SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hockey: "It's Always A Home Game"

Dave Berger

Wow. Those rooms are way cheaper than they were with the Final 5 too. It will be only goopher fans in the building Xcel this weekend, as none of the other teams have fan bases that travel (if they have fan bases at all).

UW should be well represented.

Wow. Those rooms are way cheaper than they were with the Final 5 too. It will be only goopher fans in the building Xcel this weekend, as none of the other teams have fan bases that travel (if they have fan bases at all).

I decided to go early and attend Thursday evenings Big Ten game at the X. Someone from town gave me tickets to the Thursday games. It is my intention to go thursday evenings game wearing one of my FIGHTING SIOUX jerseys. I wonder if there will be many Sioux fans that will also do this just because they enjoy watching hockey. I also booked a room in St Paul for Thursday and had no trouble getting a room at the hotel that I used to stay at for the Final 5. I could have stayed at either one one the St Paul downtown Holiday Inns.

They've always brought a decent amount of fans but they used to bring a lot more before their basketball program got good.

If by a decent amount, you mean 100-150, then yes. And yes they did used to bring more fans. They used to be fun to watch play too.

They've always brought a decent amount of fans but they used to bring a lot more before their basketball program got good.

I think the 1998 Final Five had TREMENDOUS representation from Badger fans...that's the last one I can recall where the arena was a sea of red. Of course, that arena was the Bradley Center in Milwaukee...

Opposing teams fans often do assume that we all travel from GF. I was talking to a DU fan at the series in Denver this year and he eventually did ask me how my travel was and I simply replied that I have lived in Colorado for 5 years.

UND fans travel better than other teams but we do live in a lot of these places and when UND comes to town I tend to drop or turn down other plans and I know I am not alone in this line of thinking.

Agree that it's a combo of both. There are a lot of UND alumni and fans in Colorado, but people travel to the games there too. There's also a lot of CC alumni in the Springs and Denver metro area, but DU didn't need to implement a ticket policy for them...

Your story from the DU series reminded me of one from the CC series last year. After UND pulled an amazing comeback to win it overtime, the Sioux fans were all cheering as we exited the building. A drunk CC fan yelled, "At least I don't have to go back to North Dakota!!" to which a Sioux fan replied, "I live here, you *****!!!"

If by a decent amount, you mean 100-150, then yes. And yes they did used to bring more fans. They used to be fun to watch play too.

Come on, they are ranked #5 in the nation. Playing at the finest hockey venue in the nation in a neighboring state. You can expect at least 400. Right 'ucci?

• Upvote 1

I think the 1998 Final Five had TREMENDOUS representation from Badger fans...that's the last one I can recall where the arena was a sea of red. Of course, that arena was the Bradley Center in Milwaukee...

Yup...that was where my hatred for all things red began...:)

I believe those are the sections that were originally chosen by the students. I also believe there was discussions in the first few offseasons about the student section moving, but the agreement every time was that they stayed where they currently are.

The students were supposed to originally have the 4 bottom side sections and only 2 on the upper deck. Not sure why it was changed, but had nothing to do with what the students picked.

Wasn't there an article or post about a season ticket holder who hasn't missed a home game in a really long time......he lives in Texas? I don't think 'Sioux fans travel well' means they travel from GF. I believe it means they travel from where ever to where ever the team plays. In the past 7 years, I've traveled from 8 different states to go watch the Sioux play.

*BTW, they haven't caught me yet. :whistling: *

• Upvote 4

Everyone's been complaining about lack of fan participation and you complain about what little fan participation there is? The "Thank You" is a tradition throughout college hockey.

Great point. Ever notice at the Ralph if you cheer/yell/chant anything....if it's not after a goal....you will get weird looks. Now that won't be the case tomorrow night in Minneapolis. Sorry but I'd rather watch home games on tv and attend away games in person. And I live less than 20 minutes from grand forks.

The students were supposed to originally have the 4 bottom side sections and only 2 on the upper deck. Not sure why it was changed, but had nothing to do with what the students picked.

That'$ an intere$ting que$tion. I to wonder why the $ize of lower bowl $tudent $ection wa$ cut in half. That'$ a my$tery!! :)

You don't think they'd be in St. Paul watching the Gophers??

I'm sure most will be. But I won't be shocked to run into a number of gopher fans at the frozen faceoff. Heck I'm going with a group of eight and one in my group is a gopher fan. She's attending the frozen faceoff instead of going to the xcel.

Interesting. I guess I'm not familiar with the original talks on seat locations, but know people who worked with the REA the first couple of offseasons on it and that is what was relayed to me.

I still have to laugh that the students think it is a great thing to copy the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A chant after the school song. Never have liked their spelling lesson, and like copying another schools dumb chant even less.

Can't stand that either. Copying anything from UM is a bad idea.

I hate the spelling lessons too, but unfortunately it appears they aren't allowed to chant anything else for fear of hurting people's feelings.

Don't buy that at all. Kids are young, have time and energy and creative abilities. Figure it out. Besides, the main thing is noise anyway.

Interesting. I guess I'm not familiar with the original talks on seat locations, but know people who worked with the REA the first couple of offseasons on it and that is what was relayed to me.

I know that the students went to Buning one of the years while he was there to ask about moving. Basically, we were told that center ice was the best place for students.

Can't stand that either. Copying anything from UM is a bad idea.

Don't buy that at all. Kids are young, have time and energy and creative abilities. Figure it out. Besides, the main thing is noise anyway.

Yes, but now students have the "yell leaders" to lead them and I think that a lot of them are afraid that if they yell or try to start their own cheers...they will be kicked out. Someone in the band told me at one point that they were told if the students started a Sioux cheer or the S.E.X. cheer to play until the students were drowned out.

Yes, but now students have the "yell leaders" to lead them and I think that a lot of them are afraid that if they yell or try to start their own cheers...they will be kicked out. Someone in the band told me at one point that they were told if the students started a Sioux cheer or the S.E.X. cheer to play until the students were drowned out.

1) No Yell Leader in hockey

2) No Band member has even tried to drown them out. Not once

"yell leaders"? Is that the current name for "political commisar"? Yikes.