SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Webcast

siouxfan512

With the appropriate ap downloaded to your ipad.

That is my understanding. There is no app that is native specifically to the Apple TV box, so it is not directly the same as Netflix. However, if you have the UND sports app on your ipad you can "airplay" it via your wireless network to the apple TV box, which will then display it on your connected TV.

Sorry if this has been posted already(I'm sure it has) but I can't seem to find the answer. I have the UNDSports app on the iphone and have a monthly subscription to UNDSports online so I pay month to month to watch the games.

When I attempt to watch a live event on my IPhone, it says I have to upgrade my app for $5. Do I have to pay this in addition to the monthly charge I am paying for my UNDsports subscription or is there some way to get around this to watch games on my Iphone?

Sorry if this has been posted already(I'm sure it has) but I can't seem to find the answer. I have the UNDSports app on the iphone and have a monthly subscription to UNDSports online so I pay month to month to watch the games.

When I attempt to watch a live event on my IPhone, it says I have to upgrade my app for $5. Do I have to pay this in addition to the monthly charge I am paying for my UNDsports subscription or is there some way to get around this to watch games on my Iphone?

Also looking for the answer to this one. Thanks for asking it.

I had to.

I think it would be very helpful and informative if people would elaborate on what equipment they are using at home to see who is having trouble and who isn't. Computer processor speed ? Download speed from server? running cable from computer to tv? Google tv device such as vizio costar? Chromecast? If there really are problems on the users ends we should start to see a pattern.

I was referring to the video-cast available on the Miami site... what you are referring to will only provide the radio broadcast

Thats incorrect, if you are a UND insider you can view the Saturday webcast through unds site because they use the same provider as does 5 of 8 NCHC teams.

I think it would be very helpful and informative if people would elaborate on what equipment they are using at home to see who is having trouble and who isn't. Computer processor speed ? Download speed from server? running cable from computer to tv? Google tv device such as vizio costar? Chromecast? If there really are problems on the users ends we should start to see a pattern.

I have had a FANTASTIC experience using the following:

- Windows 7 OS on my laptop with Internet Explorer

- shut off your wireless and using an Ethernet cord from device to modem (my modem is whatever Cable One is leasing me)

- I have a $12 HDMI cord from Menards

- I run a minute or two behind LIVE and NEVER use the "Best" quality options... 720p has proven better in terms of visual and audio quality

I have little to no issues. I don't even know what kind of modem or cords I have and my wife's laptop is 3 years old but I have had a great experience over 3 games so far

Jayson, any update on the ipad app?

Are you running iOS 7 on your iPad? If so, I'm not sure that there will be a huge benefit to an app specifically for the iPad. The iPhone app seems to work just fine - it seems to know how big your screen is - no need (or option) to hit the "2x" button to enlarge the image to come close to filling the screen.

Since I've posted my isp download speeds from neulion vs. other servers (neulion's are half the speed, 6 Mbps to 9Mbps on speed test.net, servers through North America, 3-4 Mbps on neulion servers), you are right, they now question my computer, my usage, etc, etc, etc. Neulion state 3-4 Mbps should be enough speed.

My PC is windows 7, 64 bit, processor AMD Phenom II, 3.3 Ghz, 16GB RAM. I've used IE and chrome, have stuck with chrome since it's worked best, Wireless internet connection/hdmi from PC to TV. Anything that normally starts up is shut down prior to game time, all cache emptied, and CPU usage is really low when I start the stream.

BTW, I use this wireless connection to stream HDX movies from Vudu with no problem, as well as many other streams. Only neulions stream has problems, although the problems have been more annoying than really bad. But, with all the speed and hardware that I have, I can assure you it's not on my end, unless neulion servers just don't play nice with my isp.

However, neulion, no matter how much info I send them continues to dream up new reasons why the problems are on my end.

I'm more than a bit anal on making electronic stuff work when it doesn't, and figuring out (or trying to figure out) why it doesn't work perfectly, I am currently stymied on this one.

• Upvote 3

FWIW I have a five year old laptop with an intel 1.87 ghz cpu, 2gb RAM, 32 bit. I use midco's xstream 1, so from what I ather I should have sufficient download capacity. Last Friday I tried the hockey webcast and it was a bit jittery, although I did not try multiple resolution options. From what it sounds like getting a newer computer would not help much, nor would going to a google tv device. I've looked at the vizio costar and netgear prime. Ive also looked at chromecast which by necessity uses an existing device to interface with your tv unlike the netgear or vizio. While chromecast requires a minimum 2 ghz cpu on your computer, the Vizio costar has only 1.2 ghz, which suprises me. I am by coincidence also looking into "cutting the chord" on cable and just going to web tv and whatever I can get out of my roof antenna.

Since I've posted my isp download speeds from neulion vs. other servers (neulion's are half the speed, 6 Mbps to 9Mbps on speed test.net, servers through North America, 3-4 Mbps on neulion servers), you are right, they now question my computer, my usage, etc, etc, etc. Neulion state 3-4 Mbps should be enough speed.

