SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Whether you agree or not I highly doubt UND would hire anyone off the Bison staff. It just isn't going to happen. It might not be smart but I doubt it would ever happen.

Fiason doesn't have the dislike for NDSU that previous ADs have. He will hire whomever he feels is the best candidate regardless of what school they come from.

• Upvote 3

The herald should be asking Klieman every day if he has communicated with Faison regarding the UND position.

I heard that Vigen, Hazelton, and Klieman have all been contacted by Faison and all declined. Sounds like Mr. Faison has been contacting coaches and has a couple of good ones interested. If it's a Dec hire probably not a bowl or playoff team.

Hiring someone off the Bison staff not smart? If you set the rivalry aside, Klieman has led the #1 FCS defense and team over the past few years in the state of North Dakota. That makes him a tremendous candidate. If Montana instead of NDSU had won back to back national championships because of their defense, would you not be interested in their defensive coordinator? Of course you would.

For what it's worth, if true, Klieman would make an incredible head coach here at UND.

I heard that Vigen, Hazelton, and Klieman have all been contacted by Faison and all declined. Sounds like Mr. Faison has been contacting coaches and has a couple of good ones interested. If it's a Dec hire probably not a bowl or playoff team.

Actually that's not really a factor, there have been quite a few 'lame-duck' coaches who have coached teams in playoffs/Bowl games after committing to another program. That said, it would probably have to be a coordinator or asst. head coach in this situation because the chances of a HC from a playoff or Bowl team coming to UND are probably not good because they have a good situation where they're at.

So based on your posting history that means at least one of them is interested in the job. Good to know!

• Upvote 1

I wonder how many inaccuracies one person can have in a single post?

• Upvote 1

I heard he hasn't contacted any of them.

I heard BF has reached out to the Dos Equis man. He doesn't always coach defense but when he does it comes with teh crazy speed. Good luck with your search, it will be interesting to see the group of candidates UND brings on campus and how it all plays out.

• Upvote 2

What are people's thoughts realistically if any of the assistant coaches will be retained?

I would really like to see Kotelnicki stay on in some role. I just like the way he coaches. Special Teams were obviously very good when he was in charge of that area.

The only other guy I feel really kind of strong about staying is Danny Freund. I think he was a great QB, a very cerebral one, and could do good things as a QB coach. He is a coach's kid, and being from Wisconsin could potentially already have and build important pipelines to recruiting in that state which has always been important to this program.

What are people's thoughts realistically if any of the assistant coaches will be retained?

I would really like to see Kotelnicki stay on in some role. I just like the way he coaches. Special Teams were obviously very good when he was in charge of that area.

The only other guy I feel really kind of strong about staying is Danny Freund. I think he was a great QB, a very cerebral one, and could do good things as a QB coach. He is a coach's kid, and being from Wisconsin could potentially already have and build important pipelines to recruiting in that state which has always been important to this program.

I would like to see one or both of those guys retained in some capacity. I realize many feel there needs to be a complete reboot, but as you mention, Kotelnicki has been a very good special teams coordinator in the past, and you really saw that area struggle this year once he was no longer in charge.

Freund is a really personable guy, and had the unenviable task of working with all freshmen quarterbacks this year. While obviously there were a lot of struggles there, I have a hard time holding him responsible for the fact that there were no upperclassmen at that position, and no running game to take the pressure off the qb's. I suppose his retention may depend in part on whether the new coach has a lot of contacts himself in Wisconsin.

Maybe it isn't, I don't know. I'm just not sure it would work financially. Tibesar has held some very high profile positions in the Big 12 and Big 10, and is now in the NFL. He seems to be on an upward path at the moment that I think may not include a stop in the FCS ranks................

Tibesar made 250k as Purdue D coordinator last year...rookie linebacker coach in NFL would be about the same so financially it would be similar. He has no head coaching experience so you have to start somewhere as a head coach if your ultimate goal is to coach FBS or NFL as they rarely hire anyone without head coaching experience at that level. Throw in the fact his wife is from GF and he played and coached here in the past and it starts to make more sence. In addition I am sure the chance to be the head coach and run the show is enticing for him. Settling down for a few years in a familiar place to raise his young family would also be appealing for him and his family. IMO he would be interested in this job.

Luke seemed to be a pretty good recruiter in Illinois. Not sure where he would fit in on a new staff though. Agree on what you mentioned as well.

Tibesar made 250k as Purdue D coordinator last year...rookie linebacker coach in NFL would be about the same so financially it would be similar. He has no head coaching experience so you have to start somewhere as a head coach if your ultimate goal is to coach FBS or NFL as they rarely hire anyone without head coaching experience at that level. Throw in the fact his wife is from GF and he played and coached here in the past and it starts to make more sence. In addition I am sure the chance to be the head coach and run the show is enticing for him. Settling down for a few years in a familiar place to raise his young family would also be appealing for him and his family. IMO he would be interested in this job.

Of the current NFL coaches, approximately 75% of them had their first head coaching position in the NFL. It has actually become pretty rare for head coaches in college to move to the NFL. There are exceptions, but the normal career path now is to start as a position coach at either the college level or the NFL (some move back and forth at this level), then pick a path that will take them to a coordinator position and then to head coach in either a college path or an NFL path. If Tibesar likes coaching in the NFL and has decided that he is interested in becoming a head coach in the NFL then it is very unlikely that he would consider coming back to UND at all.
  • Upvote 3

Of the current NFL coaches, approximately 75% of them had their first head coaching position in the NFL. It has actually become pretty rare for head coaches in college to move to the NFL. There are exceptions, but the normal career path now is to start as a position coach at either the college level or the NFL (some move back and forth at this level), then pick a path that will take them to a coordinator position and then to head coach in either a college path or an NFL path. If Tibesar likes coaching in the NFL and has decided that he is interested in becoming a head coach in the NFL then it is very unlikely that he would consider coming back to UND at all.

Such a true statement. With the Vikings which maybe why they can't win. After Bud Grant, only Dennis Green and Jerry Burns had Head Coaching experience at the NCAA level. With those two Green having a winning percentage of less than 30% and Burns's head coaching experience happened over 20 years prior to being hired in the NFL as a head coach. With all that worthless knowledge said I doubt Tibesar is going anywhere but if he does we would be lucky to have him. I will also bet my first born that Bollinger is not coming here as a OC. If UND can get him now as a Head Coach we should take him. His Quarterback at PItt this year has made massive strides (no INTs since 2nd game of the season) and people are noticing. The only way he's staying in Pittsburgh after this year is if he's the OC. If not he will be a OC somewhere else in the BCS. If he wants to come here UND should do what it takes to get him. He's been around more football than anyone on this board can fathom. He knows the game, he knows how to win, he knows people and most of all people in GF know him. LIfe in the the program would be instantaneously revived and butts would be back in the seats. Not that filling the seats is the only reason to hire him.

• Upvote 2

This is true. Just off the top of my head, Bill Belichick, John Harbaugh, Gary Kubiack, and Gus Bradley are all examples of NFL head coaches that spent no time as head coaches in the college ranks. Who knows if Tim Tibesar will wind up on the same path, but in my eyes, that is the trajectory he seems to be navigating. IMO, LB coach in the NFL can be a springboard to much more than a less than elite DI head coaching position in the NCAA.........................

If you want to get a guy like bollinger from the FBS ranks, you have to take a chance and do it now. If you wait until he has the experience to to be definite good get, you won't be able to compete with the offers other FBs schools will be making. Of course hiring him now would be a risk; hie may never develop into the winning coach we are looking for.