SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

So far we have commitments from  recruits who were originally from 11 different states (North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Florida, Michigan, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, California, North Carolina and Alabama).   We also have recruits from Canada and Sweden.  Our coaching staff is really working hard.  Hopefully it will pay off.  Fun times ahead.   No Wisconsin though.

If someone can recall the year where the coaches or fans of either UND or the ac got up and said "holy hell, this recruiting season was a disaster...we missed on most every guy we targeted", the bar tab is on me.

Who cares ... this stuff gives everyone something to follow and have fun with. Nobody is saying this will make us champions, but its fun to look at the potential.

• Upvote 3

If someone can recall the year where the coaches or fans of either UND or the ac got up and said "holy hell, this recruiting season was a disaster...we missed on most every guy we targeted", the bar tab is on me.

I think we all remember a QB with the last name of Mertens from EGF.  NDSU got him and people on this forum were all up in arms that we didn't recruit him harder.  Well, Mertens turned into an interception machine in Fargo and didn't amount to what people were thinking he would.  Recruiting is an inexact science at best and a total crapshoot at worst, although I do think Bubba and his staff have a better handle on it than the previous regime did.

I think we all remember a QB with the last name of Mertens from EGF. NDSU got him and people on this forum were all up in arms that we didn't recruit him harder. Well, Mertens turned into an interception machine in Fargo and didn't amount to what people were thinking he would. Recruiting is an inexact science at best and a total crapshoot at worst, although I do think Bubba and his staff have a better handle on it than the previous regime did.

Recruiting is certainly an inexact science. The only ways around that, or to be a consistently good recruiting program, is to recruit the top local prospects year in and year out. That's the only way to nearly guarantee the majority of the class will stick it out and participate their entire eligibility. Attrition kills recruiting and ultimately football programs.

When a lack of local recruiting and attrition hits home, it's not good news. Prime examples include Brewster/Minnesota and Mussman/UND.

Recruiting is certainly an inexact science. The only ways around that, or to be a consistently good recruiting program, is to recruit the top local prospects year in and year out. That's the only way to nearly guarantee the majority of the class will stick it out and participate their entire eligibility. Attrition kills recruiting and ultimately football programs.

When a lack of local recruiting and attrition hits home, it's not good news. Prime examples include Brewster/Minnesota and Mussman/UND.

The point of my post was that at the end of the day, recruiting is celebrated every year no matter what happens.  Coaches and fans will rip their team on the field and in the media when they stink, but the one area they don't deal in brutal honesty is on signing day.  Your prime example is exhibit A. The daggers don't come out until after it becomes evident that the recruits can't win.

Not a complaint, just the nature of recruiting.

The point of my post was that at the end of the day, recruiting is celebrated every year no matter what happens. Coaches and fans will rip their team on the field and in the media when they stink, but the one area they don't deal in brutal honesty is on signing day. Your prime example is exhibit A. The daggers don't come out until after it becomes evident that the recruits can't win.

The main thing to me is that the class contains most if not all positions and possesses local recruits. The rest of the grading, like you mentioned, is wait and see.

I'm happy to see Bubba has addressed nearly all positions and many recruits are local. With those two points, I'm fairly pleased with this class given how early it is. Won't know true nature of class for a couple years.

The point of my post was that at the end of the day, recruiting is celebrated every year no matter what happens.  Coaches and fans will rip their team on the field and in the media when they stink, but the one area they don't deal in brutal honesty is on signing day.  Your prime example is exhibit A. The daggers don't come out until after it becomes evident that the recruits can't win.

One recruiting scenario where it might be difficult to portray it as a cause for celebration is when your program is reduced to having to poach verbal commits from a lower-division program or programs in the last two weeks before signing day just to fill out a class. This is purely a hypothetical, mind you.  :whistling:

• Upvote 4

One recruiting scenario where it might be difficult to portray it as a cause for celebration is when your program is reduced to having to poach verbal commits from a lower-division program or programs in the last two weeks before signing day just to fill out a class. This is purely a hypothetical, mind you.  :whistling:

Our class is pretty full how about yours?