SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

6-0 on the road and 4-0 at home. While they haven't exactly played college hockey juggernauts so far, there is no denying the impressive start to Tech's 2014-2015 season.

The Huskies have played a unimpressive schedule to date, they're opponents record is (19-33-2, .384)...

The Huskies have played a unimpressive schedule to date, they're opponents record is (19-33-2, .384)...

That all changes next weekend with the much-hyped #1 vs #2 in the PWR matchup between Mankato and Tech!

I'm sure a few TV stations will be trying hard to get that matchup televised.

;)  :D

• Upvote 1

I get that, Goon, but you would still expect a hiccup or two at some point ten games into the season no matter who the opponents are. 10 and oh is 10 and oh. Party on, you Yoopers!

In all the projected polls, I'm surprised Duluth isn't getting more love.  Sure they had a rocky start, but sweeping SCSU and UMN on back to back weekends should put them close to Top 5 in my opinion.  BU, ND, Tech, MN, UMass Lowell, Duluth, Miami?

MafiaMan - I feel like for Jamie Russell's sake, we should note that in one of those last years, Tech was absolutely annihilated by injuries.  There's only so much any coach can do with that.  Obviously Russell's record as a whole is poor, but I felt pretty bad for him that year (I'm trying to remember the specific year, but can't).

You really love your tech squad :). U from that area originally?

Ha! I suppose I had that coming, didn't I? Not from the UP originally, but have had the good fortune of seeing games at Lake Superior State, Northern Michigan, and Michigan Tech. Got to see the bell-ringing tradition at LSSU, meet the Puckheads from NMU, and chat with many good fans at MTU. I went to school at UND from '88 to '92 and the Huskies were by then, the league doormat. After doing some research on college hockey and traditions, I became kind of fond of the Huskies. In 1994, they made a magical run from the worst-finishing team in the league all the way to the WCHA playoff championship game. The fans there are awesome and have waited - and HOPED - for a long, long time for their program to turn around. I'd imagine John MacInnes is smiling somewhere as the arena that bears his name will surely be rockin' at its next home game. GO YOOPERS!

In all the projected polls, I'm surprised Duluth isn't getting more love.  Sure they had a rocky start, but sweeping SCSU and UMN on back to back weekends should put them close to Top 5 in my opinion.  BU, ND, Tech, MN, UMass Lowell, Duluth, Miami?

MafiaMan - I feel like for Jamie Russell's sake, we should note that in one of those last years, Tech was absolutely annihilated by injuries.  There's only so much any coach can do with that.  Obviously Russell's record as a whole is poor, but I felt pretty bad for him that year (I'm trying to remember the specific year, but can't).

UMD will get plenty of love this year from the pollsters.  They're a good team.

The problem is there are about 6 really good teams in the NCHC this year.  It's going to be a little like the SEC West in football.  Every week you are playing a team that is probably good enough to make a serious run in the NCAA's.  Teams are going to take their lumps, so I don't see an NCHC team going on a long run that propels it to the top of the polls. 

But that said, a solid non-conference performance thus far should keep 5-6 of the teams in the running for NCAA spots as we head through the second half.  Probably more likely that UNO falls back a bit, and I've yet to see DU play.  But should be a wild ride.

I recall Tech knocking off CC in the first round, best-of-three playoffs back in 1994 at the old BroAdmoor World Arena. Tech had a goalie by the name of Jamie Ram who absolutely stood on his head and won it for Tech. As pissed as I was to see CC get upset, at home, I was happy it was Tech rather than anyone else in the league.

MafiaMan - I feel like for Jamie Russell's sake, we should note that in one of those last years, Tech was absolutely annihilated by injuries. There's only so much any coach can do with that. Obviously Russell's record as a whole is poor, but I felt pretty bad for him that year (I'm trying to remember the specific year, but can't).

As a Tech alum, I'm sure Jamie's heart was in the right place, but the results were most certainly not there. He did have his own fan club though...

http://firejamierussell.blogspot.com/?m=1

I recall Tech knocking off CC in the first round, best-of-three playoffs back in 1994 at the old BroAdmoor World Arena. Tech had a goalie by the name of Jamie Ram who absolutely stood on his head and won it for Tech. As pissed as I was to see CC get upset, at home, I was happy it was Tech rather than anyone else in the league.

23-11-5...MacNaughton Cup champions...not among the 12 teams selected for the NCAA tournament...an abomination!

At work, not a lot of time to read or write. 

But, I would imagine the big talk is Mich Tech ranked #1.

I think it's great!  Yeah, I want UND to win it all, but to have them #1, whether it be legit or not, makes my heart warm.  Seriously.

I love it! 

Ha! I suppose I had that coming, didn't I? Not from the UP originally, but have had the good fortune of seeing games at Lake Superior State, Northern Michigan, and Michigan Tech. Got to see the bell-ringing tradition at LSSU, meet the Puckheads from NMU, and chat with many good fans at MTU. I went to school at UND from '88 to '92 and the Huskies were by then, the league doormat. After doing some research on college hockey and traditions, I became kind of fond of the Huskies. In 1994, they made a magical run from the worst-finishing team in the league all the way to the WCHA playoff championship game. The fans there are awesome and have waited - and HOPED - for a long, long time for their program to turn around. I'd imagine John MacInnes is smiling somewhere as the arena that bears his name will surely be rockin' at its next home game. GO YOOPERS!

Yeah I was just messing around.  It has been an awesome run for them though, I'm glad the wcha is having a nice start.

A little like the SEC West as in overrated and overhyped? I would like the chances of Ohio State, Michigan State, Florida State, Oregon, TCU, or Baylor vs. anybody from the SEC.

So you watch college football?  SEC is the gold standard, and there really isn't an argument.  The previous poster was right, they cannibalize each other every year.  Every other team you referenced, excluding Oregon, has a joke schedule.  Even Oregon lost to an average team.  Arkansas bets Arizona without doubt. 

• Upvote 1

You're obviously been brainwashed by the media into buying the east coast bias. They don't cannibalize each other any more so than the Big Ten does. If you want to open your mind (and eyes) and enlighten yourself to the truth, add up all the wins and losses combined for every team in the SEC and then do the same exact thing for the Big Ten. The fact of the matter is that they're about dead even, and the notion that the SEC is soooooooooooooooooooo much better is just nothing more than baseless hype/propaganda.

Ohhhhh, DaveK. :(

• Upvote 1