SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of NCHC Playoffs

Siouxperfan7

I really don't see the benefit of adding Mankato. I acknowledge that it's a great program, but we already have two Minnesota teams. If we were to expand it should either be a d1 school, or a school that is in geographical proximity to Miami and Western Michigan. Planning for future opportunities, Mankato does nothing to make a start up FBS-type school want to join our conference.

Additionally, I would a assume that Mankato is important for the stability of the WCHA, and what is good for the stability of the WCHA is good for us.

As the resident Maverick fan, I'm not sure the Kato would benefit from joining the NCHC in present format. MSU really wasn't hurt in attendance as much as I thought (less than 200 per game). Admittedly, there were no "premium" games that carried a higher price tag, so revenues had to have gone down a bit. From a competitive standpoint, MSU is in a good position in the WCHA. I would love to see some of our traditional rivals (for lack of a better word), but we've got UMD, UNO and MN on the schedule this year and I've heard rumblings of negotiations with UND, SCSU and WI. It's not like we're in a horrible position from a scheduling standpoint. Realistically, college hockey right now is more about reducing expenses than it is raising revenues. Thus, all of our old conference mates NEED to schedule us to keep those expenses down. For both parties, standing pat might be the best option for a bit.

That being said, I'm fully confident that the conference shifting isn't over. I don't know if that means that MSU and BSU moves. I don't know if that means that Ferris and BGSU moves. Those are the most likely candidates. Either scenario would be pretty tough for the rest of the WCHA teams. I won't say disasterous, but it sure would make things even more perilous for the remaining teams. If you are worried about the strength of college hockey as a whole, my thought is that the conferences better stay the same OR there needs to be a scenario where the NCHC gains teams, but they also give up a couple of teams. I don't think the WCHA can survive just having teams leave and only having at 8 team league. To me that could carry some pretty ugly consequences.

As the resident Maverick fan, I'm not sure the Kato would benefit from joining the NCHC in present format. MSU really wasn't hurt in attendance as much as I thought (less than 200 per game). Admittedly, there were no "premium" games that carried a higher price tag, so revenues had to have gone down a bit. From a competitive standpoint, MSU is in a good position in the WCHA. I would love to see some of our traditional rivals (for lack of a better word), but we've got UMD, UNO and MN on the schedule this year and I've heard rumblings of negotiations with UND, SCSU and WI. It's not like we're in a horrible position from a scheduling standpoint. Realistically, college hockey right now is more about reducing expenses than it is raising revenues. Thus, all of our old conference mates NEED to schedule us to keep those expenses down. For both parties, standing pat might be the best option for a bit.

I agree, bale31. Minnesota State just won its first-ever Broadmoor Trophy is what was an entertaining WCHA "Final Five" in Grand Rapids. They're in a great position (simply due to their geographic location) to play non-conference games against St Cloud, Duluth, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and perhaps even Michigan or Michigan State. I'd be surprised as well if they were suddenly looking at jumping ship to the NCHC, particularly after what was arguably the best season of Maverick hockey ever.

I agree, bale31. Minnesota State just won its first-ever Broadmoor Trophy is what was an entertaining WCHA "Final Five" in Grand Rapids. They're in a great position (simply due to their geographic location) to play non-conference games against St Cloud, Duluth, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and perhaps even Michigan or Michigan State. I'd be surprised as well if they were suddenly looking at jumping ship to the NCHC, particularly after what was arguably the best season of Maverick hockey ever.

I agree with you guys, and that's another reason why I don't want Mankato in the NCHC. They are my favorite team in the WCHA and I think they will be able to do great things. I know a lot of people are worried about the schools in the WCHA, but the programs that rise to the top will finally have a chance to develop a strong winning tradition, and I'm excited for them.

What teams would you like to see added thru expansion? Are you thinking that poaching the WCHA for teams like Minnesota State and Ferris State would be a good idea?

Personally, I think the NCHC is a little heavy on former WCHA teams and would have liked to see a little more former CCHA flavor added when the recipe for a new conference was put together.

I don't think there's any obvious candidate after Notre Dame went east - nothing wrong with waiting until another team or two proves itself as a traditional power before making invitations. Eight teams is a respectable conference size, and I'd rather be a good eight team conference than a ten team conference with a couple perennial underdogs who never have the resources to be competitive.

• Upvote 1

I don't think there's any obvious candidate after Notre Dame went east - nothing wrong with waiting until another team or two proves itself as a traditional power before making invitations. Eight teams is a respectable conference size, and I'd rather be a good eight team conference than a ten team conference with a couple perennial underdogs who never have the resources to be competitive.

Bingo! No reason to fix something that isn't broken. Bowling Green could work for Western Michigan and Miami, since they are worried about travel, but that't it until a bigger school adds hockey.