SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Bowling Green

UNDsportsFANATIC

They have the occasional head-turning team (2011), but more often than not, they aren't anything special. FB comes first, second and third at Notre Dame, with everything else way behind. If you want to call it a signature win because of Notre Dame's nationally prominent brand, that's fine. But it's not nearly as impressive as beating Wisconsin or Marquette.

well duh. those were top 15 teams

half to call you out here. of course its a signature win. theyre a perennial ncaa and top 25 team normally. they havent done anything special in the dance but they were a 2 seed a couple seasons ago. as far as this season making the dance for them remains to be seen but we'll see how they end up

Very good win for NDSU, not disagreeing on that at all, definitely a game they were the underdog in. But what makes it a "signature win"? I'm honestly curious on how that is defined. Notre Dame isn't even getting a single vote in either of the top 25 polls (Coach's or AP).

And the year Notre Dame was a 2 seed, they lost the first weekend, not a real proud moment for them.

Our FBS wins suck...our win vs an ACC team in basketball sucks...our JV FCS national titles suck....I guess it is easy to say these things suck when you haven't accomplished a single one of these things.

I don't believe I said any of those things, don't put words in my mouth, even though it's one of the few things you are really good at. :glare:

All I said was that Notre Dame is not a marquee program in Men's BB and that is the plain and simple truth. I will give you credit for the FBS wins and the FCS national titles (despite the obnoxious nature of your fan base), but I am not going to buy the notion that beating Notre Dame in Men's BB is some sort of huge milestone in your program's D-I existence. Beat a team like Kansas and then I'll give you all the props you want.

I don't believe I said any of those things, don't put words in my mouth, even though it's one of the few things you are really good at. :glare:

All I said was that Notre Dame is not a marquee program in Men's BB and that is the plain and simple truth. I will give you credit for the FBS wins and the FCS national titles (despite the obnoxious nature of your fan base), but I am not going to buy the notion that beating Notre Dame in Men's BB is some sort of huge milestone in your program's D-I existence. Beat a team like Kansas and then I'll give you all the props you want.

Well they are things I have read here and they are a bit bizarre because if any of them happened to UND you guys would be going crazy and rightfully so.

Notre Dame is 246-10 at home since 2006-2007(4th best in the NCAA) and they've been in the big dance the past 4 seasons. Add on the fact the game was on ESPNU and it is a big deal. It isn't Wisconsin or Marquette big but it is big nonetheless.

Very good win for NDSU, not disagreeing on that at all, definitely a game they were the underdog in. But what makes it a "signature win"? I'm honestly curious on how that is defined. Notre Dame isn't even getting a single vote in either of the top 25 polls (Coach's or AP).

And the year Notre Dame was a 2 seed, they lost the first weekend, not a real proud moment for them.

i would say because of how good they usually are and it was a game we werent supposed to win. if we make the dance it will be a win the committee looks at and could be the difference between a 12/13 seed

Well they are things I have read here and they are a bit bizarre because if any of them happened to UND you guys would be going crazy and rightfully so.

Notre Dame is 246-10 at home since 2006-2007(4th best in the NCAA) and they've been in the big dance the past 4 seasons. Add on the fact the game was on ESPNU and it is a big deal. It isn't Wisconsin or Marquette big but it is big nonetheless.

If you are talking media exposure, it definitely is a big win. I was simply pointing out that the Irish are not known for their greatness in Men's BB. And making the NCAA tournament is not exactly like getting a BCS Bowl bid; look how many teams there are. Just getting into that tournament doesn't necessarily prove greatness.

I agree with you on BG, but don't pump up beating Notre Dame in Men's BB as any kind of "signature" win for NDSU. Notre Dame sucks in Men's BB; I don't think they have ever done anything special in that sport. If they beat Notre Dame in Women's BB, that would be a big deal, as the Irish women's team is pretty good. And if they ever beat them in FB, well.......we would never hear the end of that. :crazy:

Like others on here, I am now not as excited about the Men's BB team as I was. Looks like the same tired old broken record. :sad:

Wow. I don't even

After getting swept at the Oregon tournament. I think Faison just needs to keep cleaning house. Jones never seems to have a good game plan.

Did Faison hire Jones? Lacking the effort to look it up, who has Faison hired during his tenure? I've seen posts giving him credit for hires, thus trusting him on the current football hire. He didn't hire Hakstol, didn't hire Mussman (although he did give him an extension), again not sure on Jones. In looking at the big 3 sports during Faison's tenure, is there a "signature" win? I honestly can't think of one! I guess since NDSU beat Notre Dame tonight, and UND crushed NDSU...that's the signature win.

