SiouxSports.com Forum

What's bothering you today?

Goon

I was under the impression that WDAZ produced the broadcast, but I don't think they owned the equipment to uplink the hockey broadcasts. I think that was (probably still is) owned by the REA. And I don't think that the existing SD equipment is able to uplink HD broadcasts. I don't know who owned the cameras and other production equipment. In the past the hockey broadcasts were a joint venture between WDAZ, UND and Midcontinent. It was never just WDAZ responsible for the entire broadcast.

I can't say for sure because I don't know. I do know there was a satellite truck on the south end of the Ralph that you won't see there any longer.

I can't say for sure because I don't know. I do know there was a satellite truck on the south end of the Ralph that you won't see there any longer.

If it was outsourced, then WDAZ doesn't have it. And we go back to the cost of HD equipment. But none of this really matters because WDAZ couldn't put together a bid that was big enough to compete with the Midcontinent bid. WDAZ buying HD equipment for their newsroom has absolutely nothing to do with their ability to or their interest in buying HD equipment to broadcast University of North Dakota athletics.

If it was outsourced, then WDAZ doesn't have it. And we go back to the cost of HD equipment. But none of this really matters because WDAZ couldn't put together a bid that was big enough to compete with the Midcontinent bid. WDAZ buying HD equipment for their newsroom has absolutely nothing to do with their ability to or their interest in buying HD equipment to broadcast University of North Dakota athletics.

Curious how kvly can afford to do all bison football games in hd but forum communications couldn't snag und.

Curious how kvly can afford to do all bison football games in hd but forum communications couldn't snag und.

6 NDSU home football games, most broadcast during Saturday daytime hours, is a lot different than 20 home hockey games broadcast during evening hours when the stations are contracted to broadcast the network prime time programming. Television stations can only preempt network prime time programming so often before they risk losing their contract with the network. The situations are completely different. Forum Communications would have had to create a whole new channel to broadcast all of those UND hockey games.

Good for you. Wdaz produced the broadcast for years. Just saying they are capable of putting the signal up there minus maybe a few hd cameras and a few other pieces of equipment. Fta or not.

I never doubted they were capable of putting the signal out there. Most stations don't own their own HD sat truck. Even in larger cities, most companies just rent. Especially for sports broadcasting, there are companies that handle just the sat uplink aspect of the broadcast. You don't just add a couple hd cameras and a few other pieces of equipment and suddenly you're making HD tv. We did it on the cheap for the 100k and we have at least 20 pieces of HD specific equipment in the trailer alone. I haven't been inside Midco's HD trailer but I've seen pictures. It's a legit trailer. It easily rivals what Altitude, Root Sports Rocky Mountain, and CBSSports Network have (I have been in those trucks). No way any of those trailers were even close to $400,000. That's a lot of money for a company in Grand Forks/Fargo that isn't pulling in cash like crazy.

It most likely has to do with the history of the stations (ownership groups). KVLY has been doing broadcasts for years (think state hockey tournament, etc). WDAY/Z haven't been doing it nearly as long. However, when Forum Comm got into the live sports industry, they most likely had just purchased a fairly new SD setup. Having worked at KVLY, they were using their very old equipment even up until at least 2007. It was likely much easier for them to buy HD equipment because they hadn't recently invested in SD, like Forum Comm had.

6 NDSU home football games, most broadcast during Saturday daytime hours, is a lot different than 20 home hockey games broadcast during evening hours when the stations are contracted to broadcast the network prime time programming. Television stations can only preempt network prime time programming so often before they risk losing their contract with the network. The situations are completely different. Forum Communications would have had to create a whole new channel to broadcast all of those UND hockey games.

They're airing more than six games....they are also doing 4 away games this year for ndsu football, all pre-emptingregular programming. Also they announced last week that they'd air at least ten ndsu men's/women's bball games as well - most on their me tv channel and a couple also being on the NBC channel. You also need to remember that forum puts up the cw channel which could be pre-empted if needed, like hoak is using me tv.

