SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Tournament

IowaSioux24

There might be a TINY difference but essentially it would absolutely be the same. If you think otherwise you are very much underestimating the size and passion of Gopher hockey fans. If the Gophers are playing in the Final Five against a rival like UND or UW on a Friday afternoon that game would be SOLD OUT, no doubt about it.

If it weren't for und fans, that game would NOT be sold out!

• Upvote 1

There might be a TINY difference but essentially it would absolutely be the same. If you think otherwise you are very much underestimating the size and passion of Gopher hockey fans. If the Gophers are playing in the Final Five against a rival like UND or UW on a Friday afternoon that game would be SOLD OUT, no doubt about it.

The Gophers can't even sell out The John on a Friday night when they are playing rivals like the Badgers or the Wolverines in a Big Ten tilt. What makes you think that they'd sell out a Friday afternoon game at a much larger venue?

Or are all those empty seats I see on television just my imagination? Or chairs for late arriving or of early departing fans?

• Upvote 1

If the Gophers are playing in the Final Five against a rival like UND or UW on a Friday afternoon that game would be SOLD OUT, no doubt about it.

Of course it would...the UND fans would pack that arena no problem. :)

The Gophers can't even sell out The John on a Friday night when they are playing rivals like the Badgers or the Wolverines in a Big Ten tilt.

True. Watching some Gopher home games this year on tv, it was crazy seeing all the empty seats when they were playing a "rival" school.

And how would a Friday afternoon game involving the Gophers vs Denver or CC looked? 15,000 at best. I have PLENTY of Gopher friends who wouldn't bother using three to five hours of vacation time to see a 2:00pm Friday afternoon game. Luckily for them, they never had to bother filling out a vacation request form like I have had to do every spring to see their team play.

If the Gophers played Friday afternoon the attendance would be the same as that evening.

Somebody should start a Preposterous Statement Tournament on this site, like the Common Man. I would nominate this statement. (Followed by the guy who said Danny Kristo would spend most of the season in the ECHL this year.)

• Upvote 1

Somebody should start a Preposterous Statement Tournament on this site, like the Common Man. I would nominate this statement. (Followed by the guy who said Danny Kristo would spend most of the season in the ECHL this year.)

I believe he's posting as chicagolandsioux now.

Love this idea. If someone reminds me of this idea next October, I'd gladly accept nominations all through next year and run the voting through my blog. 2014 SS.COM PST has a nice ring to it.

EDIT: Just hope I wouldn't have too many submissions for my posts :lol:

Aren't we supposed to be able to vote for day 3 today? Not even listed.

The conference is pretty busy with some things today with the first live stream on their website and a dozen other things that need to be worked on for the conference tourney. It will be posted tonight and fans will have a little more time to vote than the last two.

Whiskey Park is horrible. Always pretty empty, dance party scene, and they charge a cover. I try to stay away as much as possible.

Maybe it's changed, or perhaps that's what it is later in the evening. When I've been there it's been 5pm or so, prior to a Twins game. Completely different than what you're describing. And again, I haven't been there in a year, so things could be different there now.

Interesting stuff Dave. Always appreciate your previews and history. I don't say this often enough. You are a refreshing breath of air on threads that often get clogged with too many fourth graders playing on the internet when they should be studying the games and remarking on your analysis. Of course, this remark does not apply to the great percentage of posters who do weigh in with reasoned remarks. Now, I must get back to class so I can hopefully move on to the fifth grade next year myself.

Let's drop the puck and see what happens!

Maybe it's changed, or perhaps that's what it is later in the evening. When I've been there it's been 5pm or so, prior to a Twins game. Completely different than what you're describing. And again, I haven't been there in a year, so things could be different there now.

Good point. I am talking about later in the night. A coworker of mine loves going to Whiskey Park after work even if we are having Happy Hour elsewhere. I think they do a Beat the Bartender-type dice game where you can win free drinks. Never been there for that myself though. I did pregame there for a Twins game a year or two ago though and ordered a $10 frozen pizza, so I wouldn't reccomend that.

You are a refreshing breath of air on threads that often get clogged with too many fourth graders playing on the internet when they should be studying the games and remarking on your analysis. Now, I must get back to class so I can hopefully move on to the fifth grade next year myself.

Third time's a charm, NDH! I predict you pass this year!

Networks have preferences in the NFL, why wouldn't they have preferences in the NCHC? If they had a choice of New England and Dallas or Jacksonville and San Diego, which game would they choose for prime time? Some teams are going to draw more viewers than others, and they are in it for the money.

Agreed.

nice! MafiaMan - been awhile

Think attendance will be hurt with St. Cloud not showing up?

Where on earth have you been? Sheesh...it's like Tom Hanks and "Castaway"!

Obviously SCSU will now stay home but maybe some Miami fans will be motivated to make the trip now that their team is suddenly watchable.