SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Tournament

IowaSioux24

I like the Imperial Room. Good happy hour, and great food! Never really too busy either. It's on First Ave just a couple blocks away from the Target Center.

Agree on the happy hour and food but for nightlife I'm not a fan. Got bottle service for a relative's birthday there and they kept trying to screw us over on the price charging us $300-400 more than what it should be. Luckily I was keeping tabs on what the bill should be and confronted the host about it. At first he was defensive and finally admitted it was wrong, so I'd stay away past 7 or 8pm.

The Capital Grille is the cock of the walk. Eighth and Hennepin. O'Donavan's is an Irish joint right across the street. Big. Good chow.

McKenzie's is a fine hole in the wall on Hennepin and Ninth. Right next to the Orpheum Theater.

The Loon on 5th and 1st Avenue North has great chili and other things.

Of course, not far away is the holy trio of Murray's Steakhouse, Lyon's Pub, and Ike's. Go to Ike's for morning brunch.

Best yet, of course, go to St. Paul and the Hoggsbreath for brunch there . . . .

These are just a few of your options, but probably some of your best options.

No Bar La Grasa, 112 Eatery, Butcher and the Boar, Cafe & Bar Lurcat, HauteDish, or D'Amico and Sons?

I like the Imperial Room. Good happy hour, and great food! Never really too busy either. It's on First Ave just a couple blocks away from the Target Center.

Imperial Room is my favorite bar down in area around the Target Center. $4 22oz craft beers and cheap above average appetizers.

A word to the wise though... The Imperial Room along with others (Pourhouse and Sneaky Pete's) turn into dance clubs around 10pm.

If you are willing to venture a little further away from the Target Center, the Smack Shack on Washington is always fun too.

• Upvote 1

Whisky Park (5th St and Hennepin) used to have free tacos/dogs (IIRC) prior to Twin's games. Was a nice, fairly quiet place to have a drink and a quick bite prior to the game. I haven't been there in a year so don't know if things have changed.

Whisky Park (5th St and Hennepin) used to have free tacos/dogs (IIRC) prior to Twin's games. Was a nice, fairly quiet place to have a drink and a quick bite prior to the game. I haven't been there in a year so don't know if things have changed.

Whiskey Park is horrible. Always pretty empty, dance party scene, and they charge a cover. I try to stay away as much as possible.

Who gets the Friday night game? Top seed always or lopsided attendance scenario goes to better drawing second seed? (This year is SCSU obviously.)

I would hope that the NCHC keeps the highest-remaining seed left after the 1st round in the Friday evening game - and that the so-called "Gopher rule" that many Sioux fans (myself included) have ridiculed over the years doesn't become the "Sioux rule," which UND fans suddenly defend.

I would hope that the NCHC keeps the highest-remaining seed left after the 1st round in the Friday evening game - and that the so-called "Gopher rule" that many Sioux fans (myself included) have ridiculed over the years doesn't become the "Sioux rule," which UND fans suddenly defend.

Sounds like CBS Sports has some influence on this as well.

I think the "Sioux Rule" would never really work. The reason that there was the "Gopher Rule" for the Final 5 was to get the casual gopher hockey fan to possibly attend. It is obviously easier for a person living in the Twin Cities Metro area to decide to go to a night game when you find out a week before. For Sioux fans, the majority of the one going to the NCHC tournament have been planning to go for months. Probably planned on going to all the games anyway. So putting UND in the afternoon shouldn't affect attandance too much.

If you really want to reward the #1 seed going into the NCHC Tournament, you would put them in the Friday afternoon game. If they win, it gives them the most rest before the Championship game. I think if UND and St Cloud both make it, its not gonna matter who is in the early game or who is in the night game. Both should have plenty of fans there.

That being siad...I guess we all have no idea how this new league is going to do things. We will wait and see I guess!!

