SiouxSports.com Forum

US vs Canada - Women's Hockey

BobIwabuchiFan

39 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

They want to be paid to train for one event a year and one Olympics every four years.  The Men have the NHL so they don't care about training for the Olympics or Worlds, they just show up in shape already.

That is the difference.  The women act like this is their full time job and it's really not, but since they have nothing else to do (other than the NWHL, which is in trouble) they seem to want to get paid for staying in shape.  

Playing for your national team once a year is not a full-time job, sorry Lammy's.

Yes, I completely agree with this.  That's what I was saying.

I would like to be a painter....but it doesn't pay good so I'm in finance.  Deal with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not all heroes wear capes, some write for the GF Herald. What ends up bothering me about this is instead of taking a step back and looking at this subjectively, you have the likes of Schlossman, that need to be at the front line, fighting for "justice". Things that should matter, like lets say interest for a sport, are thrown out he window, because why should that matter?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

Not all heroes wear capes, some write for the GF Herald. What ends up bothering me about this is instead of taking a step back and looking at this subjectively, you have the likes of Schlossman, that need to be at the front line, fighting for "justice". Things that should matter, like lets say interest for a sport, are thrown out he window, because why should that matter?

Did Schloss ever comment much on the Oil drilling debacle?

Nothing worse than a sports writer getting all into their liberal politics.  He's not the only one...almost every hockey sports writer I follow is a bleeding liberal.  I'm fine with that...it's their choice.  However they seem to think just because they "report" that they are the experts and their opinions carry more weight than the rest our ours.  Which obviously couldn't be further from the truth.

Stick to sports writing.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

I am going to bump this because I edited it. If men create more revenue they should probably earn more, simple economics really.

What you are forgetting is that the men are largely professionals making good money, while the women are amateurs who don't have a professional league to make money in. By telling the women to, in effect, "put up and shut up", you are discouraging them from pursuing a spot on international teams (Olympic and IIHF). That will eventually translate into disappointing results on the international stage. And the first people to b!tch about it will be the same people who are telling the women to "put up and shut up".

The Olympics are supposed to be amateur, not professional. We should encourage the amateur aspect, not discourage it by telling our prospective athletes to "put up and shut up". For the record, I do not like having professional athletes in the Olympics, whether it be hockey, basketball or anything else. Just make all Olympic sports amateur only and that should level the playing field across the board.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Yes, I completely agree with this.  That's what I was saying.

I would like to be a painter....but it doesn't pay good so I'm in finance.  Deal with it.

Fine. But if the women decide to "deal with it" by walking and not playing, will you be on here b!tching about the United States performing poorly in international competition?

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Did Schloss ever comment much on the Oil drilling debacle?

Nothing worse than a sports writer getting all into their liberal politics.  He's not the only one...almost every hockey sports writer I follow is a bleeding liberal.  I'm fine with that...it's their choice.  However they seem to think just because they "report" that they are the experts and their opinions carry more weight than the rest our ours.  Which obviously couldn't be further from the truth.

Stick to sports writing.

I also don't like politics contaminating my sports coverage, but I haven't seen any political nonsense in Schlossman's articles. When he covers UND hockey, he covers UND hockey. I don't care what he does on his personal social media accounts on his own time.

And I think interjecting politics into this thread is a violation of forum guidelines.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Fine. But if the women decide to "deal with it" by walking and not playing, will you be on here b!tching about the United States performing poorly in international competition?

No.  Find others who will play....I'm sure they'll come out.

I'm not against women's hockey....quite the opposite.  Some on here call to get rid of UND's women's program, I don't agree with that at all.  What I am saying, is that these women shouldn't receive large sums of money for playing for their country.  

In all honesty, I would have to receive more info.  I have no idea if $1k/mo is too little or not.  What I am saying is that they shouldn't receive a ton of money when (currently) they don't generate a ton of money.  Who is going to pay for the increase (because they will obviously get some sort of increase which obviously won't be enough...but they'll play).

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What you are forgetting is that the men are largely professionals making good money, while the women are amateurs who don't have a professional league to make money in. By telling the women to, in effect, "put up and shut up", you are discouraging them from pursuing a spot on international teams (Olympic and IIHF). That will eventually translate into disappointing results on the international stage. And the first people to b!tch about it will be the same people who are telling the women to "put up and shut up".

