SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

Hockey knows it has to attach itself to an FBS program, otherwise hockey can be left out of a higher NCAA level.  As simple as that.  It is in hockey's best interest to be at a higher football level than we are now.

Have you been to a UND FB in the past handful of years or followed the UND FB program?  I have season tickets to both FB and hockey and have for sometime and hockey at UND will NEVER need anything from the FB program at the FCS or FBS level to continue to be successful. 

As my girls would say..."dude, you're cra cra!"

So nodak651, Oxbox, and MafiaMan all insist any talk of FBS is crazy.

I guess they all think Fullerton should be fired too for talking like that. He sees a bigger picture than you. But I'm crazy.

2016 can't get here soon enough.

I'm pretty much in their court as well. We may at some point move up but I doubt it will be called FBS and it will be minus all the top conferences (big 10, SEC, etc.... Anyways I'll put money on it that we don't move up in 2016. That's crazy.

I guess they all think Fullerton should be fired too for talking like that.  He sees a bigger picture than you.  But I'm crazy.

No...just the part that hockey will at any point be dependent on FB or what that program does.  Not sold on UND going FBS but if it happens...it happens.

I guess they all think Fullerton should be fired too for talking like that. He sees a bigger picture than you. But I'm crazy.

So 2016 UND does an FBS study to move up later or does UND move up right away?

No...just the part that hockey will at any point be dependent on FB or what that program does.  Not sold on UND going FBS but if it happens...it happens.

Someday there will be PAC12, ACC, MAC and probably SEC hockey conferences in addition to the B1G.   Hockey in FBS conferences can then break away, like some are saying there will for basketball, What does UND Hockey do then? 

Granted, that's probably 20 years or more out, but the longer one delays FBS, the more of a mountain there is to climb.

So 2016 UND does an FBS study to move up later or does UND move up right away?

The Big Sky will have a study in 2016.  It won't be UND specific unless Kelley wants one.  It won't be until 2018 that an FBS transition begins.  2019 when the attendance requirements must be met.

The same approvals would be required from the state when the REA trust acquired a long-term lease on the Bronson property.

It's one thing for the State to approve the transfer of the Bronson property to REA when a benefactor is willing to donate $100 million to build a new hockey arena.  It's quite another for the State to approve of the transfer of Memorial Stadium to a non-profit entity so that the University can indirectly take on debt to renovate it.  

Also, the politics are different for hockey than football.  NDSU doesn't have hockey, so approving the transfer of the Bronson property to REA to build a hockey arena was less threatening than it will be to approve the transfer of Memorial to renovate UND's football stadium.  I have to believe the NDSU-leaning constituency at the State would not be in favor of such a thing.

The Big Sky will have a study in 2016. It won't be UND specific unless Kelley wants one. It won't be until 2018 that an FBS transition begins. 2019 when the attendance requirements must be met.

And it's February of 2019 when the lease for the Alerus is up.

It's one thing for the State to approve the transfer of the Bronson property to REA when a benefactor is willing to donate $100 million to build a new hockey arena.  It's quite another for the State to approve of the transfer of Memorial Stadium to a non-profit entity so that the University can indirectly take on debt to renovate it.  

Also, the politics are different for hockey than football.  NDSU doesn't have hockey, so approving the transfer of the Bronson property to REA to build a hockey arena was less threatening than it will be to approve the transfer of Memorial to renovate UND's football stadium.  I have to believe the NDSU-leaning constituency at the State would not be in favor of such a thing.

The SBoHE will be presented with a dilemma:  either approve FBS for UND in the Big Sky, or UND will be kicked out. with UNC, SUU etc

The state government didn't kick when the nickname was presented in the same manner by the Big Sky.

NDSU has been offered by the Big Sky.  The state and bison backers won't have any leg to stand on.

I'm pretty much in their court as well. We may at some point move up but I doubt it will be called FBS and it will be minus all the top conferences (big 10, SEC, etc.... Anyways I'll put money on it that we don't move up in 2016. That's crazy.

We'd be no different that Bowling Green and Ball State.   But its a very tall task.  We have to get to a level higher than Idaho's performance now.  It can be done with the right people in high places.

Someday there will be PAC12, ACC, MAC and probably SEC hockey conferences in addition to the B1G. Hockey in FBS conferences can then break away, like some are saying there will for basketball, What does UND Hockey do then?

Granted, that's probably 20 years or more out, but the longer one delays FBS, the more of a mountain there is to climb.

20 years out is optimistic for the PAC 12 and MAC. You'll be dead...as will most posting here today...before the SEC and/or ACC have hockey conferences.

Dare I say Lacrosse will be a better bet in those conference due to Title 9 and the fact they can't keep a Coke cold for 20 minutes in Gainesville or Tallahassee.

Hopefully by then the P5 and G5 will have their own playoffs and bowls will be gone.

Yeah, there are about 40 bowl games now; every nickel and dime 6-6 team gets to go to a bowl game.  Reward for the regular season.....what a joke. :silly:

Have an 8-team playoff for the P5 and the G5, dump all these worthless bowl games and you have a pretty good system.

