SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Webcast

siouxfan512

There was a poster that posted his Midco TV HD was jittery as well, so it probably was not the webcasts problem. Felt almost like the camera man was shooting from a bicycle while driving over ties between railroad rails.

The jitteryness was more noticeble on a big screen than in a small box player.

After reading all comments it would appear the problems are midco's, and not neulions.

I had to watch the game in the small window the whole time. This was in Internet Explorer on Windows 7 on a laptop. I didn't try another browser, though I probably should have. I've never had issues with IE so it rarely crosses my mind to try a different browser.

I would recommend never using IE to stream any video. As others have mentioned, Google Chrome is usually your best option. Firefox also does a decent job, although I've found it crashes a bit more often than it should.

I watched the game in replay last night. I finished it at about 2am central time so at this time on a Sunday night you would be looking at very low network and server demand..

The feed wasn't too bad. It was not as good as I would have hoped but it was better than last year for sure. In the third period the game started to get these little freeze moments that lasted for about .3 second each and they occurred with a frequency of about one every 5 seconds. The game was still watchable but a it was a little vexing having those pauses..

I tried to watch the full game today again to see if the same thing happened but it isn't playing??

Goon, a Nook is consider more of an ereader than tablet. To answers your questions, I'd probably say no.

The Nook HD and Nook HD+ are tablets much like the Kindle Fire. Both Amazon and B&N came out with after the popularity of other tablets.

Only problem that I had was the webcast was that it was a little shaky and the delay was bad.

Should I be able to stream the mens hockey games live to my iphone? If so how is this done as I could not find anywhere to view the game on the UND iphone app with the in-app uprade installed?

As Jason has said several times, the Iphone app is not ready yet. They are working on it.

I had the same issues others reported with regards to the "skippyness" and buffering. I was using a 6 year old HP Pavilion laptop connected to a DVD recorder via s-video, which in turn was connected to the LED TV via HDMI, so I also attribute my issues to this. I read on another thread that someone used an item called "Chromecast", so I ordered it. I have a newer desktop computer, so perhaps streaming to the Chromecast will resolve some of my issues.

Watched the game on Midco HDTV (channel 622) here in Bemidji. TV broadcast pixelated numerous times throughout the night - about every 10 minutes or so. All of Midco's live HD sports broadcasts (i.e. SDSU/NDSU football) have done this - and that game in particular was unwatchable and had to switch to channel 26 and watch in SD.

Neulion is moving away from Flash to HTML5, which will allow all UND Insider programming to be viewed through tablet browsers. It is currently in the test phase and should be available in the near future.

Good news! iPad thru Apple TV baby!

I ended up turning the game off as the stream was pretty bad here in Los Angeles. Seemed to freeze and jump every few min watching live or going back a few minutes. When it worked the picture was great. No issues streaming other HD programing.

As Jason has said several times, the Iphone app is not ready yet. They are working on it.

No. As you were..

He stated many times that the iPAD app was not ready yet.

Up to game time it WAS printed and expressed that the mobile option to include iphone and android would work.

On the live chat Matt commented that they had no idea why the IPHONE app was not working and appologized yet offered no solution.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't able to watch live so I just finished watching a replay. It was pretty much unwatchable. Only about 10% was in real time - the rest was slow motion and lots of 2 or 3 second skips in the action. I noticed that someone said don't use IE so I will try with Chrome and see if that helps. The only bright spot was the picture was great - very clear and crisp and great color. I am hoping to hook up my PC to my TV to watch future games but there is no point in doing that unless I can get a much better feed.

I was actually referring to feedback on the webcast, since that's what the thread was titled, but if there were broadcast issues, I guess we can include that too.

I had an issue with the TV broadcast. It wasn't available to me.......................... :glare:

I would recommend never using IE to stream any video. As others have mentioned, Google Chrome is usually your best option.

Interesting problem I have. I stream alot of sports via a dedicated PC with HDMI output to my TV. Used to have lots of trouble with IE, so I switched to Chrome. Problem solved. Except for UNDsports.com. Can't watch anything through Chrome on that site, only IE. And even then, to call it watchable, would be stretching it. I still haven't gotten to watch a single UND Sports Extra, or North Dakota Hockey episode this year, because I don't have 2 hours available to watch a 24 minute show.

Of course it is obviously on "my end". But I have the fastest internet available to me at this time. I have little trouble streaming anything that doesn't originate from UNDSports.com....................

