SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Pairwise rankings

jimdahl

What's the reasoning for switching your stance on PWR as I thought earlier in the year you were more keen on USCHO's?

CHN just finished theirs a week or two ago. But, while they were working on it they still had the old table posted, so I was warning people that their posted table was wrong. Now that they've finished it, their's seems more correct to me.

In short, in trying to do it myself before USCHO or CHN did it, I found out how basketball applied the weights and did that (even though it seemed subpar). When USCHO came out with their's about a month ago, they did the same thing I had done, so I assumed it must be correct (even though it had proven pretty quirky as I was trying to implement it).

Once CHN did it the other way and declared they were sure they were right, I now think USCHO just did what I did -- found out how basketball does it and assumed that must be how hockey does. But, basketball's implementation doesn't work well with the dropped games. So, I'm going to start moving entirely to the CHN calculation (though will maintain the ability to run USCHO's if we get more information in the future).

CHN just finished theirs a week or two ago. But, while they were working on it they still had the old table posted, so I was warning people that their posted table was wrong. Now that they've finished it, their's seems more correct to me.

In short, in trying to do it myself before USCHO or CHN did it, I found out how basketball applied the weights and did that (even though it seemed subpar). When USCHO came out with their's about a month ago, they did the same thing I had done, so I assumed it must be correct (even though it had proven pretty quirky as I was trying to implement it).

Once CHN did it the other way and declared they were sure they were right, I now think USCHO just did what I did -- found out how basketball does it and assumed that must be how hockey does. But, basketball's implementation doesn't work well with the dropped games. So, I'm going to start moving entirely to the CHN calculation (though will maintain the ability to run USCHO's if we get more information in the future).

Makes sense, I'm interested to see how this will adjust to your future predictions and if it will be more or less volatile and hopefully (fingers crossed) gives UND a better chance to make bigger moves upwards!

UND still with a little more downside potential than upside.

UNDoneweek.png

Still a very good chance of an at-large bid if UND wins more than it loses.

UNDendofseason.png

As previously mentioned, this is using the CHN implementation (for USCHO readers, their PWR is a bit different).

So 7 gets us in, 6 gets us firmly on the bubble. Starts tonight, boys! Let's go SIOUX.

• Upvote 1

5 wins puts us very much on the bubble. Looks like most likely 14th or 15th. 15th would be the last spot in the tournament because the Atlantic Hockey champion is going to take the 16th spot. We would need there to be absolutely no upset champions in the conference tournaments in that case.

So I say lets take 6 or better still 7 or 8 :)

5 wins puts us very much on the bubble. Looks like most likely 14th or 15th. 15th would be the last spot in the tournament because the Atlantic Hockey champion is going to take the 16th spot. We would need there to be absolutely no upset champions in the conference tournaments in that case.

That's kinda the definition of "the bubble", isn't it?

Six wins puts us, in most scenarios, between 11 and 13. That's probably safe.

I would not at all be surprised if Mankato or Tech takes the WCHA tourney from Ferris. Odds are not in our favor at 14 or 15.

But...but...I thought the season was over?

Who are you quoting? Just GF? I am pleased as anyone else with tonight's performance but these were games we had to win... we did that now on to some real tests in my opinion. Now this team needs to show it is not the first team in 14 years that was too little too late.

Who are you quoting? Just GF? I am pleased as anyone else with tonight's performance but these were games we had to win... we did that now on to some real tests in my opinion. Now this team needs to show it is not the first team in 14 years that was too little too late.

I'm not directly quoting anybody...but the naysayers are awfully quiet tonight. #12 in the current PWR? Keep winning and UND is right where it wants to be...in the hunt.