SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

GSU is planning to convert Turner Field into a football stadium once the Braves leave for the suburbs. Trying to compete for attention in an SEC city is tough, but they are getting money somehow. With their downtown location, FCS would be an epic failure in Atlanta.

Georgia State is one of 4 bids for Turner Field and Georgia Tech is king in Atlanta. Georgia State is competing against Georgia Tech and the ACC and they're not going to win. The SEC title game might end up in St. Louis because it sounds like Kroenke is going to get what he wants just like the DeWitt's got when they wanted a new Busch Stadium.

am i the only one that kind of finds in funny that the ndac spent all this time and money to beat everyone to the top of the hill only to look back and see that the entire ivy league, the swac, the meac, ga southern, appy state, odu, and others are not even there???

So what's your excuse then for being closer to the bottom of the hill than the top?

He is saying in 2019 we need a 15k stadium, and I said by even selling 15k tickets (in 2019) we need to have a playoff bound team every year from now through 2019. I didn't say we are going to sell 15k tickets now.

This:

07.jpg

It's a pipe dream right now.  But, if UND were ever to go FBS (which I seriously doubt will happen anytime soon...) this is what is needed.  

You want to play with the bigger boys, ya gotta cough up the bigger $$$.  Outside of hockey, I don't think UND has that mindset.  Which isn't such a bad thing.  Colorado State University is building a 43,000+ stadium on campus.  Cost will be over $250 million, which will put that university close to $1,000,000,000 in construction debt (Provided that they don't raise the money immediately for the construction cost of the stadium. Which, they won't.)  Yes that is one BILLION in overall construction debt.  

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/2014/06/22/can-csu-afford-borrow-build-stadium/11231863/

Tuition costs at CSU are going through the roof. Somehow, they are gaining in students.  They will be at 40,000 students in the next 5 years...unless it all comes crashing down around them.  Between the population increase in Colorado and marketing the university to out of state students, they'll probably get there.  But, at what cost?  

I think I'd rather see UND stay in an FCS Big Sky Conference than go to a lower tier FBS conference.  Just my $.02.  

Kelley has already decided to go FBS with the Montana's and others. Fans that disagree can take it up with him and Faisson. If Minneapolis gets a bowl game, UND will be well represented there. Other sites: maybe a couple thousand depending on the location and how.many alums are in the area.

If we don't move up, well probably be stuck in the WAC.

Maybe Tom Miller can use an open records request to get emails and phone records of Faison and Kelley to back up your claim. If there is a secret deal that FBS is a done deal for UND and the BSC, there has to be some communication to that effect. 

Maybe Tom Miller can use an open records request to get emails and phone records of Faison and Kelley to back up your claim. If there is a secret deal that FBS is a done deal for UND and the BSC, there has to be some communication to that effect.

Anyone one can submit such a request, even you.

Anyone one can submit such a request, even you.

The only thing you'll find there is some e-mails plotting to get rid of the nickname. Maybe some about Faisons two month plan on hiring a new football coach.

"Kelley has already decided to go FBS with the Montana's and others. Fans that disagree can take it up with him and Faisson. If Minneapolis gets a bowl game, UND will be well represented there. Other sites: maybe a couple thousand depending on the location and how.many alums are in the area. If we don't move up, well probably be stuck in the WAC."

There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin. I don't really want to get into a back and forth on this I will just say until you can provide good "actual," information you should stick to volleyball. Whatever the 2nd tier is where the Dakota/Montana schools should be and probably will be.

I can guarantee you that Kelley has not already decided to go FBS. Where do you get this stuff?

Kelley has already decided to go FBS with the Montana's and others. Fans that disagree can take it up with him and Faisson. If Minneapolis gets a bowl game, UND will be well represented there.

UND's drawing (on an extraordinary day) 10,000 for a home game. What do you suppose a "Nordic Bowl" game between, say, Bowling Green and North Dakota would draw at the new Vikings stadium?
  • Upvote 2

UND's drawing (on an extraordinary day) 10,000 for a home game. What do you suppose a "Nordic Bowl" game between, say, Bowling Green and North Dakota would draw at the new Vikings stadium?

At its best I'm going to say 20-25,000. I doubt Bowling Green brings many fans.

It's not like Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, or Miami (OH) would draw better. I think your 20-25,000 estimate is about 10,000 too high.

Probably, but who knows with corporate sponsors halftime show that brings people in just to watch a relative perform. It's hard to say. I'd say 30% of people in attendance at every lower level bowl game isn't there to watch football. Either way I'd rather go watch UND play in Frisco for a title.

Six months old. Times change. Cincy and Memphis have been reported in talks with the Big 12. Connecticut media reporting the the B1G is interested. There's a slot in CUSA open now (maybe three). UMAss used the MAC to get in FBS. They were never going to drop basketball from the A10 to the MAC as the MAC insisted.

