SiouxSports.com Forum

Phillips Leaves NDSU for Ohio U.

MoSiouxFan

Happy for Saul. Seems like about the nicest man in the world. If he is...I have no way of knowing.

All I know...NDSU has had two head coaches get stolen in basketball. One is now a B1G coach of the year....the other is hopefully on his way up. Should make NDSU a relatively attractive job. Hope he does well at Ohio.

hahaha! Saul played up his hokey "real/honest" coach persona to a T in the NCAA tourney and it payed off! GOOD FOR HIM!

He pretend-cried on national TV and got a new job and decided to abandon his basketball "FAMILY" (who he never really gave a !@#$ about) PRONTO!

#BUTTtheywonagameHEY!

(losers)

Happy for Saul. Seems like about the nicest man in the world. If he is...I have no way of knowing.

All I know...NDSU has had two head coaches get stolen in basketball. One is now a B1G coach of the year....the other is hopefully on his way up. Should make NDSU a relatively attractive job. Hope he does well at Ohio.

REALLY? until this year he didn't do sh*t for you guys...now you're all teary about losing him? HIRE BRIAN JONES! please?

REALLY? until this year he didn't do sh*t for you guys...now you're all teary about losing him? HIRE BRIAN JONES! please?

He has been to the dance twice in 6 years...not too shabby. Granted one was not "his team." He did recruit this bunch that were a damn fun team the past 4 years. Brian Jones wouldn't know what to do with an NDSU coaching salary ;)

We'll find someone. I'll miss Saul. Seemed like a genuine guy. Never will forget him over the years showing raw emotion like a college kid.

Now the media will have to find someone else's butt to kiss. Especially Mike McFeely of KFGO; the man crush he had on Phillips was annoying to say the least.

The media love NDSU coaches because they actually have personalities and are a good interview. Richman (who I believe will be the next coach), will also be a media favorite because he is funny, engaging and won't just give the standard coach speak. I don't know any of these coaches personally, but from their public persona, would much rather go have a beer and talk to Phillips, Miles or Richman than Jones or Hakstol.

Happy for Saul, seems like a good guy, and a good coach. However, I do find it interesting how just a year ago (and especially after their 20 pt loss to UND this year), people were calling for him to be fired. I don't follow SU very closely, but it seems to me that Saul has been rather inconsistent at SU. From losing to MSUM in the BSA, to beating Oklahoma in the tournament, it just seems like you never know what you will get from his teams. He obviously did great things at SU, but he is replaceable, in my opinion.

Its a good move. Last two Ohio coaches went to head jobs in the Big Ten and ACC respectively. Assuming Saul's long term goal is to succeed Bo Ryan, its makes perfect sense.

Will see.. When you are at best 3rd fiddle to Ohio St. and Cincinnati in the state... good move is a stretch. Saul to WI IMO is even more of a stretch.

Will see.. When you are at best 3rd fiddle to Ohio St. and Cincinnati in the state... good move is a stretch. Saul to WI IMO is even more of a stretch.

It will definitely be a new world for Saul....Ohio State, Cincy, Xavier, Dayton and Akron all have great or good programs. Lots of competition in that state.