SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

In the interest of full disclosure, while it's pretty well-known here that I'm a Michigan football fan, I also follow Georgia pretty closely and watch the Bulldogs any time they're on TV.

How did you end up being a fan of all things Michigan (pro, college), other than the Sioux, of course.

How did you end up being a fan of all things Michigan (pro, college), other than the Sioux, of course.

We had 2 TV channels out in SW ND back in the late 1970's/early 1980's...CBS and NBC. I'm not sure how they were allowed to do it, but CBS would show ABC's Saturday college football games as well as the NFL's Monday Night Football game. Most of those Saturday games involved the Michigan Wolverines. I fell in love with the fight song and winged helmets probably by the time I turned 10 years old. I also followed college basketball at the time and remember the players Antoine Joubert, Gary "The General" Grant, Roy Tarpley, and other great Michigan players who were there a few years before the great 1988-1989 team with guys like Glen Rice, Rumeal Robinson, and Sean Higgins.

Since that area of NoDak was already dominated by Vikings and Twins fans, I decided to not join the bandwagon and instead cheered for Michigan across the board - Tigers, Lions*, and Pistons* specifically. Didn't follow a lot of hockey back then, but quickly adopted the Red Wings as well once I got to college in Grand Forks and started catching tons of games on CBC.

*In the interest of full disclosure, the Pistons and Lions of the late 1970's/early 1980's were a mess, so I had a wandering eye with respect to the sports of professional basketball and football. I liked watching Dr J and his unbelievable moves on the court and my friends all knew me as a big-time Philadelphia 76er fan. Similarly with the NFL, the Miami Dolphins caught my eye in about 1980 and I would say that they were my favorite NFL team until I kind of lost interest in them after Dan Marino retired.

Today, I don't follow the NBA and NFL nearly as much as I do college football, the NHL, and MLB.

So with the playoff getting started today who is everyone picking? I'm going with Oregon over FSU and Ohio State over Alabama I'm hoping for a solid day for the Big Ten with Michigan State and Minnesota also picking up wins

Florida State over Oregon. Not impressed with what I've seen out of Arizona and Arizona State and think the Pac-12 is over-rated and ACC under-rated.

Ohio State over Alabama. Heads will roll after this game.

Baylor beats Michigan State. And it won't be close.

Minnesota beats Missouri. The SEC is in flames.

Don't think Georgia Tech could be successful in the SEC, but they don't play there, and so it is not overly important.

Kudos to Coach Johnson for showing folks that athleticism is only but a part of the equation.

Shocking that some of these good schools are salty about not making the playoffs.  LSU, Ole miss, and miss state played terrible.  Fact. Doesn't make the SEC look good.

So with the playoff getting started today who is everyone picking? I'm going with Oregon over FSU and Ohio State over Alabama I'm hoping for a solid day for the Big Ten with Michigan State and Minnesota also picking up wins

Oregon, mizzou, Baylor, bama, auburn

Shocking that some of these good schools are salty about not making the playoffs. LSU, Ole miss, and miss state played terrible. Fact. Doesn't make the SEC look good.

I give lots of credit to Gary Patterson and how he kept TCU focused and didn't let that team sulk over not being one of the final four. Oklahoma has missed out on a title game appearance a couple of times recently and promptly been upset by cinderella Boise State and pounded mercilessly by Alabama in the bowl games immediately afterward.

I give lots of credit to Gary Patterson and how he kept TCU focused and didn't let that team sulk over not being one of the final four. Oklahoma has missed out on a title game appearance a couple of times recently and promptly been upset by cinderella Boise State and pounded mercilessly by Alabama in the bowl games immediately afterward.

Yeah, but ole miss didn't even show up.  I guess, LSU and AZ at least showed up in the second half.  Not sure what happened to miss St, last I saw they were down by one at half. 

Surprised by MNs defense so far.  Mauk looks terrible.

Yeah, but ole miss didn't even show up. I guess, LSU and AZ at least showed up in the second half. Not sure what happened to miss St, last I saw they were down by one at half.

Surprised by MNs defense so far. Mauk looks terrible.

GT got the opening kickoff of the second half and a couple of plays later, ran off about a 50 yard TD run. I believe MSU turned the ball over on downs on their first possession of the half and GT promptly did the same thing they did to open the half - run right down the field and score. From 21-20 at the half to 35-20 a couple of minutes into the 3rd. MSU looked done at that point, even though they did eventually put 14 more points on the board.

Yeah, but ole miss didn't even show up. I guess, LSU and AZ at least showed up in the second half.

So TCU only looked good because Ole Miss didn't show up? Looked to me that the Rebels did show up...and then waved the white flag before halftime. You could see the demoralization in the players' eyes. But I give credit to TCU for beating Ole Miss into submission.

BTW, Mizzou may be close, but there is no better nickname for a school than Ole Miss.

So TCU only looked good because Ole Miss didn't show up? Looked to me that the Rebels did show up...and then waved the white flag before halftime. You could see the demoralization in the players' eyes. But I give credit to TCU for beating Ole Miss into submission.

BTW, Mizzou may be close, but there is no better nickname for a school than Ole Miss.

I never said that, I had TCU winning that game.  However, Ole Miss didn't even show up. I should saw the ole miss O didn't show up.

I agree.

I never said that, I had TCU winning that game. However, Ole Miss didn't even show up. I should saw the ole miss O didn't show up.

I agree.

I will add this...can't recall another team forced to watch not one but two teammates (in different games) carted off the field with obviously serious leg injuries. Ole Miss looked pretty disinterested in continuing play last night after their lineman was put in the air-cast, limped to the cart, and driven off the field.

Maxx Williams with a highlight reel catch and run for a TD

14-13 Gophers

Mizzou reaching into the bag of tricks with an onside kick and fake punt

Great hurdle by Maxx! Looked like refs missed an easy offside call on Mizzou on that onside kick that led to 3 points for them.

Gophers punt returner makes a horrible decision trying to field a bouncing ball and gives it right back to Mizzou and the Tigers score 19-14.

Mauk just blew up the safety Wells on that TD. Color commentator keeps bringing up targeting, but not sure if he thinks it should have been the qb or the safety flagged.