SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

Does anyone know why the NCC did that? I thought maybe it was because of the Fargodome being built but the games were still played at Dacotah Field.

The NCC master/10-year schedule was not on a true "calender/decade" system. I believe those back to back games were the result of the master/10-year schedule being put together for the next run.

Caveat: My recollection is that it was a 10-year master schedule, but it could have been shorter.

It's a shame this post was glossed over.  Clearly, everyone remembers this right?  I mean, back to back games at UND meant the end of the world for Bison fans, yes?  No?  People don't remember? 

No, *this* post was glossed over: 

Since this "two in Fargo" is armageddon, dogs and cat living together, MASS HYSTERIA! ... let's see who figures out the significance of:

1901, 1902

1904, 1905

1905, 1906

1910, 1912

1925, 1926, 1927

1992, 1993

1994, 1995

Here's your hint: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_Trophy

This still applies "The games are being played, that's a start.  I'm willing to bet that whatever AD we have and whatever AD NDSU has in 2017 will be able to have a civil discussion about renewing some part of the rivalry in a home-home model following the 2019 games."

Although, you've never been a fan of the current administration and this is another chance for you to spread the doom and gloom message.

First of all, I am not spreading "doom and gloom", I am simply making the point that it is highly unlikely that NDSU will ever set foot in the Alerus Center again for a regular season game. If the new AD in Fargo ends up being a guy Faison can deal with, then that could definitely change. But I wouldn't bet money on that happening.  You can if you wish, I remain skeptical.

And this is the first really bad decision, IMHO, that Faison has ever made.  Overall, he has done a good job. I am just concerned about the possible consequences of caving in like he did.

GT made it very clear to a large group of FU alumni at an event in MSP that he personally would not sign a contract that required NDSU to play in Grand Forks.  From what I was told, he didn't seem like he had any intention of signing any contract to play UND, regardless of location.  The way he kept changing his offers made that pretty clear but had he not kept "negotiating", I wouldn't have been surprised to see the legislature step in at some point.  Guessing he thought he was safe and that Faison would never agree to the deal he left on the table before he left.  Would also explain the attitude displayed at the press conference held in Fargo where no one wanted anything to do with being part of the deal being signed.  If NDSU would have again turned down another deal they offered, one that was quite one-sided in their favor, they would have raised a lot of eyebrows and brought a lot of unwanted scrutiny for the athletic department and the soon to be named AD that may have taken the negotiations out of their hands.

Bubba was the driving force behind UND accepting this deal.  He is taking a calculated risk and has a lot to gain next year in changing perceptions that he is running into on the recruiting trail.  Still don't agree with the deal that was taken but I understand why it was done and am trusting the coaching staff on this one.

We played twice in 94, with the 2nd (playoff game) in Forks--so not a "scheduled" game there. Sic.

Agree, but the earth did not tip off its axis and roll into the Sun and burst into flames after two-in-a-row in one city either. 

First of all, I am not spreading "doom and gloom", I am simply making the point that it is highly unlikely that NDSU will ever set foot in the Alerus Center again for a regular season game. If the new AD in Fargo ends up being a guy Faison can deal with, then that could definitely change. But I wouldn't bet money on that happening.  You can if you wish, I remain skeptical.

And this is the first really bad decision, IMHO, that Faison has ever made.  Overall, he has done a good job. I am just concerned about the possible consequences of caving in like he did.

Well yeah... with our new retractable roof stadium opening in 2020, that seems pretty obvious.  :)

Agree, but the earth did not tip off its axis and roll into the Sun and burst into flames after two-in-a-row in one city either. 

Straw man argument

Two in a row alone, nor it's impact on interstellar relations isn't the issue.

No home game is the issue (among others).  Even a two for one would have been an improvement. 

Pretty sure the conference scheduling ensured a future home game.

Which happens first: the next President of the United States is in his second term or a football team from the ac sets foot in Grand Forks?

• Upvote 1

Straw man argument

Two in a row alone, nor it's impact on interstellar relations isn't the issue.

No home game is the issue (among others).  Even a two for one would have been an improvement. 

Pretty sure the conference scheduling ensured a future home game.

Which happens first: the next President of the United States is in his second term or a football team from the ac sets foot in Grand Forks?

I vote for the former.  And some people on this forum wouldn't be bothered by it.  But I would. :angry:

Straw man argument

And UND is helping ensue NDSU comes to the Alerus sooner than they would have by agreein to this. Because no one knows the future the games could have been off the table for another ten years....but now it's gonna start again....and pretty neive to believe NDSU will neve set foot in the Alerus ever again in your lifetime....UND looks like the good guy right to the people of the state by agreeing to this and it will put a tremendous amount of pressure on the new NDSU AD moving forward to go to GF.

