SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hockey: "It's Always A Home Game"

Dave Berger

Sorry, ericpnelson, if the best that UND students can do is chant "F*** the Gophers" loud enough to be CLEARLY heard on my TV set, I'm all in favor of students getting tossed. The "Kyle Rau beats seals" sign, however, brilliant.

I think that's kinda cherry picking, and it falsely implies that was the only thing yelled that night. It's an extreme example, which hasn't been repeated. It was a rivalry game, in which we gave Kangas the business, school wasn't in so alcohol was allowed in the student section, it was a perfect storm. I'm just saying that eventually students stop trying as hard to cheer if the loudspeakers or band plays over you anytime they worry you'll do something that will cause a 4 year old to ask their parents a difficult question. I'm not expressing an opinion on where the balance should be, it's just a reality where both sides of that coin doesn't exist together.

• Upvote 3

I still have to laugh that the students think it is a great thing to copy the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A chant after the school song. Never have liked their spelling lesson, and like copying another schools dumb chant even less.

I still have to laugh that the students think it is a great thing to copy the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A chant after the school song. Never have liked their spelling lesson, and like copying another schools dumb chant even less.

You mean when they spell out Minny-donuts? Or spell out Minny-scrotum?

I didn't know they did that, but I also hate the "Always were/That's debatable" cheers after power plays. Hated it when I went to school at U of M, and really hated hearing UND fans saying it the last few years. Terrible.

Agree on the spelling chants save for MTU fans spelling out "technological". Pure awesomeness.

I didn't know they did that, but I also hate the "Always were/That's debatable" cheers after power plays. Hated it when I went to school at U of M, and really hated hearing UND fans saying it the last few years. Terrible.

I heard a guy in a random section scream "Beat team ever!" after every penalty kill. I loved every second of it.

Man, I couldn't agree more. These bug me so much. They're so dumb. Sorry if I'm being an old crabbypants, but they are SO DUMB. Same with the "Thank you" and "You're welcome" exchange when Looker announces that there's 1 minute left in the 3rd period. And with the standing until the first whistle. Just dumb. Leave that crap to basketball.

• Upvote 1

I didn't really notice it until the 2006 west regional when I heard gopher fans saying it during the holy cross game and that following season I started to hear UND fans do it.

Man, I couldn't agree more. These bug me so much. They're so dumb. Sorry if I'm being an old crabbypants, but they are SO DUMB. Same with the "Thank you" and "You're welcome" exchange when Looker announces that there's 1 minute left in the 3rd period. And with the standing until the first whistle. Just dumb. Leave that crap to basketball.

Everyone's been complaining about lack of fan participation and you complain about what little fan participation there is? The "Thank You" is a tradition throughout college hockey.
  • Upvote 3

I didn't really notice it until the 2006 west regional when I heard gopher fans saying it during the holy cross game and that following season I started to hear UND fans do it.

That's been around at GF when the new ralph opened. That's when I started school

I'm sure I'm in the minority but the "Sioux Yeah Yeah" thing is dumb and embarrassing.

Dislike x 100. '97 Frozen Four reception at the hotel after the win over BU...the players walk in...one guy blurts out "SIOUX YEA YEA" and the hundreds of fans crammed into the welcoming room all replied back "YEA SIOUX SIOUX". The players were grinning ear to ear...gave Peter Armbrust a high five...yea...the era before knuckle bumps.

• Upvote 4

The positioning of the student section may have been one of the biggest flaws that the Ralph ever did. In the old Ralph, the student section was half of the arena. The folks at the new Ralph wanted to make sure the students still had good seats for games, so they game them center ice seats in the two middle sections (as well as the upper deck on the west side). I am not sure why they never thought about students standing and blocking the season ticket holsers in sections 107 and 110, and the suites. The biggest problem is that there is no way they are going to move them. The people at the ends love their seats and aren't going to give them up to go to center ice. Because of this, it is going to be hard for students to make a real impact on the game.

The positioning of the student section may have been one of the biggest flaws that the Ralph ever did. In the old Ralph, the student section was half of the arena. The folks at the new Ralph wanted to make sure the students still had good seats for games, so they game them center ice seats in the two middle sections (as well as the upper deck on the west side). I am not sure why they never thought about students standing and blocking the season ticket holsers in sections 107 and 110, and the suites. The biggest problem is that there is no way they are going to move them. The people at the ends love their seats and aren't going to give them up to go to center ice. Because of this, it is going to be hard for students to make a real impact on the game.

I believe those are the sections that were originally chosen by the students. I also believe there was discussions in the first few offseasons about the student section moving, but the agreement every time was that they stayed where they currently are.

I'm sure if the REA wants to make changes to seating, they aren't going to ask if they can!

If they move the student section they will tell people where their new seat is.

I doubt this would happen anyway. Whoever they bother on the sides there will be same types anywhere else.

Everyone's been complaining about lack of fan participation and you complain about what little fan participation there is? The "Thank You" is a tradition throughout college hockey.

And I agree that there is a lack of atmosphere at the Ralph. I long for the good old days of the old Ralph, and completely agree with what others have said about the new Ralph being too corporate, people more worried about being seen and drinking $8 beers while on their cell phones all night. That doesn't mean that these dumbass "cheers" like "Always were", "That's debatable", "Thank you, You're Welcome" make it any better! They are DUMB DUMB DUMB. A tradition throughout college hockey, huh?! Time to put some traditions out to pasture then, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I'm not annoyed by the "Thank You" as much as I am the "You're Welcome". It's funny every now and then, but when it's every game, or when you know when he is or isn't going to respond, the novelty is gone.

One time we did it he said Sioux Yeah Yeah. That was awesome!

I agree that there are a lot of fans in the metro area, but they usually don't get hotel rooms. I looked on-line for rooms for this weekend around the X & the Holiday Inn still has rooms available for $169 a night, along with the Crown Plaza. I have been going to the Final 5 for the last 9 years & I have never heard of any rooms available the week of the tournament. I am willing to be that you can't get a room around the Target Center this weekend. Just saying.

On a side note, my gopher friend contacted me this week to see if we will be going to the games. I told him yes. He said that they would be at the Target Center as well because they weren't going to support the Big 10. His group are gopher & badger fans. It will be interesting to see how many fans are at the X this weekend.

On a side note, my gopher friend contacted me this week to see if we will be going to the games. I told him yes. He said that they would be at the Target Center as well because they weren't going to support the Big 10. His group are gopher & badger fans. It will be interesting to see how many fans are at the X this weekend.

:/ My friends and I were looking forward to not having to deal with Gopher and Badger fans.

• Upvote 1

I agree that there are a lot of fans in the metro area, but they usually don't get hotel rooms. I looked on-line for rooms for this weekend around the X & the Holiday Inn still has rooms available for $169 a night, along with the Crown Plaza. I have been going to the Final 5 for the last 9 years & I have never heard of any rooms available the week of the tournament. I am willing to be that you can't get a room around the Target Center this weekend. Just saying.

There are still a ton of rooms available downtown Minneapolis, including near the Target Center. Difference is, there is a significantly larger amount of hotel rooms in Minneapolis than there are in St. Paul.

But agree on rooms in St. Paul. During the Final 5 you had to book them well in advance to be anywhere near the Xcel.

Wow. Those rooms are way cheaper than they were with the Final 5 too. It will be only goopher fans in the Xcel building this weekend, as none of the other teams have fan bases that travel (if they have fan bases at all).

• Upvote 1