SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

College football recruiting is complicated and always will be. Coaches are looking for production, while parents and recruits are looking for a whole lot more than production on Saturdays.  Coaches recruit multiple players and kids consider as many schools that have interest in their ability.  If a job offers you x and another job offers you y, with a corner office and benefits, most people will tell offer x, thanks but no thanks. Recruits and parents are committed to the best all around opportunity. Coaches are focused on Saturday afternoon stats. 

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

How about we limit the discussion on the ones that got away and focus on the ones that are coming - it goes back to wanting kids who want to be here if they change their mind better now than later. 

On that note, do we have any new on potential new recruits? I know there was a CB or S from Georgia that was recently offered, but it doesn't sound like he is going to make a visit. Not sure what the potential will be there. Is that a scenario where we just called up and offered, or did we/will we send a coach down there to visit in person and make the offer?

3 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

It appears someone may have jumped the gun. His Twitter profile still says he's a UND commit, and I've heard he may not end up a Jack.

I don't know what's gonna happen but I noticed he liked some congratulatory tweets to him about committing to SDSU. 

5 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

It appears someone may have jumped the gun. His Twitter profile still says he's a UND commit, and I've heard he may not end up a Jack.

I'm sure he has been too busy to update his twitter profile. Everything about his twitter page (meaning tweets from others) shows that he has committed to the Jacks...

Just now, sioux24/7 said:

I don't know what's gonna happen but I noticed he liked some congratulatory tweets to him about committing to SDSU. 

I don't know either. I'm just the reporter, not the prognosticator. :cool: 

Clearly there's stuff happening behind the scenes - but he hasn't yet posted that he's flipping to SDSU, so that's a hopeful sign.

I assume this tweet is from his HS, so they seem to think he is going to SDSU. Hope alot of this information is wrong, I'd really be happy to see this kid in Grand Forks.

Alex Cloyd will be continuing his education & playing football for South Dakota State University next year. Way to Go Alex! @GoJacksSDSU

I've seen folks on this site that are upset when recruits commit to a school and then flip to another school. I understand where they are coming from but schools can do the exact same thing: an athlete gives a verbal commitment to a school then two weeks before signing day they tell you they no longer have room:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-michigan-s-jim-harbaugh-showing-his-true-colors-and-they-re-ugly-20160121-column.html

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Is UND not offering full FCOA yet?

If all things were equal, it's not good to lose a verbal to SDSU.

Distance must be the major difference here. I can't think why UND would lose out to SDSU otherwise. If for some reason UND is not offering FCOA in 2016 for football, I will be very disappointed. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Distance must be the major difference here. I can't think why UND would lose out to SDSU otherwise. If for some reason UND is not offering FCOA in 2016 for football, I will be very disappointed. 

Maybe he wants to play for an established program that is always in the playoffs?

13 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Distance and money.  UND didn't offer a full, IIRC.  

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Maybe he wants to play for an established program that is always in the playoffs?

If he thinks that, good for him. Also in that scenario, I respectfully disagree with his assessment of the programs, and I hope UND stomps all over SDSU in the not-so-distant future. SDSU lost last season to a Big Sky Conference team in the postseason; I certainly hope UND is not that far behind or else ...

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

I've seen folks on this site that are upset when recruits commit to a school and then flip to another school. I understand where they are coming from but schools can do the exact same thing: an athlete gives a verbal commitment to a school then two weeks before signing day they tell you they no longer have room:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-michigan-s-jim-harbaugh-showing-his-true-colors-and-they-re-ugly-20160121-column.html

Agreed, I fully unerstand that from a sports fan's standpoint it sucks to lose recruits. Especially recruits that everyone is excited about. Have to remember that for these players and their families there is much more at stake. Proximity, Education, Etc. Can't blame any kid for fully weighing his options.

I recently accepted a new job, but am still waiting to hear back from a few other companies. If another company comes back with a much better job, and a much better offer, naturally I will consider and likely take it.

Point being, these kids need to look out for their best interests. Once they do come here, then I expect them to be fully committed. I'd prefer to not have a guy come here, redshirt, show a ton of potential, then leave because the school or program just wasn't for him. Better than he make that decision early.

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Is UND not offering full FCOA yet?

If all things were equal, it's not good to lose a verbal to SDSU.

Starting in the fall, 2016, full FCOA, for football and I believe all sports.

One thing SDSU strategically needs to do is protect their 'turf' and Nebraska is in that footprint.  This recruiting battle was going to be tough.  Think about SDSU driving through Grand Forks to get a kid from Canada.  That would be an up hill battle for them.

I hope we just don't lie down and take it again........that's a bad strategy.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Starting in the fall, 2016, full FCOA, for football and I believe all sports.

One thing SDSU strategically needs to do is protect their 'turf' and Nebraska is in that footprint.  This recruiting battle was going to be tough.  Think about SDSU driving through Grand Forks to get a kid from Canada.  That would be an up hill battle for them.

I hope we just don't lie down and take it again........that's a bad strategy.

Good analogy.

That is one thing I hope the staff is thinking about.  UND hasn't gone after anybody's recruits much at all in recent years.  Might be time to start.  At worst you drive up the price on those schools and make them overpay.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If he thinks that, good for him. Also in that scenario, I respectfully disagree with his assessment of the programs, and I hope UND stomps all over SDSU in the not-so-distant future. SDSU lost last season to a Big Sky Conference team in the postseason; I certainly hope UND is not that far behind or else ...

Understand what you are saying, but when looking at recruits I think we need to look at them from the recruits perspective. Very easy to look at our program, through our Kelly Green Glasses.

SDSU: Strong history, several playoffs, tough conference, IPF, Stadium Upgrades

UND: Strong history, no playoffs (D1), tough conference, IPF, Nice Stadium (Program that appears on the rise, but still has only had 1 strong season in the past several years)

I just think that some kids are ok jumping into a program that may be on the verge of success, while others want to go somewhere that is already a little more established in making and competing in the postseason. I absolutely think UND will be there next year and for seasons to come, but a recruit may not be as sure.

I think we can all empathize with that viewpoint, just based on our hockey team. There was just an article talking about how Coltyn Sanderson passed on other offers, because he wanted to go to a winning program and have a chance to win a championship. Not all that different from how someone may look at their football options.

• Upvote 1

After looking at the Wiki, does anyone know what our relationship is with this kid? UND should go after him 100?, purely off of his name. Who doesn't want a little Bacon on their O-Line? #Hogs

Offensive Tackles (1)

Jacob Bacon, 6'5”, 295, Hastings (Hastings), MN (2 Star - 247 & Scout) Has offers from Cornell, Columbia, Drake, Valpo, USD & SDSU

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

After looking at the Wiki, does anyone know what our relationship is with this kid? UND should go after him 100?, purely off of his name. Who doesn't want a little Bacon on their O-Line? #Hogs

Offensive Tackles (1)

Jacob Bacon, 6'5”, 295, Hastings (Hastings), MN (2 Star - 247 & Scout) Has offers from Cornell, Columbia, Drake, Valpo, USD & SDSU

We are not recruiting him.