SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Where did it say UND offered him?

He was listed as an offeree on the Wiki, but committed to Nevada. Not sure when that offer was extended, if he turned it down, if it was withdrawn .... but it seems that UND was at least interested at some point.

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

This might come off as sounding bad but so be it.  I for one am very happy the staff didn't set foot in Arizona or California this year.  Those two states have been an unparalled disaster for us in recruiting, with Arizona being by far the worst.  Not sure one kid has ever panned out from that state.  Plus, some of the softest kids we have ever had have come from there.  I know there is talent in those states but we sure never got it.  

95% of the class from the upper midwest is the way to go.  

Didn't Georges come out of Arizona? Seems to be a better than most receiver.

6 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

He was committed there or a transfer.  Home state is listed as Florida though.

I think he played JC somewhere in the Phoenix metro. Without looking it up, Glendale CC comes to mind.

edit - looked it up, transfer from U of A, Tucson

3 hours ago, UND-1 said:

This might come off as sounding bad but so be it.  I for one am very happy the staff didn't set foot in Arizona or California this year.  Those two states have been an unparalled disaster for us in recruiting, with Arizona being by far the worst.  Not sure one kid has ever panned out from that state.  Plus, some of the softest kids we have ever had have come from there.  I know there is talent in those states but we sure never got it.  

95% of the class from the upper midwest is the way to go.  

The only one I remember from AZ was Peters. He wasn't an all American but played a fair amount and seemed to work hard. 

39 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

That is true, Peters did make it through til the end.

RJ McGill was from AZ as well but I know what you're saying. Our core group of leaders on this team are typically from the Dakotas, Minn, Wisco. Starting to see some potential from Illinois. Arizona and California have not been great to us. In fact I can't think of one impact player from California. I remember an OL during the transition can't remember his name but I think his dad went to UND as well. 

9 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Blount has received a PWO from Oregon State.

Another FBS offer! Obviously no guarantees with anyone, regardless of who else offers, but I think this is a definitely a kid UND to be going all out to get. 

C'mon, who would like to see this kid tear up the NDSU in a few years ;)

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Connor McKendry was a good OL from Cali. He wasn't here 5 years because he was a JUCO though.

That's the one I was thinking of. So him and Goodman are the only ones that us diehards can come up with. Obviously, we've had others from California and Arizona play all four years. I can think of two seniors off this years team in Bridges and Butler. Impact players just haven't been plentiful from these states. I think UND-1 is on to something and I wander if Bubba and staff picked up on that as well. 

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 3:28 PM, siouxfan512 said:

At this point, this is what coaches can show recruits regarding the playoffs:

SDSU

Year Round Opponent Result
2009 First Round Montana L 48–61
2012 First Round
Second Round
Eastern Illinois
North Dakota State
W 58–10
L 3–28
2013 First Round
Second Round
Northern Arizona
Eastern Washington
W 26–7
L 17–41
2014 First Round
Second Round
Montana State
North Dakota State
W 47–40
L 24–27
2015 First Round Montana L 17–24

UND

Year Round Opponent Result

Got Screwed    

Selection Committee

-

Understandable, why a recruit would give SDSU a serious look.

Lots of reasons go into why a kid picks a college and even more of why or why one of them doesn't want to play a sport for them.  I've never once heard a kid say let me look at their past accomplishments to this degree and not look at the coaching staff of the wins and losses. If they do see past records usually past losses or wins are under different coaching as I've stated with so much turnover--so who really cares? It is more in my opinion about who can they play for, do the locals support the college teams and I will say it again--did they "like" the coaches, and this is going to sound silly but what kind of food does the school offer (just ask the kids--it comes up WAY more than you think it would when they check out the food at the schools--and coaches underestimate the power of a kids stomach), can the student athlete actually want to attend a program here and live in this community?  I even heard one parent and kid (not us) arguing at a football camp where he was offered a scholarship where the kid didn't like the town because it didn't even have a Buffalo Wild Wings or and no Chipotle with in walking distance and he was upset because the school cafeteria couldn't make decent mac and cheese and apparently he was a big one for mac and cheese.  He called the town "lame."  Kid criteria is NOT the same as adult criteria.  Just sayin....

If I was UND, you look for the kid who would look at the "got screwed" and say, yeah, about that--I don't want to win for a school that always wins, I want to be part of the underdog come back kid story. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Momster said:

Lots of reasons go into why a kid picks a college and even more of why or why one of them doesn't want to play a sport for them.  I've never once heard a kid say let me look at their past accomplishments to this degree and not look at the coaching staff of the wins and losses. If they do see past records usually past losses or wins are under different coaching as I've stated with so much turnover--so who really cares? It is more in my opinion about who can they play for, do the locals support the college teams and I will say it again--did they "like" the coaches, and this is going to sound silly but what kind of food does the school offer (just ask the kids--it comes up WAY more than you think it would when they check out the food at the schools--and coaches underestimate the power of a kids stomach), can the student athlete actually want to attend a program here and live in this community?  I even heard one parent and kid (not us) arguing at a football camp where he was offered a scholarship where the kid didn't like the town because it didn't even have a Buffalo Wild Wings or and no Chipotle with in walking distance and he was upset because the school cafeteria couldn't make decent mac and cheese and apparently he was a big one for mac and cheese.  He called the town "lame."  Kid criteria is NOT the same as adult criteria.  Just sayin....

If I was UND, you look for the kid who would look at the "got screwed" and say, yeah, about that--I don't want to win for a school that always wins, I want to be part of the underdog come back kid story. 

Completely agree with you! I was really putting that in there as an argument to someone else as to why someone may switch from UND to SDSU, in addition to the proximity being closer to their home.

I'll put it this way, when my kids are older, assuming they have the opportunity to play a college sport ... I want them to go where they feel comfortable, are happy and get a good education.

When I was an high school athlete, and considering playing sports in college, I was really just looking at where can I play? Where is far enough away from home, but not too far? Which school just felt right? I ended up not going to the school where I could wrestle because I didn't like the school as much; instead I went to UND, played in the band, and loved every minute of my time there.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Conor Blount is visiting Wisconsin this weekend, although they did get a PWO commitment from another QB after I saw Blount was visiting.  Also, Joe Markert got a PWO offer from Minnesota as a DL.

Think we have any shot at Blount or are we even in on him? We haven't really heard anything other than seeing followers on Twitter. 

23 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Conor Blount is visiting Wisconsin this weekend, although they did get a PWO commitment from another QB after I saw Blount was visiting.  Also, Joe Markert got a PWO offer from Minnesota as a DL.

Wow, shocking on markert. I know we were recruiting him as an OL.