• Upvote 1

I had an issue with the TV broadcast. It wasn't available to me.......................... :glare:

Interesting problem I have. I stream alot of sports via a dedicated PC with HDMI output to my TV. Used to have lots of trouble with IE, so I switched to Chrome. Problem solved. Except for UNDsports.com. Can't watch anything through Chrome on that site, only IE. And even then, to call it watchable, would be stretching it. I still haven't gotten to watch a single UND Sports Extra, or North Dakota Hockey episode this year, because I don't have 2 hours available to watch a 24 minute show.

Of course it is obviously on "my end". But I have the fastest internet available to me at this time. I have little trouble streaming anything that doesn't originate from UNDSports.com....................

I just tried Chrome. It seemed to work better than IE but still lots of the same problems. I was able to get more real-time action but too much slow motion and skipping 2 or 3 seconds. Still unwatchable.

It should have been expected that people would wonder their options for viewing und hockey, especially now the season is upon us. You can't expect that every fan interested in viewing on tv or the Internet has read every post of every viewing option thread on this site.

Suggestion for you jayson.....you've done a great job of explaining to us on this site, but undsports.com should have a central location with viewing options....maybe you already do but info on the site is limited to me since I'm on my iPhone??? Ex. "If you have midco tv, watch und sports on x channel. For nationally televised games see CBS sports link for televised CBS sn games. If you live outside midco's footprint or don't receive midcosn und home games can be viewed here(link). Webcasts do not currently work on apple products(iPad and iPhone), please clear the cache from your browser prior to viewing, please use google chrome, and we reccomend chrome cast or an hdmi cable to view on your hd tv. Operating system requirements are xxxx. And please call xxx-xxx-xxxx for assistance with the web service"

Maybe I'm missing something. Now that I look at it all that it's a lot to do! Only for some die hard fans though. Just seems like a ton of hoops to jump through.

Miami uses neulion, and their webcasts run perfectly. Maybe UND should check with some technology savvy people there?

Of course midco is apparently still learning how to run their own station. Maybe they need to check with Fox Sports or some experienced professionals on how to run a TV channel. Kind of reminds of that victory one channel that made such a mess of things during an NCAA tourney a few years back, then promptly folded and disappeared forever.

It should have been expected that people would wonder their options for viewing und hockey, especially now the season is upon us. You can't expect that every fan interested in viewing on tv or the Internet has read every post of every viewing option thread on this site.

Suggestion for you jayson.....you've done a great job of explaining to us on this site, but undsports.com should have a central location with viewing options....maybe you already do but info on the site is limited to me since I'm on my iPhone??? Ex. "If you have midco tv, watch und sports on x channel. For nationally televised games see CBS sports link for televised CBS sn games. If you live outside midco's footprint or don't receive midcosn und home games can be viewed here(link). Webcasts do not currently work on apple products(iPad and iPhone), please clear the cache from your browser prior to viewing, please use google chrome, and we reccomend chrome cast or an hdmi cable to view on your hd tv. Operating system requirements are xxxx. And please call xxx-xxx-xxxx for assistance with the web service"

Maybe I'm missing something. Now that I look at it all that it's a lot to do! Only for some die hard fans though. Just seems like a ton of hoops to jump through.

This is a good suggestion and is actually something we've tried to do. If you go to UNDsports.com and click on the 'TV/Radio' tab, the drop-down menu should offer information for virtually any way you are trying to watch our programming, including mobile. I encourage everyone to familiarize themselves with that page, but to let us know if there are questions in there that are NOT answered.

No. As you were..

He stated many times that the iPAD app was not ready yet.

Up to game time it WAS printed and expressed that the mobile option to include iphone and android would work.

On the live chat Matt commented that they had no idea why the IPHONE app was not working and appologized yet offered no solution.

Matt offered no solution because he didn't have one, unfortunately. Matt does not operate and execute our apps, Neulion does. We were told the iPhone app would be up and running in time for the Manitoba game and when it wasn't, there was literally nothing Matt could have done to fix the problem.

We have a conference call with Neulion this morning about this particular issue, so hopefully we can get some answers ASAP on this.

We will also follow up with them on behalf of our viewers who had problems with the live stream. As I mentioned earlier, we received 13 help desk tickets out of about 1300 viewers, so we will ask Neulion if there were common themes or issues with the complaints, possible solutions, etc.

wonder if thy will ever get rid of that get on your feet song

I'm no mod, but I kindly ask that we keep this thread on topic so you folks can better get your webcast questions answered. The less ancillary stuff we have to sift through, the easier it will be to address your feedback. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

I'm no mod, but I kindly ask that we keep this thread on topic so you folks can better get your webcast questions answered. The less ancillary stuff we have to sift through, the easier it will be to address your feedback. Thanks.

Yeah, it's not like things get off-topic around here ever...:)