I don't know how many minutes Calcaterra played but he didn't have a single rebound. That is absolutely pathetic to get that lack of production out of your starting center. The only thing he did on the stat sheet was get a couple of fouls. That's brutal. Not to mention his backup, Traylor didn't record a rebound either. I'm not sure who said it earlier but they were spot on when saying we miss Brekke. We miss him more than I ever realized before. Hopefully Cashman gives us something there next year if he doesn't redshirt. When can we get a good big man!?

have to call you out here. of course its a signature win. theyre a perennial ncaa and top 25 team normally. they havent done anything special in the dance but they were a 2 seed a couple seasons ago. as far as this season making the dance for them remains to be seen but we'll see how they end up

I agree with your comment. Pretty neat to go into Notre Dame and beat them. Hard place to play. If UND would beat almost anybody on the road I would be excited.. Congrats to su!

Here's what I know...our flagship program hockey hasn't won a natty since my oldest daughter was born. Our FB team has no FBS win and our MBB team has no real signature win either.

The AC MBB just beat the Irish, have beaten WI and Marquette and have made the Dance. Their FB team IMO will win its 3 straight NC.

Our VB coach was just let go for being irresponsible at best and our AD is struggling to pick chocolate or vanilla ice cream as he stands at the counter for a month waiting to hear which FB coach app has the most "points" from the HR dept.

Put down your stones and keep your mouths shut about anything SU has done in FB or MBB as UND has not done dick to this point in D1 in either sport.

• Upvote 2

I agree with you on BG, but don't pump up beating Notre Dame in Men's BB as any kind of "signature" win for NDSU. Notre Dame sucks in Men's BB; I don't think they have ever done anything special in that sport. If they beat Notre Dame in Women's BB, that would be a big deal, as the Irish women's team is pretty good. And if they ever beat them in FB, well.......we would never hear the end of that. :crazy:

Like others on here, I am now not as excited about the Men's BB team as I was. Looks like the same tired old broken record. :sad:

That is a ludicrous comment. Whether Notre Dame is overly talented or not, this was another example of SU winning a highly visible game that they weren't expected to win. That statement can't be made about a UND football or men's BB program in many years. Although I hate to say it, hats off to the Bison!

If NDSU came to the Betty this weekend, UND would win again. Great at home, terrible on the road. Facts of life.

If the game was at BSA, UND would lose by 20 30.

So if something doesn't change, UND is looking at 10-10/11-9 in conference, maybe a 5/6 tourney seed? Not what anyone here expects, more importantly, not the expectations that the team has of themselves. Hope they can pull it together on the road soon.

My point is that they are not a consistent basketball power year in and year out like Duke, North Carolina, etc. I don't think they are even ranked right now. When you think Notre Dame, you think FB, you don't think Men's BB. As for making the NCAA tournament 31 times, that doesn't necessarily speak to greatness, considering how many spots are available. NDSU beating Wisconsin in Men's BB was a much bigger accomplishment than beating Notre Dame in Men's BB.

Put UND in NDSU's place last night...Irish win by 25.

And if NDSU traveled to Miami tonight and beat the Heat, your first comment would be 'yea, well Dwayne Wade isn't a third of the player he used to be - I'm still not impressed.'

So if something doesn't change, UND is looking at 10-10/11-9 in conference, maybe a 5/6 tourney seed? Not what anyone here expects, more importantly, not the expectations that the team has of themselves. Hope they can pull it together on the road soon.

UND won 6 road conference games last year. Non-conference, nope. They will be just fine in the Big Sky.

UND drops their fifth in a row while NDSU beats Notre Dame of the ACC??

That win back on the 24th of November means nothing now. There's no reason this team should be this bad. I'm sure they'll compete well in conference play, but if they can't beat out of conference opponents, what does it matter. They'll likely finish 3rd or 2nd in the conference standings and it will be over. If they do win the conference tournament, they'll likely be a 15 seed and get blown out by a top 10 school.

So much for the optimism at this point. Hopefully the team improves. I hate the fact they've declined since the NDSU game while NDSU has only improved improved since then.

Another scary issue is that, at this point, we will go into next season with a couple of decent guards and no accomplished forwards or big men. It could be very ugly for the next few years!

Notre Dame is 246-10 at home since 2006-2007(4th best in the NCAA)...

Big East basketball sucks...UConn, Georgetown, Villanova, Syracuse, Marquette...those teams all suck. They lost 10 games at home. Call me when NDSU beats a team that went 256-0 at home since 2006-2007 and I might be impressed.

• Upvote 1

Another scary issue is that, at this point, we will go into next season with a couple of decent guards and no accomplished forwards or big men. It could be very ugly for the next few years!

Settle down guys. You sound like BV after UND kicked six different kinds of dogsh*t out of them. Now they won a few in a row and everything is top of the world again. UND will win again too. Starting with SDSU.

• Upvote 1