SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Pairwise rankings

jimdahl

As I posted on collegehockeyranked, there's some new uncertainty in how to implement this year's revised RPI/PWR.

CHN has published their tables for the first time, noting that they're different from everyone else's, but that they're sure they're right.

I've been in communication with both them and USCHO, and I'm not sure there's going to be a quick resolution to this. So, for now, we probably shouldn't be treating anyone's PWR tables as quite so much a "fact" as we did in past years.

For now, SiouxSports' tables match USCHO, though I'll definitely watch both carefully and try to do some analysis as to how different the two techniques really are.

As I posted on collegehockeyranked, there's some new uncertainty in how to implement this year's revised RPI/PWR.

CHN has published their tables for the first time, noting that they're different from everyone else's, but that they're sure they're right.

I've been in communication with both them and USCHO, and I'm not sure there's going to be a quick resolution to this. So, for now, we probably shouldn't be treating anyone's PWR tables as quite so much a "fact" as we did in past years.

For now, SiouxSports' tables match USCHO, though I'll definitely watch both carefully and try to do some analysis as to how different the two techniques really are.

Thanks Jim, this stuff really interests me and I hope UND doesn't show up as making the tournament in one site's predictions and out in the other or Selection Sunday could be a nail-biter this year!

Which day will you put out UND's PWR predictions for this weekend? Made a nice jump while dormant last week, moving to #15.

So how do we find out who has the most accurate PWR? I like the ones that have UND in 14th... :)

UND PWR outlook with 10 games to go

The "end of regular season" chart moved exactly how it should have for a split since the last one.

The "one week" chart shows a lot of downside potential (which fits with the other chart's claim that UND needs to go 7/10 just to keep up with its current ranking or climb slightly).

undendofseason.png

undoneweek.png

Note that I'm still using the USCHO formula, because it's the one I had working first. Still working on the CHN formula.

UND PWR outlook with 10 games to go

The "end of regular season" chart moved exactly how it should have for a split since the last one.

The "one week" chart shows a lot of downside potential (which fits with the other chart's claim that UND needs to go 7/10 just to keep up with its current ranking or climb slightly).

undendofseason.png

undoneweek.png

Note that I'm still using the USCHO formula, because it's the one I had working first. Still working on the CHN formula.

What about two ties?

I have yet to see one this year, and I might not eh?

you've seen plenty-you watch the nhl and other college hockey. although that brings up a what if scenario, say und wins friday night and then wins a shootout on saturday, would they do a stick salute beings it wasn't a true sweep?

you've seen plenty-you watch the nhl and other college hockey. although that brings up a what if scenario, say und wins friday night and then wins a shootout on saturday, would they do a stick salute the traditional circle of sticks beings it wasn't a true sweep?

FYP

• Upvote 2