UND travelling to Fargo twice before a return date is set..Eastern Michigan playing at Florida and Michigan State...Weber State opening up at Arizona State...some folks around here are gonna have a heart attack at some point...

UND travelling to Fargo twice before a return date is set..Eastern Michigan playing at Florida and Michigan State...Weber State opening up at Arizona State...some folks around here are gonna have a heart attack at some point...

Honestly curious, do you have any examples of FCS teams signing a 2 game contract with both played in the same place?  Or even 2 FBS teams doing?  For a price below what other teams have got?  None of the ones you're citing are the same as what UND signed.  

It is what it is and Bubba is the one who decided it was worth it to sign the deal.  Just saying, I don't know of any others that are similar off the top of my head.

Which jersey are you wearing to the game, the home green or the stream yellow roadie?

Honestly curious, do you have any examples of FCS teams signing a 2 game contract with both played in the same place? Or even 2 FBS teams doing? For a price below what other teams have got? None of the ones you're citing are the same as what UND signed.

It is what it is and Bubba is the one who decided it was worth it to sign the deal. Just saying, I don't know of any others that are similar off the top of my head.

There was a quirk in the Big 10 schedule about 10-12 years ago where Michigan played at Minnesota two years in a row...but that wasn't because of one school's demands. I've already pointed out the unusual agreement Notre Dame made with Miami a couple of years ago where the Hurricanes and Irish set up a 2012 meeting in Chicago and a second game in South Bend in 2016.

Look, I get it, the company line is that NDSU should have scheduled UND in back-to-back years in Fargo and then Grand Forks. NDSU scheduling Weber State in that exact scenario while ignoring UND's request for a similar arrangement was done by design - as a big FU to UND. Be upset at Faison for putting his name on the contract...be upset at Bubba for wanting a game no matter what. It's not as if Thundar burst into the conference room and held a gun to Faison's head and insisted he sign the deal. Or maybe he did?

Does anyone know why the NCC did that? I thought maybe it was because of the Fargodome being built but the games were still played at Dacotah Field.

WE played YSU at home the last couple of years as well.  I gotta a question. Whats up with playing the same team in your conference twice in one year in the regular season?

.....all I can say is the arrogance of bissson nation needs to be knocked down a few pegs. This is no @$#%!!!! They actually have rubes who think they can beat Alabama. You can't make that stuff up. 

It's a creation of the media.  NDSU has been called the Alabama of the FCS.  I don't know of anyone who believes the Bison would beat Alabama.  

How is rescheduling the game against your biggest rival that all of the players want to play and 99% of the State residents want to see suddenly constitute "prostituting" ourselves out?

Two away and no home - what is so hard to understand?  Faison basically bent over for them.  Pathetic.

• Upvote 1

Two away and no home - what is so hard to understand? Faison basically bent over for them. Pathetic.

Bent over? Good god people, the games still need to be played. Just try to believe that UND can win the game, regardless of location. The Ag school trolls have really got into the heads of a lot of supposed UND fans...

Again, want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Making this deal gives UND that opportunity. Arguing over contract terms for another 5 years does not.

• Upvote 2

Bent over? Good god people, the games still need to be played. Just try to believe that UND can win the game, regardless of location. The Ag school trolls have really got into the heads of a lot of supposed UND fans...

Again, want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Making this deal gives UND that opportunity. Arguing over contract terms for another 5 years does not.

Two away games and no home games is a deliberate slap in the face of the Sioux, not a quirk of the schedule. 

Two away games and no home games is a deliberate slap in the face of the Sioux, not a quirk of the schedule.

Correct...But Bubba decided enough is enough and it's time to move forward. Good for him. That move alone shows more stones than was ever shown by his predecessor IMO.

• Upvote 1

Not sure what lousy business deals and obsession with the AC have to do with cajones.

Really?  "Business deals"?  If this is strictly a money issue UND comes out pretty good considering it's an hour bus trip south.

For all you "Fire Faison" and "UND got bent over" crowd...explain to me what cards is/was UND holding?  What leverage did/do they have in this whole process?  "Respect"?  "Weber State"? 

Another question...when that Saturday next September rolls around who has the most to gain when the clock reads 0:00?

I live in Fargo.  UND's FB program is seen as a complete joke by SU supports but now there is nothing but talk about "what happens if we lose" next September by those same people. 

Personally I am tired of the "ugly redheaded step child" treatment UND's FB program has got and is getting in this state.  Good for Bubba for taking a risk to change that.  You, Matt and Irish can all keep staring at your full size posters of Muss tacked to your bedroom ceiling. ;)

Carry on............

• Upvote 3

I think Irish is referring to the scheduling of both games in Fargo, when he says Faison bent over for NDSU...the actual playing of the games and whether UND can give them a game/beat them is a whole separate issue...
  • Upvote 2