I think the "Sioux Rule" would never really work. The reason that there was the "Gopher Rule" for the Final 5 was to get the casual gopher hockey fan to possibly attend. It is obviously easier for a person living in the Twin Cities Metro area to decide to go to a night game when you find out a week before. For Sioux fans, the majority of the one going to the NCHC tournament have been planning to go for months. Probably planned on going to all the games anyway. So putting UND in the afternoon shouldn't affect attandance too much.

If you really want to reward the #1 seed going into the NCHC Tournament, you would put them in the Friday afternoon game. If they win, it gives them the most rest before the Championship game. I think if UND and St Cloud both make it, its not gonna matter who is in the early game or who is in the night game. Both should have plenty of fans there.

That being siad...I guess we all have no idea how this new league is going to do things. We will wait and see I guess!!

It might be more about CBS Sports wanting a certain team in Prime time. That said, I agree with Mafia Man, go by seeding to be fair to everyone. I would have hated to have Notre Dame in our league and then be told that they would always get the night game because they are Notre Dame, likewise I think if you are CBS and you chose to hitch your wagon to the NCHC, you should regard any of the teams as worthy candidates for night games.

It might be more about CBS Sports wanting a certain team in Prime time. That said, I agree with Mafia Man, go by seeding to be fair to everyone. I would have hated to have Notre Dame in our league and then be told that they would always get the night game because they are Notre Dame, likewise I think if you are CBS and you chose to hitch your wagon to the NCHC, you should regard any of the teams as worthy candidates for night games.

Networks have preferences in the NFL, why wouldn't they have preferences in the NCHC? If they had a choice of New England and Dallas or Jacksonville and San Diego, which game would they choose for prime time? Some teams are going to draw more viewers than others, and they are in it for the money.

There are a lot of UND alumni that live in the Twin Cities area that might go to a Friday night game, but not a Friday afternoon game. Certainly not as many as Gopher fans, but probably more than St. Cloud fans. Having said that, I think the league should go with whatever CBS wants. Long term, I think it is in the league's best interest to get the best television ratings as possible and improve upon its television deal in the future.

The 7:00 pm game-slot is all about being able to showcase your team to the Twin Cities TV market - in layman's terms, potential college recruits. Giving Minnesota the prime-time game under the guise of "boosting attendance" was a farce. How many high school kids were home skipping school watching those Friday afternoon games? None. For that reason alone, I think the #1 seed should have the prime-time slot - they earned it. I think its even MORE important now given that North Dakota (and one could argue, the entire NCHC) is out-of-sight-out-of-mind in the TC market entirely thanks to the B10 and the local media.

The 7:00 pm game-slot is all about being able to showcase your team to the Twin Cities TV market - in layman's terms, potential college recruits. Giving Minnesota the prime-time game under the guise of "boosting attendance" was a farce. How many high school kids were home skipping school watching those Friday afternoon games? None. For that reason alone, I think the #1 seed should have the prime-time slot - they earned it. I think its even MORE important now given that North Dakota (and one could argue, the entire NCHC) is out-of-sight-out-of-mind in the TC market entirely thanks to the B10 and the local media.

How many times do I have to remind you guys that the Minnesota rule was for TV advertising revenue, not attendance.

How many times do I have to remind you guys that the Minnesota rule was for TV advertising revenue, not attendance.

It was for both... If you think that the Minnesota rule had nothing to with boosting attendance you are on crack. Feel free at anytime to crawl back to gpl.

It was for both... If you think that the Minnesota rule had nothing to with boosting attendance you are on crack. Feel free at anytime to crawl back to gpl.

You're wrong. Gopher fans don't only exist in the Twin Cities, they cover the state. There was no way the WCHA would let the Gophers play in the afternoon while the entire state is at work. If the Gophers played Friday afternoon the attendance would be the same as that evening.

Pure fiction!

There might be a TINY difference but essentially it would absolutely be the same. If you think otherwise you are very much underestimating the size and passion of Gopher hockey fans. If the Gophers are playing in the Final Five against a rival like UND or UW on a Friday afternoon that game would be SOLD OUT, no doubt about it.