SiouxSports.com Forum

Sweeney leaving WDAZ

dmksioux

Sweeney is leaving WDAZ for a job at UND. Best of luck to Mr. Sweeney, GF area sports won't be the same without him.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/wdaz-sports-director-sweeney-leaving-und

It would've been great if MidcoSN hired him and fired Dan Hammer. He knows nothing about UND sports where Pat knew everything about it.

• Upvote 1

Hammer had more sales expeirence

it takes sales to make money

business decision

I too would have liked Sweeney but do know how to run a bizness

I wish Sweeney well

I am afraid that this will move sports to fargo

What in the world does play-by-play have to do with sales?  Let Hammer sell advertising and hire Sweeney to do play-by-play (yes, I have come around on this).  And if Midco "can't afford it", then they are being penny-wise and pound-foolish considering they have already sunk big bucks into being able to televise UND sports.

Hammer had more sales expeirence

it takes sales to make money

business decision

I too would have liked Sweeney but do know how to run a bizness

I wish Sweeney well

I am afraid that this will move sports to fargo

That might be reality.

Or it could be that Sweeney will be needed when UND goes FBS.

this was broken at the meeting this morning

and I was told that sports could be heading to fargo was the rumor going around the big Sioux

I didn't want to break it cuz I didn't think it could be ever true

Not a shocker at all...look at what's happened in the last year or so to "the home team"

--weekend newscasts go away in favor of a Wday/z "regional" newscast (remember that theme). 

--this year, they dump a local 5 o'clock newscast in favor of carrying a "shared" Wday/z "regional" newscast.  AGAIN the "home team" takes it up the you know what in favor of the "regional" approach.

--Now the 6 and 10 are still "local" (with the same taped fargo weather they've always had) BUT they've lost their 30+ year veteran sports anchor...now it's decision time...do you hire another veteran sports guy and keep huddling as the "home team" OR does 'Day take advantage and say "We'll now do a REGIONAL SPORTS SUPERCAST (or whatever they want to call it) where we keep a sports guy in GF but the anchoring is done from Fargo.  (Much like KVLY has always done with highlights gathered from all over the state but done as 1 show)  Done and done.

--PREDICTION - this will be the next step in losing local TV in GF in favor of the "regional" newscast approach from Fargo.  Say goodbye to TerryD too...he'll be going away sooner than you think.  That's why they made a big deal about his "39th Anniversary" last year.  They knew he probably wouldn't hang around for 40.  Why would you when they create a new 30 minute show for you to do on Sunday mornings with few resources and no one watching.  It's a shove out the door.  

--All you have left then is maybe a local "newsblock" from GF inserted into the WDAY SUPER NEWS at 6 and 10 - The home team loses and folds!  Sad.

PS - Ernie sunk the ship!

What in the world does play-by-play have to do with sales?  Let Hammer sell advertising and hire Sweeney to do play-by-play (yes, I have come around on this).  And if Midco "can't afford it", then they are being penny-wise and pound-foolish considering they have already sunk big bucks into being able to televise UND spo

You don't have any idea what you're talking about - so don't.

Not a shocker at all...look at what's happened in the last year or so to "the home team"

--weekend newscasts go away in favor of a Wday/z "regional" newscast (remember that theme).

--this year, they dump a local 5 o'clock newscast in favor of carrying a "shared" Wday/z "regional" newscast. AGAIN the "home team" takes it up the you know what in favor of the "regional" approach.

--Now the 6 and 10 are still "local" (with the same taped fargo weather they've always had) BUT they've lost their 30+ year veteran sports anchor...now it's decision time...do you hire another veteran sports guy and keep huddling as the "home team" OR does 'Day take advantage and say "We'll now do a REGIONAL SPORTS SUPERCAST (or whatever they want to call it) where we keep a sports guy in GF but the anchoring is done from Fargo. (Much like KVLY has always done with highlights gathered from all over the state but done as 1 show) Done and done.

--PREDICTION - this will be the next step in losing local TV in GF in favor of the "regional" newscast approach from Fargo. Say goodbye to TerryD too...he'll be going away sooner than you think. That's why they made a big deal about his "39th Anniversary" last year. They knew he probably wouldn't hang around for 40. Why would you when they create a new 30 minute show for you to do on Sunday mornings with few resources and no one watching. It's a shove out the door.

--All you have left then is maybe a local "newsblock" from GF inserted into the WDAY SUPER NEWS at 6 and 10 - The home team loses and folds! Sad.

PS - Ernie sunk the ship!

Long overdue. The production quality coming out of there has been abysmal. Some of the weekend anchors I saw made the Ball State Boom Goes the Dynamite kid look like Peter Jennings.

• Upvote 1

Run along folks.....wdaz will still do the local news. no matter what gfhockey says, there has never been any discussions about the 6 and 10 leaving. As far as the comment "Ernie sunk the ship", you have no idea what you are talking about and I dare you to go to the station and tell him that!

You people are worse than the 9/11 truthers!

I haven't lived in GF for a while, but it will be sad to know that Pat Sweeney will not be at WDAZ.  He was a fixture of my youth.  I remember watching his sportscasts (and his play-by-play for Sioux hockey) since as long as I can remember.  Sioux hockey games have not been the same since he was replaced, and now WDAZ will not be the same without him.  It's just a reminder that nothing ever stays the same I guess.

suffice it to say i know PS was interviewed for the job and was rejected - and not because of his "sales abilities"

Agreed............  I worked with Pat for his first 12 years at 'DAZ.   He told me that he, Hammer and Tim Hennessy were the final 3 for the Midco job at the time.  He couldn't understand why 2 local, "UND guys" were bypassed  for a Fargo guy.  I told him it was because a South Dakota based company didn't understand or care about the importance of a local connection.

On another note, Rob Horken isn't be the one making any decision about eliminating newscasts, or any future one about dropping local sports.  Those type of decisions always have and always will be made in Fargo, despite resistance from WDAZ management.  Rob just has the fun job of delivering the news to people and carrying out the orders.

Good Luck in the new job Pat!

• Upvote 4

this was broken at the meeting this morning

and I was told that sports could be heading to fargo was the rumor going around the big Sioux

I didn't want to break it cuz I didn't think it could be ever true

Thought you attended the big sit downs via skype or facetime? Isn't that three in a row you've made? Tough sledding in the roughnecking biz?