas game. I've been following UND basketball for a long time and counting the women's program I think interest in UND basketball as a whole is at its best point of the D1 era. I think the encouraging thing is there is a lot of room for growth. Attendance is ok, but i think better non conference home games would go a long ways in helping attendance and giving the teams a chance at a better non conference record. Gopher women's game being an example even though that type of game won't come as often. NDSU, SDSU, USD, Omaha, Denver, umkc, should be home and homes we try to get with an occasional home and home or two for one with a MVC, Horizon, MWC school. Maybe put together a tournament like NDSu did this year. Continue to schedule schools like Iowa, N Iowa, Iowa St Minnesota, Wisconsin, Marquette, Nebraska Creighton,Colorado.for money games. Gophers should be priority every year. Lots of UND alums in Az and Cali so maybe ASU or Cal, Stanford. Strategic schedule can help grow attendance and interest.

I also look at the fact that UND Basketball has a TV deal with FSN north and has been on multiple national tv stations the last few years. UND hockey, Football, NDSu football and basketball don't have deals with FSN north but UNDbasketball does. We had two programs playing to go to the big dance last year with one making it. Interest is at a good place you just need to continue to grow it.

IMHO Jones could pick it up in this area. He should look to Brew and Bubba as good examples. Those guys take every opportunity possible to talk about there program to media fans donors and potential donors and fans. An example was a few days after Brews team makes the NCAAs, who is sitting in the first row mid court at the girls state tourney decked out in UND gear. Probably was shown and talked about on tv as well during the broadcast. That makes an impression on people in this state and helps gain more fans.

I think the early 2000 numbers were inflated because of double headers and I'm guessing the 2004 numbers included the Kansas game. I've been following UND basketball for a long time and counting the women's program I think interest in UND basketball as a whole is at its best point of the D1 era. I think the encouraging thing is there is a lot of room for growth. Attendance is ok, but i think better non conference home games would go a long ways in helping attendance and giving the teams a chance at a better non conference record. Gopher women's game being an example even though that type of game won't come as often. NDSU, SDSU, USD, Omaha, Denver, umkc, should be home and homes we try to get with an occasional home and home or two for one with a MVC, Horizon, MWC school. Maybe put together a tournament like NDSu did this year. Continue to schedule schools like Iowa, N Iowa, Iowa St Minnesota, Wisconsin, Marquette, Nebraska Creighton,Colorado.for money games. Gophers should be priority every year. Lots of UND alums in Az and Cali so maybe ASU or Cal, Stanford. Strategic schedule can help grow attendance and interest.

I also look at the fact that UND Basketball has a TV deal with FSN north and has been on multiple national tv stations the last few years. UND hockey, Football, NDSu football and basketball don't have deals with FSN north but UNDbasketball does. We had two programs playing to go to the big dance last year with one making it. Interest is at a good place you just need to continue to grow it.

IMHO Jones could pick it up in this area. He should look to Brew and Bubba as good examples. Those guys take every opportunity possible to talk about there program to media fans donors and potential donors and fans. An example was a few days after Brews team makes the NCAAs, who is sitting in the first row mid court at the girls state tourney decked out in UND gear. Probably was shown and talked about on tv as well during the broadcast. That makes an impression on people in this state and helps gain more fans.

I agree with your post especially getting better OOC home games, can we dump Mayville and Dickinson and get a DI team up here.