SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

Loved Ortega's first shift Friday when he tried going around Stecher and ended up on his arse. Then after the scrum at the end of the Saturday game he headed to the bench and into the locker room, skipping the hand shake line.

He skipped the handshake line? Immature. Weak. Or dare I say ... 

Ortega: green and mild ...

Green-Mild-8oz-GLASS-BOTTLE_WS198.4x400.

• Upvote 1

Agree, but I really hope he stays for another year or two...selfishly, I'll admit. His goal against Wisconsin on Saturday night was a killer play as well. He's definitely taken a step in confidence in addition to his quickness.

Agree, but I really hope he stays for another year or two...selfishly, I'll admit. His goal against Wisconsin on Saturday night was a killer play as well. He's definitely taken a step in confidence in addition to his quickness.

I'll guess he stays for at least his junior year. 

His development just goes to show how well UND develops its players physically, mentally & emotionally for the next level. 

A lot of good adjectives to describe his on-ice play, esp. dynamic. Dynamic as in able to turn the ordinary into the extraordinary..

His development just goes to show how well UND develops its players physically, mentally & emotionally for the next level. 

A lot of good adjectives to describe his on-ice play, esp. dynamic. Dynamic as in able to turn the ordinary into the extraordinary..

"Mind blown"

When you look at the word "extraordinary", it almost seems like it would mean very, very ordinary.

Dictionary.com lists it as beyond ordinary, remarkable, exceptional in character.

All the Sioux players have talent, but Stecher stands out & above most of his high-caliber teammates, I think..

Dictionary.com lists it as beyond ordinary, remarkable, exceptional in character.

All the Sioux players have talent, but Stecher stands out & above most of his high-caliber teammates, I think..

Haha yeah I know what it means. I just for some reason felt it was necessary to put that.

Haha yeah I know what it means. I just for some reason felt it was necessary to put that.

I know, I just like clarifying things to an unnecessary degree.

If Stecher is this good now, imagine down-the-road. I mean, he hasn't even hit his ceiling yet & you can see this when he plays, the potential for even more growth. You look at some players & you can tell that they've maxed out on their abilities & that they've settled comfortably into their roles on the team. Not Stecher. It seems like he's still discovering new ways of making himself an even better player. Like, "Hmm, I noticed that that forward always dips his head when he tries to go wide left on me, next time he does that I'll step up for a poke check & try an odd man rush the other way." Just small stuff like that. Plus his confidence is just as high as his physical abilities, an outlook a player needs to be considered great.

One thing that seems to have improved a lot this year is our ability to maintain possession along the boards and come out with the puck. Parks is a beast, but others have been doing this very well too. The cycling is better as a result. Wondering if it's just my imagination or others have seen this.

I wonder if the fans that had been calling for Tim Whitehead to be fired are wishing they had kept him.

I doubt it. Rebuilding takes some time. I'm not sure what the pollsters were thinking ranking Maine that high.

Update on Tim Whitehead:

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/06/20/sports/former-umaine-hockey-coach-whitehead-takes-position-at-new-hampshire-prep-school/

I doubt it. Rebuilding takes some time. I'm not sure what the pollsters were thinking ranking Maine that high.

Update on Tim Whitehead:

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/06/20/sports/former-umaine-hockey-coach-whitehead-takes-position-at-new-hampshire-prep-school/

This season looks to be a big drop-off from last year. About this time last year Maine was 7-6-0, this year 3-12-1. After finishing 16-15-4 you'd expect Maine to improve from last year, right now I don't see Maine finishing above .500.

Well, considering we are off for several weeks after this weekend's series @ Denver, this might work out okay.

I guess about what I was expecting as well. It certainly could have been way worse. Let's say best case scenario back Jan 30th at UNO and if not then we have a week off before Denver at home on Feb 13-14. Let's just hope he can get back to the level he has been playing at all year. Here's to hoping Mattson can step up and contribute now.

I'm guessing Hak was referencing that his injury is a 6-8 week injury (as of the date of the injury occurring) rather than 6-8 weeks from today.  So a great scenario would be getting him back against Niagra however it might be more likely against UNO.