SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Just wondering, the guys like Pflugrad and DeBoer - what type of offenses and defenses do they run? did either of them run a 3-4 defense like UND has?

Welcome to the board - it is good to see quite a few new members posting!

I will let someone more knowledgeable answer your questions.

If it is Pflu he had to add someone that knows ND and MN. Keep Freund on for Wisconsin. With FU replacing their staff we need coaches with relationships in those areas to get back on target recruiting.

That was why I was sold on Bollinger. Instant cred in those areas. Too bad he is not applying. I also expect the UND ties are Bubba and not Tibesar.

Of course he has but it's a bit different from a coaching level.....I just think some folks here like him because of his name and that's it, They are just trying to rationalize with his limited coaching experience. That is just my opinion. We will have many applicants who are much more qualified.

I don't want Bollinger because I don't think he's what we need right now. If he is hired and kicks ass I'll be first in line to eat crow. If the moon were made of crow, heck, I'd have seconds.

• Upvote 3

So is anyone else nervous about the list of candidates? I realize from the get go that everyone said the best candidates would more than likely apply on 12/10 but we only have one applicant that interests me, Pflugrad.

I'm rapidly approaching that point. I felt all along that at best Pflugrad was a longshot. But given who else has actually applied, he's head and shoulders above everybody else IMO.

Nervous? No.

Pflugrad hands down has the best resume. I'm still also very intrigued by Jamie Marshall and Jovan Dewitt. IMO, all three are plenty qualified for the position.

Outside of Tibesar, who I have always felt was the longest of long shots, I really don't know what big name everyone is hoping applies. Bollinger is not qualified IMO. Every other "UND" guy out there is currently at Southern Illinois. Of all of them, only Bubba would be a serious candidate, I think.

The only mystery/last minute guy that I hope slips an application in is Glenn Caruso. But even if he was considering it to start with, the new vacancy at NDSU is probably much more appealing to him.

I had also hoped that Klieman would apply, before the Bohl/Wyoming news broke.

• Upvote 1

I don't want Bollinger because I don't think he's what we need right now. If he is hired and kicks ass I'll be first in line to eat crow.

I agree. This program needs someone who is going to be a "father figure" to the players. Someone who has had experience in mentoring student-athletes and rebuilding a program. If our head coach had just retired after 5 straight seven, eight, or nine win seasons, I'd feel better about an up-and-comer like Bollinger. I just question whether he is the guy to plug the holes on what recently has been a sinking ship............................

I thought it also said "or until filled."

Didn't believe it was a hard deadline.

Unless that changed.

You are correct. Normally they use a hard time for the initial listing. This time it states that applications that are in by by the deadline will get first consideration. They can fill the position any time after the deadline, but can't fill it before the deadline. But applications can be sent in any time until the position is filled. For people trying to avoid the publicity you would expect them to apply either late on Tuesday or early Wednesday.

I was a DeBoer guy. Now? I see better names on the list, plus his time at SIU isn't setting the world on fire.

I don't see Tibesar coming back to UND from the NFL just like I wouldn't see Babich leaving the NFL for NDSU either.

Pflugrad is intriguing, but there's still the specter of events at Montana. How do you deal with that?

See: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865583675/NCAA-suspends-WSU-OC-Robin-Pflugrad-in-connection-with-Montana-sanctions.html?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

I'm surprised more folks aren't talking about Rob Ianello.

I was a DeBoer guy. Now? I see better names on the list, plus his time at SIU isn't setting the world on fire.

I don't see Tibesar coming back to UND from the NFL just like I wouldn't see Babich leaving the NFL for NDSU either.

Pflugrad is intriguing, but there's still the specter of events at Montana. How do you deal with that?

See: http://www.deseretne...www.google.com/

I'm surprised more folks aren't talking about Rob Ianello.

He has a lot of experience, but with a 2-22 career record as a head coach, it would be tough to get too excited about the prospect of him turning things around at UND: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Ianello

screw bubba!

I put Schweigert in the same category as DeBoer: What has he done at SIU?

Ianello? Yeah, 2-22. But I do believe he would be able to assemble a staff and recruit. My concern, yes, would be he didn't do so well inheriting someone else's mess last time, but he probably has a lot of lessons learned from that too.

Not that I think he's the best person for the UND head coaching job, but I feel like it was a travesty what happened to him. He deserves to get back into coaching. I would have no problem if whomever the new coach is hires him as an assistant.

I agree. What happened to Todd Hoffner was beyond a travesty. He deserves to coach again and I hope he gets a chance.

Tib would be a 100% slam dunk but there is a 0.01% chance it happens. Caruso is a reach IMO. Faison gets Pflu and which ND school now can say it has a coach who won a FCS title? And let me put it this way...Griz FB is on par or slightly above UND hockey to their respective fan bases. Ever been to a home Griz game?? If not and you are a FB fan it's a must see. Pflu can handle the "expectations" here...he was the man at Montana!

How secure is Tibesar's job. What if the Bears don't make the playoffs? They just gave away a game to Vikings by choosing to kick a 47 yard field goal on 2nd down in OT. I am sure that coaching decision won't be forgotten if they miss the playoffs by a game.