SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

New offer per SFI....

I know it is a highlight film, but I really like how he squares up and takes on running backs, looks like he has no issues tackling.  Also seems to be good at going up and getting the ball rather than letting it come down.  Someone with a little more technical knowledge can probably offer a better assessment on his coverage skills.

So what's the word on these supposed FBS transfers we're supposed to be getting? When do we find out more? 

Transfers don't excite me at all.   I'd rather get them out of high school and besides, it certainly hasn't been working out for the basketball team.   Bubba has free reign on rebuilding over a couple years, do it right.

Transfers don't excite me at all.   I'd rather get them out of high school and besides, it certainly hasn't been working out for the basketball team.   Bubba has free reign on rebuilding over a couple years, do it right.

I think we need to bring in a couple transfers for a number of reasons-

1. if the opportunity for immediate help is there, you go after it.  The previous staff did a poor job recruiting at the safety and OL positions and we don't have the depth we need to compete there next season.  I have no problem bringing in a 20 year old instead of a 18 year old to attempt to help fill those positions.
  2. We need to space out scholorships.  We can't make a habbit of bringing in the max of 30 new bodies every year and can't have two classes in a row that have 30 freshmen in them.
  3. I know this staff will not make a habbit out of this and are doing what they feel they need to do now to stay competitive next season.  This staff knows that player development needs to be the number one improvement from the prior staff.

How's tillman and Hanson work out?

Simmons was starting to produce ti he got hurt

Hinojosa is no slouch either.  I've been quite happy with most of the FBS transfers, JUCOs seem to have been more misses than hits though.  (EDIT: I guess technically Hinojosa was kind of both an FBS and a JUCO transfer, regardless, he's been a welcome addition to the team)

• if the opportunity for immediate help is there, you go after it. The previous staff did a poor job recruiting at the safety and OL positions and we don't have the depth we need to compete there next season. I have no problem bringing in a 20 year old instead of a 18 year old to attempt to help fill those positions.
  • We need to space out scholorships. We can't make a habbit of bringing in the max of 30 new bodies every year and can't have two classes in a row that have 30 freshmen in them.
  • I know this staff will not make a habbit out of this and are doing what they feel they need to do now to stay competitive next season. This staff knows that player development needs to be the number one improvement from the prior staff.
This is exactly right. In fact I think we need atleast one more Juco/transfer OL and I'd welcome two more. We need depth there. To right this ship unconventional things need to be done. I'm glad our coaching staff recognizes that.

1. if the opportunity for immediate help is there, you go after it.  The previous staff did a poor job recruiting at the safety and OL positions and we don't have the depth we need to compete there next season.  I have no problem bringing in a 20 year old instead of a 18 year old to attempt to help fill those positions.
  2. We need to space out scholorships.  We can't make a habbit of bringing in the max of 30 new bodies every year and can't have two classes in a row that have 30 freshmen in them.
  3. I know this staff will not make a habbit out of this and are doing what they feel they need to do now to stay competitive next season.  This staff knows that player development needs to be the number one improvement from the prior staff.

Agreed.  We were lucky to avoid multiple major injuries on the OL, as there wasn't much depth there yet.

And I did verify that 2 of these signings count against last years numbers.  So, we still have spots open for 29 more players......might help a little.

I imagine this staff will have to fill each one of them.  I was wondering about that and thanks for the update.