SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

I would bet a more likely scenario would have the Gophers going to South Bend, IN.  No Notre Dame Fighting Irish means the NCAA will need some fans from somewhere to put butts in the seats there.  Fargo will sell out with or without the Gophers. 

Yeah that is very true, but there are some scary good teams hanging around that 14-20 PWR right now. I'm sure it will all shake out.

I am also hoping for the Sioux to be playing 3 non-traveling fan bases in fargo so I can pick up some tickets.

Yeah that is very true, but there are some scary good teams hanging around that 14-20 PWR right now. I'm sure it will all shake out.

I am also hoping for the Sioux to be playing 3 non-traveling fan bases in fargo so I can pick up some tickets.

Well, with any luck, the AHA champ is 1 of those 3!

The B1G may be bad this year but it doesn't make me feel to comfortable in this scenario. Minnesota hovers around where they are now for the rest of the season, they go into the B1G tourney and win it. That will get them a 4 seed and they get placed in the Fargo regional, setting up a first round game with the Sioux... I'm not sure I like that first round match up.

Agreed I want nothing to do with that matchup in the 1st round. If the Gophers are gonna make it into the NCAA's I'd rather see them sent to the Notre Dame regional or shipped out East.

Agreed I want nothing to do with that matchup in the 1st round. If the Gophers are gonna make it into the NCAA's I'd rather see them sent to the Notre Dame regional or shipped out East.

If they want to stick to this attendance talk, there's no reason for Minny to be in Fargo. Send them to South Bend and hope to draw some casual fans or UMN alumni groups in that region.

If they want to stick to this attendance talk, there's no reason for Minny to be in Fargo. Send them to South Bend and hope to draw some casual fans or UMN alumni groups in that region.

I just said that earlier LOL. Unless Notre Dame pulls a rabbit out of its hat and makes the tournament, the lone B10 participant will likely wind up in South Bend.

I was at the regional in Grand Rapids in 2013 with a potential Sioux-Gopher matchup. Gopher fans didn't show up then. What has changed or is different that they would show up in South Bend?

I guess South Bend has the alma mater of Lucia. That will draw his son and maybe a couple of friends.

I was at the regional in Grand Rapids in 2013 with a potential Sioux-Gopher matchup. Gopher fans didn't show up then. What has changed or is different that they would show up in South Bend?

I guess South Bend has the alma mater of Lucia. That will draw his son and maybe a couple of friends.

Unless the regional is local, most fans can't afford to go the regional if they plan on going to the Frozen Four. It's not even an option for me.  But Gopher hockey fans do travel very well to Frozen Fours regardless of location. 

It is 315 miles from Grand Forks to St. Paul. It is 508 miles from Minneapolis to South Bend, IN. Sioux fans inundate the Xcel Energy Center when a regional is held there. That is not local. It is only about 3 hours further from Minneapolis to South Bend, but Gopher fans can't be expected to show up? There is something more to it than cost, since it is only about one tank of gas difference round trip between the two sites.

It is 315 miles from Grand Forks to St. Paul. It is 508 miles from Minneapolis to South Bend, IN. Sioux fans inundate the Xcel Energy Center when a regional is held there. That is not local. It is only about 3 hours further from Minneapolis to South Bend, but Gopher fans can't be expected to show up? There is something more to it than cost, since it is only about one tank of gas difference round trip between the two sites.

And there were tons of Gopher fans at the Ralph when the regional was there as well.  And a difference of 3 hours which is 6 both ways is quite a difference IMO. 

I would imagine quite a few North Dakota fans live in or around the TC area.

And there were tons of Gopher fans at the Ralph when the regional was there as well.  And a difference of 3 hours which is 6 both ways is quite a difference IMO.

Really? 7,000 UND fans made the trip to a regular season series at Omaha in February 2013. A regular season series, not a regional, nor a Frozen Four. A distance of 499 miles from Grand Forks, just 9 miles less than Minneapolis - South Bend. I guess there is quite a difference between the two fan bases, much more than the mileage difference.