SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

Impressive run that Tech is on!

I could see their first loss coming next weekend against Mankato or 2 weekends later against Duluth.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MTU #1 in the polls this week with UND #2.

6-0 on the road and 4-0 at home. While they haven't exactly played college hockey juggernauts so far, there is no denying the impressive start to Tech's 2014-2015 season.

Impressive run that Tech is on!

I could see their first loss coming next weekend against Mankato or 2 weekends later against Duluth.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MTU #1 in the polls this week with UND #2.

I think we could see Boston U at #1, as they were #3 last week and didn't lose this weekend (despite only playing one game).  I would expect Tech to be #2, with UND dropping to #3 off the split this weekend.  UMTC should drop to #4, but a surprising number of voters will still give them first-place votes, even though they are 3-3 in their last 6 games.

6-0 on the road and 4-0 at home. While they haven't exactly played college hockey juggernauts so far, there is no denying the impressive start to Tech's 2014-2015 season.

I think it's great.  I can think of only one team I wouldn't want them to beat. 

I think we could see Boston U at #1, as they were #3 last week and didn't lose this weekend (despite only playing one game). I would expect Tech to be #2, with UND dropping to #3 off the split this weekend. UMTC should drop to #4, but a surprising number of voters will still give them first-place votes, even though they are 3-3 in their last 6 games.

10 wins 21 losses 4 ties

14 wins 19 losses 7 ties

The 2013-2014 records of Boston U and Michigan Tech, respectively.

What David Quinn and Mel Pearson have done with their squads thru the middle of November of this season is nothing short of incredible.

Some more numbers for you:

8, 8, 7 and 6, 5, 4.

Those are the SEASON win totals for Jamie Russell at Tech in his first three and last three years there (2003-2004 to 2005-2006 and then 2008-2009 to 2010-2011 seasons). Russell is an alum of Tech and I'm sure was crushed by those results, but again, this shows you that the right coach can indeed turn around ANY struggling program.

uah-guerriero-f.jpg

The Chargers defeat LSSU 5-2 and earn their 2nd win of the season.  The team went 2-35-1 last year.  I believe I mis-stated their 2013-2014 record earlier in this thread - I thought UAH won all of 1 game last season.  Would be nice to see this program become a WCHA contender - and their jerseys are sweet!  I especially like the horseshoe logo on the shoulder (although it looks like the Baltimore Indianapolis Colts)...

dsc_8060.jpg

Speaking of jersey features, here's another one I like...the yellow blob on Michigan Tech's left shoulder was added just before Mel Pearson's first season.  It's the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and the small black mark at the top left marks the location of Houghton and Hancock (think GF and EGF).  The patch was put on the shoulder to signify Michigan Tech being the "UP's team" - a small feature meant to take a slight jab at Northern Michigan and Lake Superior State, obviously.  I think the logic behind it was that while Michigan Tech might not be competing with Michigan and Wisconsin for recruits, if they can snag a talented kid who might otherwise be headed to Marquette or Sault Ste Marie, it's a win for their program.  The other shoulder patch is a version of the school seal.  I'd like to see UND do something with the state of ND on the shoulder of its jerseys.  Cool idea.  

That was actually pretty subdued compared to the end of last nite's game at Mariucci!

I don't know it seemed pretty jacked up to me. Really fun game, rink was packed (btw it was a record crowd that surpassed the Saturday UND game from last season) and it was LOUD! I couldn't hear the band play when we scored. It was a huge sweep for this team. With our improved goaltending and depth this is going to be a fun season. 

Can't wait until we visit UND in January. Will be my first UMD trip there in a long time. And it's shaping up to be a great series.