SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba's Staff: Who's it gonna be?.......and when?

Siouxperfan777

How is this put on Rudolph? He wasn't with them when they did this. They where all suspended until the University oked them back, and not all where welcomed back, not Rudolph. He didn't try bail them out, or hire lawyers for them.

It was some knuckle heads being just that.

He did bring those "knuckleheads" to Minot State. Pflugard wasn't with the Griz players at the time of their offenses either. Fair or not, ultimately, the head coach is somewhat responsible for his player's off-field actions. There's been many successful coaches that have gotten the boot because of player's off the field conduct.

I'm not saying Rudolph should've been fired or not, but he did recruit & bring those players to Minot, therefore he has some level of responsibility for their actions.

Worth pointing out that the Attempted Murder charge was dropped to an Aggravated Assault (think typical fight) almost immediately.

Except this fight involved beating a police officer unconscious....

Although no weapons were used, the fight got very violent, and Ili knocked one officer unconscious and left another with minor injuries before he was arrested, Klug said.

He did bring those "knuckleheads" to Minot State. Pflugard wasn't with the Griz players at the time of their offenses either. Fair or not, ultimately, the head coach is somewhat responsible for his player's off-field actions. There's been many successful coaches that have gotten the boot because of player's off the field conduct.

I'm not saying Rudolph should've been fired or not, but he did recruit & bring those players to Minot, therefore he has some level of responsibility for their actions.

First off...being in Minot...the attempted murder charge was dropped right away, and not everything that was reported happened as it was told. Second...the kid was a transfer that had no prior criminal record (might have been dumber than a box of rocks, but no record). A coach can't 100% vet out all the bad eggs, especially if there is no history. The move to D2 has sort of ended the recruiting of MN kids, as MSU was not able to get D2 quality players from the state due to the competition and distance. It's more than fair to say that Coach Rudy has uncomfortably stretched his recruiting territory in order to get MSU to be competitive, and with that these things happen. By and large it's an isolated incident from my time living in Minot.

All that being said, I don't love or hate the hire. It's certainly not flashy, but if he and Bubba have a good working relationship I don't think I really care where my OC has coached, as long as he can call a good game. Coach Vigen at NDSU never coached anywhere but, and (despite what some idiot NDSU fans have claimed), the guy calls a helluva ballgame, and is a real asset to coach Bohl. Rudy's been around the block, and I'm fairly confident he can get the job done at UND given his prior run at SCSU.

If this is the case zero football coaches would have a job. You can't put this on the coach, only judge how he handled the situation after it occured. He did bring in the recruits but has know way of knowing they would behave in this manor. I saw enough while at UND to believe rt and dl would be fired or not hirable with what some of the players did off the field if coaches are reaponsible for players off field antics. That being said, most of what I saw wasn't public knowledge or guys were not caught in the act.

Question- I assume Bubba will have final say on the position coaches but does a O or D cordinator generally hire the guys he wants to work work with for those spots or does the head coach put the guys he wants in those spots? I assume tomorrow we will see the names for the cordinators, wondering when we will have a full staff.

I'd like to see our Coordinators, as well as position coaches, have legitimate FCS experience. Especially since we have upped the Assistant's salary pool.

If we are top 4 or 5 in Big Sky assistant pay then we should be able to attract quality FCS-level assistants. Maybe Rudolph proves me wrong, IF hired, but DII does not excite me at all, the NCC days are over.

What's the difference between hiring a FCS 'position' coach as your coordinator and hiring a D2 Head Coach who has also been a D2 coordinator? Got news for you, UND is not getting an FCS coordinator to come to Grand Forks. And if they did steal one away, it would be from a lower FCS school. Is that what you want?

Born and raised in Minot. I am personal friends with probably 15 or so players that play at Minot State. Now I have no idea if these Rudolph rumors are true or not but what I can tell you is that Rudolph is extremely well regarded in the area by both fans and players. From talking with some of his current and former players, they tell me that Rudolph is an extremely good coach but uses a system them is highly complex for his current level of players. The biggest problem that they have had is finding a quarterback that can effectively execute his system.

I don't know if he would be the best fit for us but like I said he is highly regarded as both a coach and a man. I can honestly say that I have never had a single player, parent or school official say a negative word about the guy. Take that for what it is.

Reason to like it, He is everything that Coach Schweigert says he wants in a coach! I'll bet that he asked coach Thomas about him too. Has very limited resources at Minot State, I don't see them being very competitive in the Northern Sun for...........?

Is this for certain...link.