SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

But how do we fund it? Those 22 schollies added to the 85 stipends will probably put the financial picture over the tipping point. Plus, we are going to be looking at having to pump more money into mens basketball soon as well. And no, we aren't defunding womens hockey, that's pretty much a sacred cow due to Title IX.

I'm not saying we won't ever move up, but the money has to come from somewhere, and right now it's not there.

Hopefully, a new stadium on campus will be a major part of that, financed by wealthy alumni. Plus there would be more money for TV, bowl contracts, P5 guarantees and later a very small piece of the huge CFP pot.

But how do we fund it? Those 22 schollies added to the 85 stipends will probably put the financial picture over the tipping point. Plus, we are going to be looking at having to pump more money into mens basketball soon as well. And no, we aren't defunding womens hockey, that's pretty much a sacred cow due to Title IX.

I'm not saying we won't ever move up, but the money has to come from somewhere, and right now it's not there.

Would UND have the required amount of sports if sports like baseball and women's hockey was cut?

he must not see UND as a high-end Big Sky school.

It is in their contract with the big sky that they can void their contract if either Montana school or UND leave so there's that. One of only three schools they specifically named in their contract.

As far as the rest, I think a handful of FCS conferences see themselves in the middle tier.

Hopefully, a new stadium on campus will be a major part of that, financed by wealthy alumni. Plus there would be more money for TV, bowl contracts, and later a very small piece of the huge CFP pot.

I don't see how we can keep putting these major facilities projects on the backs of wealthy alums.   There are only so many Ralphs to go around.   I really see this as being more of a pipe dream than anything else.   Add to this that we aren't even doing all that well in FCS and aren't ready for the next step.   I'm usually pretty supportive of whatever UND is willing to try, but I have no doubt that we are a long, long way from testing the FBS waters.

I believe he mentions where a good chunk of the money comes from in the article. That money is the reason schools like Idaho can make it work.

I don't see how we can keep putting these major facilities projects on the backs of wealthy alums.   There are only so many Ralphs to go around.   I really see this as being more of a pipe dream than anything else.   Add to this that we aren't even doing all that well in FCS and aren't ready for the next step.   I'm usually pretty supportive of whatever UND is willing to try, but I have no doubt that we are a long, long way from testing the FBS waters.

DCZ knows way more about wealthy a!ums and what they will support than you or I. I trust her knowledge more than any one here. If she says we can't go FBS, we don't.

I think when an FBS study is done they should look at the savings by hacking some sports that don't generate much for attendance like baseball, soccer and women's hockey.

Women's soccer and softball will be required sports in an FBS Big Sky. Baseball may be needed to get an autobid if Cal Poly and UC Davis come aboard. W hockey is one of the few sports that can yield a national championship and Olympians. It won't be dropped.

Women's soccer will be a required sport in an FBS Big Sky. Baseball may be needed to get an autobid if Cal Poly and UC Davis come aboard. W hockey is one of the few sports that can yield a national championship and Olympians. It won't be dropped.

I agree fully on womens hockey.   It beats me why people just keep insisting that it can or will be cut.   It can't and it won't be.

So it wasn't for "money games" and the 1 million they get from the Sun Belt their football program would have folded.

My take away was that he is saying it's going to get harder to balance an athletic budget with an FCS football squad in your athletic dept.