The Olympics are supposed to be amateur, not professional. We should encourage the amateur aspect, not discourage it by telling our prospective athletes to "put up and shut up". For the record, I do not like having professional athletes in the Olympics, whether it be hockey, basketball or anything else. Just make all Olympic sports amateur only and that should level the playing field across the board.

The Olympics are pretty much all pro athletes.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I also don't like politics contaminating my sports coverage, but I haven't seen any political nonsense in Schlossman's articles. When he covers UND hockey, he covers UND hockey. I don't care what he does on his personal social media accounts on his own time.

And I think interjecting politics into this thread is a violation of forum guidelines.

1. Follow him on twitter

2. You're right, I'm off it.  However, this subject lends itself to political discussions.

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

1. Follow him on twitter

2. You're right, I'm off it.  However, this subject lends itself to political discussions.

He has been on the concussion thing for awhile and he's starting to make it personal. I agree the concussion issue needs to be looked at. 

He's been making things a personal vendetta and it gets old after awhile.

27 minutes ago, AJS said:

Shlossman?  What happened to Virg Foss?

14 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

No.  Find others who will play....I'm sure they'll come out.

I'm not against women's hockey....quite the opposite.  Some on here call to get rid of UND's women's program, I don't agree with that at all.  What I am saying, is that these women shouldn't receive large sums of money for playing for their country.  

In all honesty, I would have to receive more info.  I have no idea if $1k/mo is too little or not.  What I am saying is that they shouldn't receive a ton of money when (currently) they don't generate a ton of money.  Who is going to pay for the increase (because they will obviously get some sort of increase which obviously won't be enough...but they'll play).

If you don't have the best athletes your country has to offer, you are going to struggle.

If athletes cannot afford to take time off to play in international competition, they simply won't play.

There is no getting around those two things.

Sponsorship is what drives the USOC and, presumably, the various individual sports' operations.  Sell more sponsorships, have more money.  If sponsors aren't willing to fund full cost of participation (i.e., off-year training, living, travel, etc.), then what are you going to do?

Is the allegation here that USA Hockey is mismanaging its money?  If so, put all the cards out there.  Otherwise, you can only get so far by squeezing them.

Very few Olympic athletes are living the high life.  Many of them are staked by hometown benefactors.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Sponsorship is what drives the USOC and, presumably, the various individual sports' operations.  Sell more sponsorships, have more money.  If sponsors aren't willing to fund full cost of participation (i.e., off-year training, living, travel, etc.), then what are you going to do?

Is the allegation here that USA Hockey is mismanaging its money?  If so, put all the cards out there.  Otherwise, you can only get so far by squeezing them.

Very few Olympic athletes are living the high life.  Many of them are staked by hometown benefactors.

I know the IOC is corrupt to the core, as is International soccer. I certainly hope USA Hockey is not.

17 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

1. Follow him on twitter

Not sure how US Women's Hockey wanting more money lends itself to a left vs right political discussion.

I mean if you wanna stretch it sure, but you can take any subject and warp it into relating to politics indirectly.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

No, it's simply that the USA Women's hockey team believes they should get more money

The only time many people (including myself) watch women's hockey that doesn't involve a friend or family member is the Olympics.  That's a good talking point for them to argue for better pay.  1k a month is pretty paltry. Doubling it won't break the bank. 25k x 12 months is an extra 300k a year.  It'll be more expensive if they wind up being represented by something similar to (or by) the NHLPA.

• Upvote 1

Just now, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The only time many people (including myself) watch women's hockey that doesn't involve a friend or family member is the Olympics.  That's a good talking point for them to argue for better pay.  1k a month is pretty paltry. Doubling it won't break the bank. 25k x 12 months is an extra 300k a year.  It'll be more expensive if they wind up being represented by something similar to (or by) the NHLPA.

Gotta have the money first.

There are always going to be people who either don't need the money or for whom representing their country is worth the sacrifice.  I don't see much leverage here for current athletes, organized or not.  Our local/regional regard for the team is greatly skewed (and rightfully so, pride being what it is) but simply does not exist anywhere else in the country.  Lamoureux is not a household name for most of the country.

Also, there's no Title IX-esque requirement that USA Hockey field a women's team in the first place.  So is there not some peril here if the team pushes too hard?