SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. CC - Saturday

AZSIOUX

Some thoughts:

~Zane forever.....just keep playing him until you lose I guess.

~Specialty teams almost cost them. 50 percent on the PK, 0% on the power play.

~St. Clair is good to have back. Tons of energy.

~5X5 they controlled play quite a bit. Looks like they are more into high cycle plays in the zone now then low cycling in the corner. I guess however you get it done...

Every game is a playoff game from here on out. Have to get two more against BSU to make it 9.

It doesn't get easier for CC next week-they play at home against Providence and one of the best goaltenders in the country.

I hope UND has a great week of practice and plays well against Bemidji.

Bemidji State finished off a nice sweep in Sault Ste Marie tonight...they will be ready for next weekend.

Some thoughts:

~Zane forever.....just keep playing him until you lose I guess.

~Specialty teams almost cost them. 50 percent on the PK, 0% on the power play.

~St. Clair is good to have back. Tons of energy.

~5X5 they controlled play quite a bit. Looks like they are more into high cycle plays in the zone now then low cycling in the corner. I guess however you get it done...

Every game is a playoff game from here on out. Have to get two more against BSU to make it 9.

OK - serious question - and one I got hammered for yesterday - why with all of our talent do we have such a brutal power play?

OK - serious question - and one I got hammered for yesterday - why with all of our talent do we have such a brutal power play?

Lots of reasons. Here is my short list.

-Dumping the puck too much. Tonight they dumped it on a 5-3....and it got sent down right away.

-Too much indirect passing. Watch good pp units. Tape to tape. Crappy ice murders your indirect passing game. Also aggressive killing teams jump all over indirect passes.

-They don't shoot enough with net front presence. Brad Malone should come back and teach screening a goalie.

-They don't shoot enough period.

That's my opinion. I'm sure there are other things. Funny how at times lines have more offensive zone chemistry 5X5 than when they're 5X4.....thats hockey though.

Was great to get the sweep, but it was touch and go because of the inability to convert and increase the lead on the powerplay, When you have several chances to increase a one goal lead, you've got to at least use those powerplays to create or sustain momentum. This is especially the case if you get to the NCAA tournament and are in a one and done situation. The fact is that if you have three or four powerplays in a row like the Sioux did tonight and you don't extend the lead, chances are that the opposition is going to get a few chances to tie it up, or take the lead like Colorado College did tonight. Thankfully, they fought back and won, because that could have been a devastating loss going forward. If it's a matter of not bearing down until you need to, then that is a recipe for not winning in the NCAA tournament. Need to have the feeling that this may be the only powerplay they will be getting and needing to take advantage of it.

Lots of reasons. Here is my short list.

-Dumping the puck too much. Tonight they dumped it on a 5-3....and it got sent down right away.

-Too much indirect passing. Watch good pp units. Tape to tape. Crappy ice murders your indirect passing game. Also aggressive killing teams jump all over indirect passes.

-They don't shoot enough with net front presence. Brad Malone should come back and teach screening a goalie.

-They don't shoot enough period.

That's my opinion. I'm sure there are other things. Funny how at times lines have more offensive zone chemistry 5X5 than when they're 5X4.....thats hockey though.

I get that - I guess what I'm asking is why with all of their talent do they do these things and why can't we have crisp passes and bang bang plays like other teams that I think aren't as good as us?

I will call it a Circle of Sticks every week with a straight face....so long as we're seeing the circle of sticks.

I kind of like that, to be honest with you. It''s the second time we have seen it this year, already. Last year, it only happened once.

Edited by Goon

According to Starman last night, UND's top power play line is among the best in the country.

Dave is/was a scout for Toronto. So, he knows the game of hockey pretty well.

Overall talent,

Top level potential .......yes I agree

Doesn't mean it's clicking perfectly but .........potentially ?:\

In games that matter...7 wins in a row. Tough to argue with results. Play like they have been and it could get to 9 in a row w Bemidji.

IMO of the 4 fr. Dman Keaton probably has the highest ceiling. If he stays 4 years and the other 3 do as well...wow.

Mark Mac and Colton just make a huge difference in the lineup.

I really liked all 4 lines this weekend but need Drake to get rolling.

This weekend was the first time this season the cycle 5x5 really started to click.

Special teams and goaltending will determine this teams fate in March...like almost every other team.

And for truenorth my 3 stars are: (drum roll)

1st star: OD

2nd star: Messi

3rd star: OD

GO SIOUX!

Time to be a CC fan when the play Providence next weekend. The NCHC needs nonconference wins badly, especially against anyone ranked high in pairwise. This CC series may be the last chance for anyone in the NCHC.

There is another opportunity for bad non conference losses (ie Sioux vs. Bemidji). Those two non conference series next weekend are huge for the NCHC.

Time to be a CC fan when the play Providence next weekend. The NCHC needs nonconference wins badly, especially against anyone ranked high in pairwise. This CC series may be the last chance for anyone in the NCHC.

There is another opportunity for bad non conference losses (ie Sioux vs. Bemidji). Those two non conference series next weekend are huge for the NCHC.

Big need for wins...we absolutely can not lose, and I'd love for CC to steal one.

The Saturday night ties vs Vermont and BU really hurt right now too