My PC is windows 7, 64 bit, processor AMD Phenom II, 3.3 Ghz, 16GB RAM. I've used IE and chrome, have stuck with chrome since it's worked best, Wireless internet connection/hdmi from PC to TV. Anything that normally starts up is shut down prior to game time, all cache emptied, and CPU usage is really low when I start the stream.

BTW, I use this wireless connection to stream HDX movies from Vudu with no problem, as well as many other streams. Only neulions stream has problems, although the problems have been more annoying than really bad. But, with all the speed and hardware that I have, I can assure you it's not on my end, unless neulion servers just don't play nice with my isp.

However, neulion, no matter how much info I send them continues to dream up new reasons why the problems are on my end.

I'm more than a bit anal on making electronic stuff work when it doesn't, and figuring out (or trying to figure out) why it doesn't work perfectly, I am currently stymied on this one.

Maybe, the Neulion software isn't optimized for 64 bit processors?

Alternatively, it could just be a Midco hardware issue since some on here have indicated that they get streams from other facilities/schools on Neulion and they work better.

I would start there..

Jayson,

Although I realize that the game replay is not the number one issue your customers are having, as I have noted before, it is a big deal to me.

If you recall, a couple of weeks ago you checked into the timing of the replay being put on the und sports site to which you reported that Matt Schill said it would be on later that night.

So far the Manitoba game has made that mark while both games the opening weekend were not added until the next day.

I have no idea how many other fans care about this but I would think in the world of DVR one of the frustrations with going to web based broadcasts is the lose of the ability to stop the broadcast and resume later.

Now if the reality of the situations is that I cannot count of the replay being there later in the evening then I can solve the problem by recording it to a DVD recorder or buy a stand alone DVR of some sort but none of that is as easy as signing in and watching the game on the UND insider replay.

...also could you please tell the media crew to NOT put the outcome/score of the game on any of the pop up tags in the UND insider app. They usually don't but they did for the Sat game against Vermont. If one wants to view the game in replay without knowing the outcome that can be an enormous obstacle.

FWIW I have a five year old laptop with an intel 1.87 ghz cpu, 2gb RAM, 32 bit. I use midco's xstream 1, so from what I ather I should have sufficient download capacity. Last Friday I tried the hockey webcast and it was a bit jittery, although I did not try multiple resolution options. From what it sounds like getting a newer computer would not help much, nor would going to a google tv device. I've looked at the vizio costar and netgear prime. Ive also looked at chromecast which by necessity uses an existing device to interface with your tv unlike the netgear or vizio. While chromecast requires a minimum 2 ghz cpu on your computer, the Vizio costar has only 1.2 ghz, which suprises me. I am by coincidence also looking into "cutting the chord" on cable and just going to web tv and whatever I can get out of my roof antenna.

Don't know where you live but if you can get locals with your antenna I can say it's an amazing deal:)

Maybe, the Neulion software isn't optimized for 64 bit processors?

Alternatively, it could just be a Midco hardware issue since some on here have indicated that they get streams from other facilities/schools on Neulion and they work better.

I would start there..

I have been able to stream it great on a 64-bit computer.

Don't know where you live but if you can get locals with your antenna I can say it's an amazing deal:)

I live in Vermillion, SD (and no I am not a Coyotes fan). Can get the Sioux City stations pretty clearly in the winter when all the leaves on my backyard maple are down.

Jason,

I'm bumming. Just bought a new Panasonic Smart TV mainly to be able to watch Sioux sporting events on the TV web browser, only to find out that the TV won't play the video because it's in flash. I talked to Neulion (they weren't very nice) and they said basically too bad, so sad. Any chance that you guys could "encourage" Neulion to either get an app for smart TVs or offer a format other than flash. I think there are probably a few other people besides me who are in the same boat. If they don't change the format from flash it won't be able to be run on most android devices either. I know that my Samsung tablets don't support flash.

• Upvote 1

The iPhone app works very well with an iPad - I think the upgrade to iOS 7 might have helped with that too. Be sure the iPad is running iOS 4.3 or later - I would advise updating to the latest possible iOS before using to stream with Apple TV. Target was selling Apple TV for $95 this weekend - not nothing, but when compared to a FTA satellite setup, not unreasonable either. You'll also need an HDMI cable to hook up the Apple TV to your HDTV - I happened to have an extra, so I didn't have to lay out more cash for that. Apple TV also allows you to stream other things such as Netflix, etc., if that is of any interest or benefit.

Have IOS 7 on the ipad. I'm going to try the app, hooking up to the TV with the lightening digital AV adapter. Hope that works. I've downloaded the ap and bought the upgrade and have watched on demand video via the ap.

Have gone through a lot of hardware to keep getting Sioux sports, stopped short of getting a HD box for FTA until I was sure we'd get it fta, which, or course, we don't. Hope there aren't even more hardware purchased needed in the future :sad: