SiouxSports.com Forum

Phillips Leaves NDSU for Ohio U.

MoSiouxFan

If I was a fan of a team that will be counting heavily on a VERY overated Hooker and a UMKC castoff in Tyler as their starting backcourt, I would be worried about my own team. Neither of them has any ability to create offense for themselves, and I would be surprised if they get any better with that coaching staff.

As far as players with only D2 offers, I think NDSU has done fairly well with Woodside, Winkleman, Braun, etc. Some coaching staff develop talent, while others let their players regress.

Odd that NDSU very badly wanted Hooker just a year ago. Not sure how much I'd read into numbers of a true freshman playing in a senior dominated rotation. He looked pretty good when he was called on. Definitely more than Dupree, who NDSU will be counting on next year.

Tyler had decent numbers in a terrible offense at UMKC, I think he'll be just fine. Not sure where you get the castoff part, he very much left on his own terms.

Odd that NDSU very badly wanted Hooker just a year ago. Not sure how much I'd read into numbers of a true freshman playing in a senior dominated rotation. He looked pretty good when he was called on. Definitely more than Dupree, who NDSU will be counting on next year.

Tyler had decent numbers in a terrible offense at UMKC, I think he'll be just fine. Not sure where you get the castoff part, he very much left on his own terms.

NDSU did want Hooker. Recruiting is an inexact science. I for one am glad they didn't get him. I have seen Tyler play in person several times. If you leave him wide open he can hit a shot, but he can't create for himself or others. I will take Alexander and Brown over those 2 any day. We will have to see about Dupree, they didn't need him last year with the guards they had. Athletically, he is better than either of UND's guards.

NDSU did want Hooker. Recruiting is an inexact science. I for one am glad they didn't get him. I have seen Tyler play in person several times. If you leave him wide open he can hit a shot, but he can't create for himself or others. I will take Alexander and Brown over those 2 any day. We will have to see about Dupree, they didn't need him last year with the guards they had. Athletically, he is better than either of UND's guards.

So who wins next year? I wouldn't be overconfident in either team.

If I was a fan of a team that will be counting heavily on a VERY overated Hooker and a UMKC castoff in Tyler as their starting backcourt, I would be worried about my own team. Neither of them has any ability to create offense for themselves, and I would be surprised if they get any better with that coaching staff.

As far as players with only D2 offers, I think NDSU has done fairly well with Woodside, Winkleman, Braun, etc. Some coaching staff develop talent, while others let their players regress.

Estan Tyler is a good player. He should be better with better players around him than there was in UMKC