SiouxSports.com Forum

Volleyball Coaching Search

SWSiouxMN

Instead of talking about this over in the Hardee thread, I figured a separate thread to discuss this would apply.

I threw my support behind the Concordia St. Paul volleyball coach Brady Starkey. Who do you think should end up with the job?

Starkey seems like a great candidate. I'm quite surprised he's stayed at Concordia-St. Paul for 11 years given his incredible record. Is he just that happy there, or has he been up for other dI jobs in the past but not been hired?

EDIT: This article from the Strib a few years ago addresses the question of whether he is interested in a dI job: http://www.startribu.../129275878.html

That might make him a future candidate for a Division I job, but he's not sure he wants one. Starkey said he would consider most D-I schools a lateral move, and he isn't interested in taking a higher-profile job just to feed his ego.

Besides, he said, there are plenty of reasons to stay. His entire family lives in the Twin Cities.

While it would great to land him, it sounds like it might be tough to lure him away from the cities.

I mentioned this over on the other thread, but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Dan Brown (current associate head coach). He's been working with Hardee at UND since 2010, so he's familiar with Hardee's system, and knows how to recruit (serves as recruiting coordinator) the players for it. Under Hardee, he served as the defensive coordinator, which Hardee always said (paraphrasing) "we want to use our defense to create offense." He also has been exposed to U of Minnesota VB (a perennial power) through a volunteer assitant coach position. These girls are his players, and giving them some stability after what just happened I think is paramount.

I mentioned this over on the other thread, but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Dan Brown (current associate head coach). He's been working with Hardee at UND since 2010, so he's familiar with Hardee's system, and knows how to recruit (serves as recruiting coordinator) the players for it. Under Hardee, he served as the defensive coordinator, which Hardee always said (paraphrasing) "we want to use our defense to create offense." He also has been exposed to U of Minnesota VB (a perennial power) through a volunteer assitant coach position. These girls are his players, and giving them some stability after what just happened I think is paramount.

Wouldn't rule this out, though I'm curious with the announced defections (with more possible?) if the issue was a playing time one or something else. From what was announced so far, I'm leaning towards the former. Its seems who the coach thought was better was the one who played regardless of age. Tough to argue with the results, but who knows what actually happened.

Wouldn't rule this out, though I'm curious with the announced defections (with more possible?) if the issue was a playing time one or something else. From what was announced so far, I'm leaning towards the former. Its seems who the coach thought was better was the one who played regardless of age. Tough to argue with the results, but who knows what actually happened.

If there were problems with "the system," it wasn't obvious on the floor. Who knows what might come out later, but my perception (as a fan, with no insider information) is that overall the core of the team was satisfied with the way they were coached. Our roster is huge, with many players only seeing time when the set/game/match was already decided. The fact that some would decided it's not worth it is not a surprise to me.

• 3 weeks later...

WDAZ just had a story on the Volleyball coach applicants. One is the recently dismissed coach from Ole Miss. Amazing that the position is viewed well enough that a former SEC head coach is among the applicants. Should mean that the program continues to move in a positive direction.

Well UND is ranked higher then Old Miss, Alabama is a power house in football but in everything else they're average.

Who else applied?

edit: found the list so far, Brown did apply for the job as well as these people

Former Northern Arizona and San Jose State head coach Henry Choate.

- Former Ole Miss head coach Joe Getzin. -

Former Georgia State head coach Tami Audia. -

Baylor associate head coach Mark Pryor. -

Utah State associate head coach Jeremiah Larsen. -

Colorado-Boulder assistant coach J.T. Wenger. -

Southern University at New Orleans head coach Naomi Washington. -

Winthrop assistant coach Michael King. -

East Carolina assistant coach Brandon Crisp -

Radford assistant coach Christopher Hertel. -

Chadron State assistant coach Jenna Jester. -

Murray State assistant coach Dongping Fang. -

North Texas volunteer assistant coach Geno Frugoli. -

North Texas associate head coach Albert Givens. -

Arkansas-Fort Smith assistant coach Matthew Waack. -

Southern Maine head coach Thomas Gardner. -

SUNY at Buffalo assistant coach James Goodridge. -

Huron Valley head coach Eric Stark. -

Antonio Cortese, former head coach of youth teams in Rome, Italy. -

Patricia Melfy, head coach at Gilbert (AZ) High School. -

Covance Mortimer, former head coach at St. Augustine's (NC). -

Ashley Ziegle, graduate assistant at Concord (WV). -

Robert Hadaway, former head coach at William Woods (MO) -

Dardo Olivera, stock investor, Ogden, UT. -

Henry Hauger, hardware salesman, Yankton, SD.

How does a hardware salesman and stock investor serious get involved... I might as well apply..... geez

Who else applied?

edit: found the list so far, Brown did apply for the job as well as these people

Former Northern Arizona and San Jose State head coach Henry Choate.

- Former Ole Miss head coach Joe Getzin. -

Former Georgia State head coach Tami Audia. -

Baylor associate head coach Mark Pryor. -

Utah State associate head coach Jeremiah Larsen. -

Colorado-Boulder assistant coach J.T. Wenger. -

Southern University at New Orleans head coach Naomi Washington. -

Winthrop assistant coach Michael King. -

East Carolina assistant coach Brandon Crisp -

Radford assistant coach Christopher Hertel. -

Chadron State assistant coach Jenna Jester. -

Murray State assistant coach Dongping Fang. -

North Texas volunteer assistant coach Geno Frugoli. -

North Texas associate head coach Albert Givens. -

Arkansas-Fort Smith assistant coach Matthew Waack. -

Southern Maine head coach Thomas Gardner. -

SUNY at Buffalo assistant coach James Goodridge. -

Huron Valley head coach Eric Stark. -

Antonio Cortese, former head coach of youth teams in Rome, Italy. -

Patricia Melfy, head coach at Gilbert (AZ) High School. -

Covance Mortimer, former head coach at St. Augustine's (NC). -

Ashley Ziegle, graduate assistant at Concord (WV). -

Robert Hadaway, former head coach at William Woods (MO) -

Dardo Olivera, stock investor, Ogden, UT. -

Henry Hauger, hardware salesman, Yankton, SD.

How does a hardware salesman and stock investor serious get involved... I might as well apply..... geez

copy and paste and printed in the herald about 48 hours later...

nice work btw

• Upvote 1

I am intrigued by Mark Pryor from Baylor. Baylor has seemed to have great luck with coaching hires throughout their sports program so he comes from a winning atmosphere athletic department wide. He appears to have moved a fair bit, but almost always to better jobs and seems to have spurred improvement everywhere he went. Also like that he spent some time with USA Volleyball, so there are probably some useful connections there.