SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

Now that there is a playoff of sorts, maybe the annual genuflecting to an SEC team will come to an end.

Just a rant - I am so tired of hearing that the SEC is the be-all, end-all, only conference that ESPN thinks should be given national football championships.

I really enjoyed watching the Ducks beat FSU and take them to the woodshed.

Can we just get an 8 team playoff where none of the playoff games are Bowl games?!!!

These bowl games are big business in cities like Los Angeles, Orlando, New Orleans, and Atlanta. No way they totally dump all those years of bowl tradition in favor of the "Dr Pepper Quarterfinal Games."

Can we just get an 8 team playoff where none of the playoff games are Bowl games?!!!   

I would hope so...sooner, rather than later. I like how everyone is saying the committee got it right since Ohio State won but in reality it just shows that more teams should be in as Ohio State's resume should have landed them in the 5 or 6 spot(with FSU) and they still managed to beat the number 1.

I am not an SEC fan but I do find it funny that everyone around here(Big 10 country) is spouting off about the SEC being overrated(they are a bit this year) and pumping up the Big 10 which is still the 4th best conference even if the SEC is down.

I know coming into this year there was talk of the SEC being down this year due to all the players that have left early over the last few years catching up to them.(The SEC has had more underclassman drafted in the first round over the last few years than the ACC, Pac 12, and Big 10 combined). Then with the surprising seasons by Ole Miss and Mississippi State the national media forgot about the SEC being down talk and instead ran with the SEC is stronger than ever mantra when in reality the rise of those teams in the conference should have been the first indication that the SEC had indeed come back to the pack a little bit.

I would hope so...sooner, rather than later. I like how everyone is saying the committee got it right since Ohio State won but in reality it just shows that more teams should be in as Ohio State's resume should have landed them in the 5 or 6 spot(with FSU).

Mississippi State, Baylor, Michigan State, and TCU were the other four popular names mentioned in an 8-team playoff. I'm assuming TCU would have treated MSU the same way they did Ole Miss so our four semi-finalists would now be Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan State, and TCU.

All that work to try and get two SEC teams into the final four and what we would have wound up with was two BIG TEN teams in the final four. LOL!

Mississippi State, Baylor, Michigan State, and TCU were the other four popular names mentioned in an 8-team playoff. I'm assuming TCU would have treated MSU the same way they did Ole Miss so our four semi-finalists would now be Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan State, and TCU.

All that work to try and get two SEC teams into the final four and what we would have wound up with was two BIG TEN teams in the final four. LOL!

One way to look at it, but the matchups may have been a little different. :)

Bama vs. Sparty

Baylor vs. Ohio State

Oregon vs. Mississippi State

TCU vs. Florida State

One way to look at it, but the matchups may have been a little different. :)

Bama vs. Sparty

Baylor vs. Ohio State

Oregon vs. Mississippi State

TCU vs. Florida State

Can someone say March madness on steriods?!!!  These 7 games would be unbelievable.  And more than just an exciting bowl game like the Baylor/Mich St. game.  These gam,es would have all meant something.  Win and go on, lose and go home.  Seriously.  I really hope th ratings for the 2 playoff games are thru the roof and they can make the changes for playoff expansion soon!!

I would hope so...sooner, rather than later. I like how everyone is saying the committee got it right since Ohio State won but in reality it just shows that more teams should be in as Ohio State's resume should have landed them in the 5 or 6 spot(with FSU) and they still managed to beat the number 1.

I am not an SEC fan but I do find it funny that everyone around here(Big 10 country) is spouting off about the SEC being overrated(they are a bit this year) and pumping up the Big 10 which is still the 4th best conference even if the SEC is down.

I know coming into this year there was talk of the SEC being down this year due to all the players that have left early over the last few years catching up to them.(The SEC has had more underclassman drafted in the first round over the last few years than the ACC, Pac 12, and Big 10 combined). Then with the surprising seasons by Ole Miss and Mississippi State the national media forgot about the SEC being down talk and instead ran with the SEC is stronger than ever mantra when in reality the rise of those teams in the conference should have been the first indication that the SEC had indeed come back to the pack a little bit.

Why wouldn't Big 10 backers be spouting off about the SEC being overrated and the Big 10 being better than anyone gave them credit for. Back in week 2 everyone in the national media said the Big 10 was horrible and had no chance to have a playoff team. The conference is 5-4 in bowl games even though they were a underdog in every game including 2-1 in head to head games against the SEC. Everyone has talked so much about how great the SEC has been the past few years it is only right when they struggle that should be thrown in their face like it is other conferences. 

Bowl Standings through 1/1/15:

Pac 12 5-1

Big 10 5-4

SEC 5-5

ACC 4-6

Big 12 1-4

Iowa may have matched up better with Missouri since they waxed Indiana earlier this season.

I think Tennessee is an SEC team poised to break out of its doldrums.

Iowa has been a major disappointment, lots of people had them picked to get to Indy with their favorable schedule.  Escapes against UNI, a loss to Iowa State, and an absolute beat down at TCF by the Gophers.

Wonder if Kirk seat is starting to get warm in Iowa City. 

I think Iowa is a program that is on a downturn and they look horrible today while the Vols seem to be on the upswing a little bit and at least to me this result isn't real surprising. Anyone see earlier when the Iowa kick returner was about to step out of bounds and just decided to throw the ball forward?

Not much chirping today as the #6 Big 10 team is currently getting housed by 5 touchdowns to the #12 SEC squad.

Probably more like the #8 Big 10 team and the #11 SEC team but your point still stands nothing for the Big 10 to chirp about in that game. Most people that have watched Iowa probably figured that would be the case as they just aren't a real great football team and really struggled with speed all year. After they got down by a couple TDs right away I knew it was over and watched the Under Armour All American game instead. Still a solid bowl season for the Big 10 and better than a lot of people thought it would be with one big game left to play although I think Oregon will beat Ohio State.

Florida busts out the orange jerseys for the Birmingham Bowl...I don't know what took them so long this season...maybe Muschamp wasn't a fan of them? I think they're awesome.

I believe they've worn them this year.  But with orange pants.  Not such good look then.  Very interesting to listen to the new coach talk during the broadcast about how well the coaches were doing and yet I'd bte he's replacing most.  It was cool to hear that conversation for that drive though.  

(disclaimer: Gator fan since parents brought me home a shirt from Florida as little kid)