Maybe it's not possible. But this is what bugs me today. Ndsu football exposure bypassing und hockey.

Effff it......its over..

The man the myth the Legend The stache...The Sweeney...its gone.

Its just a repetitive failire from fargo butchering hockey games in glorious HD now......

And thats whats bothering me today.

That's what UND is missing with the losses of Lennon and Sweeney. We need Muss and Hammer to grow mustaches.

• Upvote 1

our tv contract is way sub par to ndsu football

we used to be on top

but the king negotiater who got us this awesome cbs sports deal should be a used car seller!

UND gets paid for their tv contract, ndsu loses money on theirs. UND games, other than hockey, are still being picked up by FCS and broadcast nationally. Ndsu is broadcasted in North Dakota and small portions of western Minnesota and northern South Dakota. As has been said multiple times, Faison was just one vote out of 8 on the CBS deal and he was the only person to vote against it. Is the CBS deal awful? Yes, but UND has little to no control over that.

• Upvote 1

They're airing more than six games....they are also doing 4 away games this year for ndsu football, all pre-emptingregular programming. Also they announced last week that they'd air at least ten ndsu men's/women's bball games as well - most on their me tv channel and a couple also being on the NBC channel. You also need to remember that forum puts up the cw channel which could be pre-empted if needed, like hoak is using me tv.

Maybe it's not possible. But this is what bugs me today. Ndsu football exposure bypassing und hockey.

How many of these games are on prime time? The networks have different standards for prime time versus daytime. The networks put very severe limits on how often local affiliates can preempt prime time programming, they are less strict about preempting daytime programming. I don't know how the CW and ME networks stand on preempting prime time programming. My guess is that the CW has similar standards to the major networks.

But again, none of this matters. WDAZ and Forum Communications didn't put in a large enough bid to win the contract. It doesn't matter why they didn't, or if they could have. Midcontinent put in the larger bid and they won. That was more than a year ago and it isn't going to change for another 3 1/2 years.

How many of these games are on prime time? The networks have different standards for prime time versus daytime. The networks put very severe limits on how often local affiliates can preempt prime time programming, they are less strict about preempting daytime programming. I don't know how the CW and ME networks stand on preempting prime time programming. My guess is that the CW has similar standards to the major networks.

But again, none of this matters. WDAZ and Forum Communications didn't put in a large enough bid to win the contract. It doesn't matter why they didn't, or if they could have. Midcontinent put in the larger bid and they won. That was more than a year ago and it isn't going to change for another 3 1/2 years.

I understand it's not changing any time soon. And aren't Saturday afternoon's considered prime time for college football? NBC has a deal with Notre dame worth big bucks. How many of their games have been pre-empted for bison football? The way it sounds to me is ndsu negotiated higher exposure by paying for it. Und just went for the payday.

I understand it's not changing any time soon. And aren't Saturday afternoon's considered prime time for college football? NBC has a deal with Notre dame worth big bucks. How many of their games have been pre-empted for bison football? The way it sounds to me is ndsu negotiated higher exposure by paying for it. Und just went for the payday.

Major difference in prime time TV (the hours between 7 and 10 pm) and prime college football time. The networks make more money on prime time than they do on college football. They set advertising prices based on viewership. If the affiliate preempts programming then the networks don't get credited for viewership. The networks aren't going to drop an affiliate for preempting college football. They have dropped affiliates for preempting too much prime time programming. The networks give a little leeway for special events, that's how the affiliates get away with broadcasting high school state tournaments. But there isn't a network that would let an affiliate get away with 20 nights of hockey games, not to mention any of the other sporting events.

As far as I can tell, NDSU hasn't had anyone offer to pay them for TV rights, at least not a substantial amount. They had trouble getting anything on TV a few years ago when UND was starting to get games on regularly. That's why they started doing their own thing. They have just expanded the number of games they are doing on their own. They haven't been given a choice of payday versus exposure.