SiouxSports.com Forum

Sweeney leaving WDAZ

dmksioux

He couldn't understand why 2 local, "UND guys" were bypassed  for a Fargo guy.  I told him it was because a South Dakota based company didn't understand or care about the importance of a local connection.

Again completely wrong...and Hammer did UND FB on the radio for what 3 or 4 years with Tony Stein before that so there was no "local connection"?  WHAT?   Did you ever think LOCAL input from the community was considered before midco made their decision?  That's the key...it was!

Come on, only my wife can call me completely wrong.   ;)   I probably should have said "in comparison to Tim and Pat, Dan had almost no local connection".

At the time those final 3 were interviewed, Tim and Pat had been living and working in Grand Forks for over 30 years.  Doing play by play of UND games, doing UND coach's shows, reporting on UND sports, all while residing in Grand Forks as UND guys.  For over 3 decades.  Meanwhile, Dan was a Fargo guy.   Had never lived in Grand Forks before.   Had never done a UND coach's show.  Had way less overall colllege sports play by play experience than the other 2.   That's what surprised Pat when he lost out on the job.   

What does "LOCAL input from the community" even mean?   Did Midco poll 20 people?   100 people?   The local media and UND folks I know, consider Dan a downgrade from Pat in both his play by play call and also in terms of UND knowledge.    And, most local fans I've talked to still consider Dan both a "Fargo guy" and a downgrade. 

Midco made a business decision hiring Dan, all I was saying was I surprised by it, and so was Pat.   Maybe you care to explain what  "LOCAL input from the community" means and how that factored into hiring a Fargo guy over long term, local UND guys.

• Upvote 2

Come on, only my wife can call me completely wrong.   ;)   I probably should have said "in comparison to Tim and Pat, Dan had almost no local connection".

At the time those final 3 were interviewed, Tim and Pat had been living and working in Grand Forks for over 30 years.  Doing play by play of UND games, doing UND coach's shows, reporting on UND sports, all while residing in Grand Forks as UND guys.  For over 3 decades.  Meanwhile, Dan was a Fargo guy.   Had never lived in Grand Forks before.   Had never done a UND coach's show.  Had way less overall colllege sports play by play experience than the other 2.   That's what surprised Pat when he lost out on the job.   

What does "LOCAL input from the community" even mean?   Did Midco poll 20 people?   100 people?   The local media and UND folks I know, consider Dan a downgrade from Pat in both his play by play call and also in terms of UND knowledge.    And, most local fans I've talked to still consider Dan both a "Fargo guy" and a downgrade. 

Midco made a business decision hiring Dan, all I was saying was I surprised by it, and so was Pat.   Maybe you care to explain what  "LOCAL input from the community" means and how that factored into hiring a Fargo guy over long term, local UND guys.

Dan Hammer is informative to UND sports as Ed Schultz was.

Again completely wrong...and Hammer did UND FB on the radio for what 3 or 4 years with Tony Stein before that so there was no "local connection"?  WHAT?   Did you ever think LOCAL input from the community was considered before midco made their decision?  That's the key...it was!

They couldn't have got much local input because most people I've talked to consider him a terrible downgrade and wish we could go back to the days of Sweeney.

• Upvote 2

Even though they have day jobs don't the play by play guys for UND hockey actually work for UND directly when they are announcing games? Perhaps we will continue to see Pat on the air now that he is a UND employee. He's one of the nicest guys in sports you will ever meet and great to know he's staying here, connected with UND.   

They couldn't have got much local input because most people I've talked to consider him a terrible downgrade and wish we could go back to the days of Sweeney.

Totally agree.

Remember though that und contracted midco (private company) to get the job done. Midco can really do whatever they want until their contract is up. Anyone know when it is?

Even though they have day jobs don't the play by play guys for UND hockey actually work for UND directly when they are announcing games? Perhaps we will continue to see Pat on the air now that he is a UND employee. He's one of the nicest guys in sports you will ever meet and great to know he's staying here, connected with UND.   

I believe they're midcontinent employees rather than UND employees.  Basketball may be a UND employee.

DIfferent broadcast = new directions.  If people would have demanded PS stay he would have - they did not - despite what the 12 people here say.

• 3 weeks later...

So he's leaving 'DAZ to do something different. After 39 years the guy's earned it. 

I say this at times to make fun of Bison football fans, but I think it fits here also:

How things are right now is how they'll always be. 

Part of growing (as a person, community, or State) is accepting that change is always happening. Heck, someday all the good ol' boys will be on the other side of the grass too. 

Terry and pat just couldn't see the station they built with own two hands fall to the way side imo

The station they built ... has it really kept up with the times? 

Don't get me wrong, Pat and Terry had a great run and earned a ton of respect, but as with everything in life there comes a time to move on.