SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Think we have any shot at Blount or are we even in on him? We haven't really heard anything other than seeing followers on Twitter. 

I was told long ago that one PWO QB was likely all that we would have in this class, so I'm guessing we won't be involved with Blount unless it is at a different position.  Not that I agree with not taking a scholly QB this class, as I think they should have a scholly QB every class, but that's what I'm hearing.  Hope I'm wrong.....

10 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Wow, shocking on markert. I know we were recruiting him as an OL.

I guess they're thinking that you can't teach size and that they can work with him to get him up to speed.

On a side note re: Markert - I saw him at a Chipotle in Minnetonka a couple months ago and he is one huge dude.  His vitals say he's huge, but being next to him I'd say it's not a stretch.  Maybe 6'6" instead of 6'7", but still a massive guy.

10 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Wow, shocking on markert. I know we were recruiting him as an OL.

I think that is where he is best at as well he can clog up the middle with his size and free up LBs. I believe the Illinois PWO offer is for DL too. It sounded like the plan was for him to visit Illinois and South Dakota this weekend. 

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Noah Wanzek (6'4"-200) per SFI.

In addition to WR, kid played FS and punted the ball pretty well for the Blue Jays. Plays basketball too. Seen him listed as tall as 6'5" but I think 6'4" is about right. Nice PWO pick up, I assume.

5 minutes ago, Westside said:

Great to see the news on Cloyd. Although, I'll feel much better about it on Feb. 3rd.  Think he'll be a great pass-catching TE in this offense. 

If he does sign, I'd say UND fared pretty well on the recruiting trail against SDSU (Helgren, Holm & Cloyd)

Agreed, I'll feel better about it on Wednesday, but aside from the Scholly QB that most wanted, and the unfortunate swap with Chinn, I'd say UND did great. A ton of potential in this class.

11 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

In addition to WR, kid played FS and punted the ball pretty well for the Blue Jays. Plays basketball too. Seen him listed as tall as 6'5" but I think 6'4" is about right. Nice PWO pick up, I assume.

Yikes, that's a big receiver... Sounds like a good get for UND. I wonder if he will end up being a tight end? 

1 minute ago, Goon said:

Yikes, that's a big receiver... Sounds like a good get for UND. I wonder if he will end up being a tight end? 

He's built for WR.  Would have to put on another 30-40 pounds for TE, but I think we are doing OK for TEs especially if Cloyd signs with us.  Yes, Wanzek is a nice addition and should make for a good all around athlete with a nose for blocking.

1 minute ago, Goon said:

I think we'll be pretty set at TE, with Cloyd and Pinke, but who knows .... right now I think he has pretty similar size to Luke Stanley, who had a nice year last year. What I want to know is, in addition to size, can he play physical and go up to get some jump balls. Same think that I hope to see more of from Stanley this year. Go up and make some of the tough catches. If you have that leaping ability and physicality, in addition to the extra muscle he will put on in college, there is always potential to be dangerous with that natural size.

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I think we'll be pretty set at TE, with Cloyd and Pinke, but who knows .... right now I think he has pretty similar size to Luke Stanley, who had a nice year last year. What I want to know is, in addition to size, can he play physical and go up to get some jump balls. Same think that I hope to see more of from Stanley this year. Go up and make some of the tough catches. If you have that leaping ability and physicality, in addition to the extra muscle he will put on in college, there is always potential to be dangerous with that natural size.

Watching his defensive plays on Hudl, it looks like he likes to get in there and hit people, which leads me to believe that coaches think he'll fit in nicely as a blocking WR on the edges to clear lanes for Santiago and Co.

Is it Football season yet! Man, I hope we dominate Stony Brook and go into Bowling Green confident and ready for the upset. So much potential on this team, time to capitalize. This will be the season we have been waiting for since going D1. Time to hit the playoffs and make some noise.

• Upvote 4

Interesting that we saw no FBS dropdowns, I though they might go after 1 or 2.

Not complaining, I like that the coaches are going out and getting their own guys, just thought they might try to bring in a seasoned play to help fill in the OL with our graduates and early losses.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I really like that Bubba is going after some big receivers.

Stanley 6' 4"

Dulin 6' 4"

Blackwell 6' 3"

Toivenen 6' 3"

Wanzek 6' 4"

Add your tight ends into that mix too with Cloyd and Pinke.

Wouldn't be surprised of Dulin is closer to 6'5".  

Love the size, but also need to get some smaller burners in there - Dressler or Hardin types.

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Interesting that we saw no FBS dropdowns, I though they might go after 1 or 2.

Not complaining, I like that the coaches are going out and getting their own guys, just thought they might try to bring in a seasoned play to help fill in the OL with our graduates and early losses.

Likely will see more of that after spring ball.  Thinking they may want an FBS OL as well.

1 minute ago, Hambone said:

Wouldn't be surprised of Dulin is closer to 6'5".  

Love the size, but also need to get some smaller burners in there - Dressler or Hardin types.

Yeah, it would be nice to see them get the ball to Reed a bit this year. I think you could definitely work Santiago into a few routes as well. But going forward, its always good to have a fast shifty guy.