"Kelley has already decided to go FBS with the Montana's and others. Fans that disagree can take it up with him and Faisson. If Minneapolis gets a bowl game, UND will be well represented there. Other sites: maybe a couple thousand depending on the location and how.many alums are in the area. If we don't move up, well probably be stuck in the WAC."

There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin. I don't really want to get into a back and forth on this I will just say until you can provide good "actual," information you should stick to volleyball. Whatever the 2nd tier is where the Dakota/Montana schools should be and probably will be.

I can guarantee you that Kelley has not already decided to go FBS. Where do you get this stuff?

Learn to use quotes.

I posted a Missoulian story from August where Fullerton said he had a talk with Big Sky Presidents about splitting the 14 team Big Sky into FCS and FBS conferences. One can surmise that Montana, Mont St and Idaho are behind this and have been for some time. UND won't leave the Montana's. Just saying. Either team up with SUU and Idaho State or team up with similar institutions.

Refute Fullerton's words if you want to get anywhere.

I think what everybody is questioning is that there is nothing published or even stating that Kelley has decided to go FBS. In fact in the story you reference above it doesn't even confirm or state that any Big Sky member is wanting to go FBS. You're the only one that is surmising this.

It's not like Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, or Miami (OH) would draw better. I think your 20-25,000 estimate is about 10,000 too high.

ESPN doesn't care where Bowl games are played. The could be on Hollywood sound stage and that would be ok by them or even the Alerus or Fargodome.

ESPN has seen ratings records this bowl season, and not just for the CFPs.

They and advertisers want more bowls not less, as commercials don't get DVD ed on live events.

The demand and payments for bowl games have never been higher. An ESPN or Fox.Sport executive are surely talking with Fullerton. Bowl attendance simply matters little anymore.

I think what everybody is questioning is that there is nothing published or even stating that Kelley has decided to go FBS. In fact in the story you reference above it doesn't even confirm or state that any Big Sky member is wanting to go FBS. You're the only one that is surmising this.

So you're saying the Montana's be damned, we want FCS or we leave the Sky. It's one or the other. Times force us to change.

UND has dreamed of being associated with the Montana's for conference play for almost 60 years. But Kelley is going to throw that away?

So you're saying the Montana's be damned, we want FCS or we leave the Sky.

UND has dreamed of being associated with the Montana's for conference play for almost 60 years. But Kelley is going to throw that away.

No, what I'm saying is no school has really stated they want to go FBS. Fullerton has stated a hypothetical. If all these certain things happen we may want to do this.

Kelley is hostile to sports. I don't see him going behind the scenes to make sports an even bigger part of und. Faison and alumni on the other hand.....

The first two sentences are patently false and do not need to be dignified with the myriad reasons why.

No, what I'm saying is no school has really stated they want to go FBS. Fullerton has stated a hypothetical. If all these certain things happen we may want to do this.

As a commissioner, Fullerton is employed at the behest of Big Sky Presidents. If a majority did not want him to speak on the subject, he would have kept his mouth SHUT.

At least eight BSC presidents want to pursue FBS for the Big Sky. I'm saying Kelley is a yes vote, otherwise we would be sharing bread crumbs with Idaho St and SUU.

Politics 101 of a conference. Fullerton is not in charge, but his job is to be out in front when the Presidents don't want to be yet.

So you're saying the Montana's be damned, we want FCS or we leave the Sky. It's one or the other. Times force us to change.

UND has dreamed of being associated with the Montana's for conference play for almost 60 years. But Kelley is going to throw that away?

Some pretty wild FBS conspiracy theories you have...I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa and who the shooter behind the grassy knoll may have been...
  • Upvote 2

So what's your excuse then for being closer to the bottom of the hill than the top?

the day lennon got pissed off at bunning and jumped ship and somehow muss was promoted to head coach...that a adding womens hockey has been a huge financial drag from the day it was started...one is fixed and the other is here to stay so we have to deal with it...

Some pretty wild FBS conspiracy theories you have...I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa and who the shooter behind the grassy knoll may have been...

Yah, I know.  My conspiracy theories just get wild.  Like how UND would absolutely get accepted into the Big Sky even when we were still in DII.  Bison fans harassed me for years over that one:  after all they tried three times and didn't get in. 

Or when I said the Delaney and the Big Ten would force Minnesota and Wisconsin out of the WCHA because they saw Tv $S in hockey content and wouldn't share.  THat was before Penn State added hockey.  Was well off on that one too, after all many posters said Minnesota likes the WCHA and would never leave. 

Or when I said UND and Denver would never tolerate a WCHA without the Big Ten schools.  UND admin would just assume leave without Bemidji and UAA and Mich Tech as those schools offer little TV value.  People here thought I was crazy and said so. 

I'm back in the same boat and I'm sticking to my story.  The FCS boat is sinking, as the only life vest is the one that has some actual money in it for Presidents.  If you don't like my hairbrained theories, you can just check back in three or four years. 

Always follow the money and prestige when trying to understand University Presidents.  But I'm just a dumb !@#$, the dumbest guy on the internet according to bison fans.

• Upvote 1