SiouxSports.com Forum

US vs Canada - Women's Hockey

BobIwabuchiFan

As I understand it, USA Hockey does not compensate the men's national team any more than the women's national team.  The difference, of course, is that the players on the men's team are on loan from their NHL club and obviously get paid handsomely by their NHL club.  But as it relates specifically to USA Hockey, the women's players are essentially asking USA Hockey to compensate them more than they do the men.  Am I correct in my understanding?  Because the way the media is portraying this, the average person thinks USA Hockey is paying the men more than the women.  When in reality, the women want special treatment from USA Hockey because, unlike the men, they don't have a professional club to pay them enough so that they can devote their life to training and playing hockey.

I can see them wanting some of the small benefits like paying for a guest to fly with to the tournament.  That is given to other teams.  

Benefits could be ramped up to even it out with other Olympic teams.  They lose me at the salary part, however.  

10 minutes ago, mksioux said:

As I understand it, USA Hockey does not compensate the men's national team any more than the women's national team.  The difference, of course, is that the players on the men's team are on loan from their NHL club and obviously get paid handsomely by their NHL club.  But as it relates specifically to USA Hockey, the women's players are essentially asking USA Hockey to compensate them more than they do the men.  Am I correct in my understanding?  Because the way the media is portraying this, the average person thinks USA Hockey is paying the men more than the women.  When in reality, the women want special treatment from USA Hockey because, unlike the men, they don't have a professional club to pay them enough so that they can devote their life to training and playing hockey.

That is how I see it as well. 

16 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

His crusade is getting old. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 4.50.09 PM.png

You'd think he'd write an article on this and get information on how much the men's and women's national teams are paid by USA Hockey, how much they make per game, and all the other things that have been brought up during this whole fiasco.

His last article on this just feels like he mailed it in.  

• Upvote 2

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, Siouxphan27 said:

I think the problem is the vast majority of people don't care if USA women's hockey is on the map or not.   So if the thrill of representing their country has worn off for some of the veterans, then maybe it's time to step down and give others a chance to play and represent. 

Well put.

5 hours ago, cberkas said:

Nice of Idalski to guilt trip his current players into not representing their country. Gotta keep the twins happy. 

• Upvote 1

I understand their concerns.  I agree that the "perks" that are given to the mens national team should also be given to the women's team.  Allowing guests to travel to games, flying first class, etc.  That's all USA hockey has to do.  In regards to compensation, they just need to match what the mens team is making (which I think is fairly close to what the women make, but again no one is asking that question).  The women essentially want USA hockey to be their employer and offer them pay and benefits.  Problem is, USA hockey is not an employer for hockey players.  And they have stated that. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I understand their concerns.  I agree that the "perks" that are given to the mens national team should also be given to the women's team.  Allowing guests to travel to games, flying first class, etc.  That's all USA hockey has to do.  In regards to compensation, they just need to match what the mens team is making (which I think is fairly close to what the women make, but again no one is asking that question).  The women essentially want USA hockey to be their employer and offer them pay and benefits.  Problem is, USA hockey is not an employer for hockey players.  And they have stated that. 

I haven't followed this closely enough to know what USA Hockey has really countered with. I'll save them all time and have them do what you have in bold (they could have for all I know).

Whatever the men currently receive as far as compensation / perks, match that. I know USA hockey has said that they are not an employer of hockey players, but they need to get this message out. We are offering everything the Men's team gets + extra pay for the 6 months prior to the Olympics. So, in fact the US Women's team is getting more than the Men as far as compensation goes. Keep telling everyone this until people finally get that what they are currently asking for is absurd.

Edit: This topic has really rubbed me the wrong way, when it became clear with their lists of demands that this was nothing more than a money grab. They waited until the time was just right and the hot topic was Women's pay and they exploited it. Anyone who takes a step back can clearly see that. At the end of the day, they will get their way, because too many people (Heitkamp, Hakstol, ect..) would rather have everyone tell them how brave they are for stepping up for such an important issue. People are always heroes when it comes to spending other peoples money. I'm not going to say they lost a fan, because like everyone else, I never cared to begin with. It's just disappointing to see how this played out.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, UND-1 said:

They don't produce hardly anything but that isn't the point.

The problem I have is they are masquerading as "women's rights crusaders" and "fighting for the future generations".  Yah, those things are on their list.  But the list starts with more money.  This is a money grab for the current players, first and foremost.  Then, as you move down the list it gets into training, equipment, support for youth teams, etc.  

The amount they are asking for is absurd.  68K to stay in shape and then go play in a two-week women's hockey tournament that 99.99% of the world doesn't know is happening, are you F'n kidding me?   Teachers make 40-60K and work their ass off for nine months.  

Agree with this post.

19 hours ago, tjl_48 said:

That was a terrible letter. I hate how is says the boys NTDP gets 3.5 millions spent on it but doesn't mention that money comes directly from the NHL to fund that team. Would have thought they would have done a little more fact checking before putting that out. 

This is no longer about facts, it is about feelings.  Like a previous poster said, the argument has been shaped that if you are against paying these players you are against women. 

USA Hockey will just increase our registrations to offset the increased cost.  The money has to come from somewhere.

16 hours ago, mksioux said:

That's the way I understand it.