SiouxSports.com Forum

Phillips Leaves NDSU for Ohio U.

MoSiouxFan

Trying not to sound more clueless than I usually do but where does Ohio get the money to pay that type of salary for coaches? TV? Alumni? Attendance?

A lot like why Wyoming could afford to pay Bohl a small fortune. Ohio's athletic subsidy(The sum of students fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money) is over $20 million.

A lot like why Wyoming could afford to pay Bohl a small fortune. Ohio's athletic subsidy(The sum of students fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money) is over $20 million.

You got that right.

It's time for the North Dakota universities athletic departments to wake up to reality. You want D-I, you pay D-I salaries. Even at that, you will still be a farm team for the big boys of D-I.

All I've got to say is Saul Phillips is a heckuva better coach than Brian Jones. And I like seeing NDSU have to hire a new guy - hopefully it hurts their program. Losing both Bohl and Phillips can only hurt Ag school athletics, which makes me happy.

This^

All I've got to say is Saul Phillips is a heckuva better coach than Brian Jones. And I like seeing NDSU have to hire a new guy - hopefully it hurts their program. Losing both Bohl and Phillips can only hurt Ag school athletics, which makes me happy.

You can hope. But Jones/Schwiegert at UND help NDSU athletics.

You can hope. But Jones/Schwiegert at UND help NDSU athletics.

The jury on Jones is still out for me but he is 2-2 against Saul and has won the two most recent recruiting battles against NDSU that I'm aware of. Not sure how you can already have an opinion on Bubba, but whatever floats your boat.

The last time they had to hire a football coach, and the last time they had to hire a basketball coach it doesn't seem like it really hurt their program.

As a North Dakota fan, I guess it really doesn't affect me all that much.

Good luck to UND in the Frozen Four.

The jury on Jones is still out for me but he is 2-2 against Saul and has won the two most recent recruiting battles against NDSU that I'm aware of. Not sure how you can already have an opinion on Bubba, but whatever floats your boat.

Just don't see Bubba relating well to an 18 year old kid. Maybe 10-15 years ago it would have been different. He seemed to have more fire back then. Maybe he will prove me wrong. He just seems to have that "aw shucks I'm just an old farm boy" attitude. He'd be a better D2 head coach than D1 head coach. You can win with different types of players at D2 than you can at D1.

Just don't see Bubba relating well to an 18 year old kid. Maybe 10-15 years ago it would have been different. He seemed to have more fire back then. Maybe he will prove me wrong. He just seems to have that "aw shucks I'm just an old farm boy" attitude. He'd be a better D2 head coach than D1 head coach. You can win with different types of players at D2 than you can at D1.

I have seen him speak twice since he was hired and also spoke to a current player about him. It is hard to imagine anyone questioning his fire based on what i have seen and heard. He may or may not have other shortcomings but a lack of fire and passion are not among them.

The last time they had to hire a football coach, and the last time they had to hire a basketball coach it doesn't seem like it really hurt their program.

As a North Dakota fan, I guess it really doesn't affect me all that much.

Really? That surprises me.

So everytime NDSU hires a coach, the coach will be a future FBS or major program head coach? You're really giving Gene Taylor a lot of credit I guess.

This "ignoring NDSU" thing is a joke. If you're a UND supporter and/or North Dakota resident, it's nearly impossible to just "not care" what NDSU does.

• Upvote 2

Early candidate for B.S. statement of the year right here.

Bubba has the potential to a better head coach then Klieman. He's already made a splash in recruiting so I don't know what you're talking about. Good luck handling the loses this season.

I have heard from a former player (played when Bubba was coaching here in the early 2000's), that the players are responding well to Bubba. Says the culture is already very different from what it has been the last 7-8 years, in a positive way. From the sound of it, the majority of players are enjoying the change of pace. Whether or not that translates to on-field success, we shall see in due time.

So everytime NDSU hires a coach, the coach will be a future FBS or major program head coach? You're really giving Gene Taylor a lot of credit I guess.

I don't believe I ever said that.

I've just never understood how or why some fans think FU is doomed to fail whenever they lose a coach. They invest in their athletic programs and they have a history of success in several areas, so I think it is unlikely they will fall off the face of the Earth whenever a coach leaves. History doesn't suggest that.

This "ignoring NDSU" thing is a joke. If you're a UND supporter and/or North Dakota resident, it's nearly impossible to just "not care" what NDSU does.

I guess I just don't relate with the theory that for North Dakota to succeed, then FU must fail. Maybe I have higher standards than some, but I don't subscribe to the idea that UND can only do well in the years that NDSU struggles. Perhaps I am in the minority, but others are free to feel otherwise.

The media love NDSU coaches because they actually have personalities and are a good interview. Richman (who I believe will be the next coach), will also be a media favorite because he is funny, engaging and won't just give the standard coach speak. I don't know any of these coaches personally, but from their public persona, would much rather go have a beer and talk to Phillips, Miles or Richman than Jones or Hakstol.

NDSU coaches could not lick clean Hakstol's cup.

I always had the impression that for the most part the players liked Coach Jones. I might of been wrong though. I had heard Hooker might of been an important part in getting Shanks to come to UND. That gave me the impression that Hooker likes it here or he wouldn't of been encouraging friends to come here too. I seem to be getting mixed signals. What is the truth?