SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of NCHC Playoffs

Siouxperfan7

Kind of knee jerk to this past year's upsets but the building and local hotels can hold plenty more and the more the merrier so why not make a change that gets more fans into town - make the Big 10 Tourny look like small potatoes.

• Upvote 2

One format includes all eight teams advancing to the Target Center for a FIVE-DAY tournament? If the goal is to turn a profit on post-season games, that is NOT the way to go about doing it. Yikes.

I'm picturing a Wednesday afternoon elimination game between Colorado College and Miami in my head right now...and the attendance is at less than 100.

From a fan perspective, I like the idea of having 6 teams make the tournament, with the play-in games on Thursday. After several years of games starting on Thursday at the Final Five, it was tough losing another day of hockey this year.

I like that one as well.

Not a fan of any change the moves a first round series off of campus. I would think that UND and the REA would tend to agree.

Having 6 teams makes it to MSP means no home playoff games unless you end the season in 5th or 6th place.

Having all 8 teams go to MSP means no home playoff games for anyone.

The league may make slightly more money having all the teams or 6 of the teams make it to the Target Center, but in the long run, I think the majority of schools would lose money eliminating the possibility of 2-3 extra home games per year. Granted, only half the teams get those games a year but even if you only host once ever 2-3 years, I think you'd still come up ahead compared to the slightly higher revenue the conference would generate with an increased field size at the Target Center.

While their run of hosting (and winning) first round playoff series won't last for ever, UND has had an extra 25 home games over the last 10 years because of the current format.

6 teams makes sense from an attendance standpoint. It would be impossible to not have either UND, UMD, or SCSU playing at least one game. And it would be likely that 2 or even all 3 would be there. That should ease attendance nightmares.

• Upvote 1

If the Big Ten and the NCHC could work something out and hold their tourneys at a single site and share revenue these leagues would have a lot better chance at a successful tourney.

As it is now good luck if the Sioux and Gophers aren't playing.

If the Big Ten and the NCHC could work something out and hold their tourneys at a single site and share revenue these leagues would have a lot better chance at a successful tourney.

Agreed. You didn't have to be Carnac the Magnificent to see these issues coming with the realignment.

True, but would the egos get in the way of that, and would the Big Ten demand a bigger cut? You now also run into the question again of who gets the night game. Wish they could rotate those type of concerns, because I enjoy watching good hockey regardless, and it is always fun to cheer against the gophers, and I'm sure Minnesota fans would get a kick cheering against the Sioux again. You be the mediator Sagard and get it done.

Honestly, I liked this year's format better than having a play-in game. Let's get those top 4 teams together, have 4 quality games, and crown a champion. I enjoyed the Final Five, but this is a new conference and trying to replicate that... well, I'd rather just move forward.

There's also a financial aspect for the fans. That play-in game, which I might not care much about, means the ticket package price increases. Going to Msp a day earlier means an extra day of vacation used, an extra night in the hotel, extra meals/entertainment in Msp, etc. That play-in could easily cost my family an extra $300+ (if I eat and play like this year's tourney) and I can only imagine what it does for a larger group. Are there cheaper options? Individual tickets? Sure, but those options may also make attending less appealing.

• Upvote 2

One format includes all eight teams advancing to the Target Center for a FIVE-DAY tournament? If the goal is to turn a profit on post-season games, that is NOT the way to go about doing it. Yikes.

I'm picturing a Wednesday afternoon elimination game between Colorado College and Miami in my head right now...and the attendance is at less than 100.

Yeah, don't think there are going to be too many package deals sold in that scenario. It would almost be like two separate tournaments, the one before all the fans come, and the one after.

The conference pays for travel for all teams for the conference tournament and the first round. By going to just two first round series you're saving money that can be used to bring more teams to Minneapolis which will help make more $$$.

I liked the Thursday start of the Final Five also. In fact, we scheduled the extra night in Minneapolis this year just for fun!

The NCHC could give the top 2 teams first-round byes, have the bottom six play best-of-three series, and then have a tourney format like the old Final Five with a single Thursday night play-in game.

From a fan perspective, I like the idea of having 6 teams make the tournament, with the play-in games on Thursday. After several years of games starting on Thursday at the Final Five, it was tough losing another day of hockey this year.

From a fan perspective I like that. I don't like it if my team has to play 3 games and then play in the NCAA's 5-6 days later.

The conference pays for travel for all teams for the conference tournament and the first round. By going to just two first round series you're saving money that can be used to bring more teams to Minneapolis which will help make more $$$.

Does the league get any proceeds from those first round games?

I think it's way too early to start panicking over the performance (or lack thereof) of the NCHC Tournament. I think after 5 years, we can make an honest assessment of how the tournament is doing and, if needed, make necessary changes.

I agree. Changing the format after year one is clearly a panic-button move if it goes thru. Wait for the Big 6 to admit its big success was actually an epic fail.

Devils advocate here...why would the NCHC want to partner up with the conference that led to the demise of the WCHA as we knew it? I'd prefer to see the NCHC join forces with the new WCHA for a Thursday-Saturday hockey bonanza at Target Center.

• Upvote 1

Devils advocate here...why would the NCHC want to partner up with the conference that led to the demise of the WCHA as we knew it? I'd prefer to see the NCHC join forces with the new WCHA for a Thursday-Saturday hockey bonanza at Target Center.

THAT would stick it in the face of the Big 6 (oops, I mean Big 10)! :devil:

The NCHC needs to have four more teams so that there can be a first round playoff on campus for the top six seeds, then six teams make the tournament. . . . . oh wait . . . . we had that and called it the WCHA Final Five. The P1G didn't like that it wasn't their's so they messed it all up.