• Upvote 1

The SBoHE will be presented with a dilemma:  either approve FBS for UND in the Big Sky, or UND will be kicked out. with UNC, SUU etc

The state government didn't kick when the nickname was presented in the same manner by the Big Sky.

NDSU has been offered by the Big Sky.  The state and bison backers won't have any leg to stand on.

I suspect the State will have no problem approving UND for FBS if UND has the cash in hand to do it.  I have serious doubts that they'd allow a transfer of Memorial Stadium, or even signing a long-term lease to REA, so that REA can bond the project.  Allowing indirect bonding of public buildings on campus through the use of a non-profit would open up a can of worms that would essentially render the policy to pay cash for building projects meaningless.  Other than the Ralph/Betty, has UND, or any other campus, used that structure to build or improve a campus facility?  The Bronson property was a very unique situation where a benefactor was coming forward with $100 million.  

I continue to believe that if there is no major benefactor coming forward to pay for Memorial, I don't see a renovation happening any time soon.  That's just my opinion.  I could be wrong. It's fun to think about because I'd like to see football go back to (a renovated) Memorial someday. 

If anything is going to drive more changes in the NCAA in Division I, this is it.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/2015/01/11/chance-changes-ncaa-convention/21615837/ 

People I've talked to said this will pass quite easily and it is going to widen some gaps tremendously, though the specifics weren't quite hammered out yet.  As previously stated, UND will do this on the men's hockey side at a minimum.  They will also have to match it on the women's side because of Title IX implications but they aren't necessarily going to use it on women's hockey.  Could give UND a big advantage if they applied it to WBB or VB (or some combination).

The other thing that is touched on in the article and that will get some play in the near future is the subsidy percentage.  I have heard that some changes within the NDUS are going to effect some of those numbers (revenues, expenses and in turn subsidy percentages).  It will be on paper only but that likely won't stop some noise being made about it.

Have you been to a UND FB in the past handful of years or followed the UND FB program?  I have season tickets to both FB and hockey and have for sometime and hockey at UND will NEVER need anything from the FB program at the FCS or FBS level to continue to be successful. 

As my girls would say..."dude, you're cra cra!"

i think what siouxvolley is saying is that decisions made now affect you 20, 30, 40 years later...like when in the 60's the dak schools stayed in d2 while other peer schools (montanas) made the jump...lets say that 25 years from now und stays with schools like suu, unc, isu and so forth (schools that are content on JUST being d1) and d1 hockey in the p5 conferences continues to grow and they do what they are doing to d1 fbs football to d1 hockey....do we wanna be with the big boys of d1 hockey 25 years from now (minnesota, michigan, boston u, bc, arizona state, southern cal, cal, stanford, alabama, ole miss, florida...) or do we wanna be the boise state to the minnesota states, michigan techs, ferris states, alabama-huntsville, union....

• Upvote 2

Why is Wyoming vs San Diego St on ESPN 2 right now at Wyoming? Cause they are FBS and more recognizable because of it?

For starters, the MWC has a good basketball profile, and a deal with ESPN to televise games.  Second, SDSU was a sweet 16 team last year.   Their football being FBS has zero to do with it.   The Sunbelt and MAC are FBS too, and their BB sucks in comparison.

For starters, the MWC has a good basketball profile, and a deal with ESPN to televise games. Second, SDSU was a sweet 16 team last year. Their football being FBS has zero to do with it. The Sunbelt and MAC are FBS too, and their BB sucks in comparison.

Hopefully Saul will make that Ohio team as good or even better than he did at NDSU. He was a good coach and a good guy to know.

• 1 month later...

Article on Idaho  Thanks to Sioux Football Insider.

Spear has often spoke of Idaho football ending up in a "second tier" of conferences - below the Power 5, but above the FCS level. He said he thinks as the Power 5 conferences move further away from the other FBS leagues, that scenario could become closer to reality.

He envisions a league with Idaho and New Mexico State and some of the high-end Big Sky schools (including Eastern Washington, Montana and Montana State) in that second tier.

"I hear all the time from Big Sky Conference officials that there's not a lot of difference between the Big Sky and the Sun Belt," Spear said. "Well if there's not a lot of difference, then let's play at the same level."

He said if that second tier is going to happen, now is the time for Big Sky schools to make their move.

If opportunity to move up into a new tier of FCS/FBS is created and the Montana's go, UND better not sit on their hands like when the SU's went. We don't have to wait for any Dakota teams to lead us, this time we follow the Montana's.

But how do we fund it?   Those 22 schollies added to the 85 stipends will probably put the financial picture over the tipping point.    Plus, we are going to be looking at having to pump more money into mens basketball soon as well.    And no, we aren't defunding womens hockey, that's pretty much a sacred cow due to Title IX.

I'm not saying we won't ever move up, but the money has to come from somewhere, and right now it's not there.